Opinion of your state's SoS
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:25:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of your state's SoS
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Opinion of your state's SoS  (Read 1221 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 17, 2012, 12:59:23 AM »

Elaine Marshall- Massive FF, my favorite elected statewide official in NC

Tom Schedler- Neutral; 'hasn't done anything to particularly merit being an HP.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 02:02:45 AM »

Mark Martin-I am neutral on him but if i cut down very far, then hp.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 02:12:18 AM »

Mark Ritchie has been A OK.  His main objective has been to increase voter turnout and make voting easier.

His proposed solution in the voter ID debate is to have a database of DMV photos for registered voters so a photo ID is not necessary at the polls.

Of course since the amendment failed, he might just opt to skip any photo ID action since voter fraud is very low.  There have been two cases so far from the 2012 election in MN.  And guess what.. they had valid state ID when they registered.
Svensson
NVTownsend

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 02:16:16 AM »

Maxfield is hard to peg purely because he seemingly never does anything. Ever.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 02:21:48 AM »

William Francis Galvin. Neutral to lean FF. He's had his ups and downs, but he's been content to serve Massachusetts in the same capacity since 1995. Not sure why, but I feel like that's meaningful.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 04:39:37 AM »

In think the French "SoS" would be the Interior Minister, so Manuel Valls. Mixed. He's a pompous Moderate Hero (kinda of the Evan Bayh type, ie a guy who tries much too hard to look like the sound centrist and distance himself from the rest of his party every time he has an occasion). On the other hand, he's generally a competent guy and has always done the job he's been given pretty well. He's also a good speaker, and beyond the moderate-heroish fluff I think he does have convictions.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 06:25:33 AM »

In think the French "SoS" would be the Interior Minister, so Manuel Valls. Mixed. He's a pompous Moderate Hero (kinda of the Evan Bayh type, ie a guy who tries much too hard to look like the sound centrist and distance himself from the rest of his party every time he has an occasion). On the other hand, he's generally a competent guy and has always done the job he's been given pretty well. He's also a good speaker, and beyond the moderate-heroish fluff I think he does have convictions.

He is much of an improvement compared to Guéant/Hortefeux, through.

I suppose than the Canadian equivalent is the Chief Electoral Officer of Canada.
It's a public servant, with a very long term. Since the position was created in 1920, there was 6 of them. To give you an idea, their terms lasted 8, 23, 18, 25 and 18 years. The current is there is 2007, Marc Mayrand, which was Superintendant of Bankruptcy before that.

His job is to be neutral, discreet and competent, so I suppose never hearing of him is good.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 06:29:58 AM »

Ken Detzner: Neutral, lean FF. We had some voting irregularities, but that's pretty normal cause it's Florida, and he says he'll be investigating. Decision pending whether he really does or not.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 06:34:20 AM »

He is much of an improvement compared to Guéant/Hortefeux, through.

In the rhetoric, definitely (and rhetoric is very important to me). The actual immigration policy, however, does not seem to be changing in any meaningful way. France is becoming a far-right country on this issue, so even the left has to cope with the general xenophobia. That's pretty heart-wrenching.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 08:29:13 AM »

Alison Grimes is probably the best looking elected official in Kentucky and the most progressive. Massive FF, hopefully she'll take out McConnell in '14.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 09:16:45 AM »
« Edited: December 17, 2012, 09:19:46 AM by Hashemite »

No, Valls' immigration policies are basically the same as Guéant/Hortefeux's xenophobic race-baiting stuff; just packaged more nicely in a more moderate and less repulsive way. I kind of liked Valls when he was the only candidate in the PS primaries who didn't regurgitate the failed True Leftist/PS pablum; but since he's turned out to be a lite version of Collabo Milicien Guéant, he can go die in a fire for all I care (alongside the rest of this horrible, incompetent government of morons and doofuses).

When it actually comes to administering elections, the Ministry of the Interior also fails really, really hard. I mean, seriously, the only source for results of the 2008 municipal elections is the Figaro newspaper.

Canada's equivalent of an interior minister is probably the Public Safety Minister, Vic Toews, a horrible freedom-hating idiot who is one of the government's worst ministers (given how they're all horrible...)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 09:41:17 AM »

Don't know her but her bio is impressive...and I'm a Corbett fan so I hope he appointed a good one.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 11:22:57 AM »

Canada's equivalent of an interior minister is probably the Public Safety Minister, Vic Toews, a horrible freedom-hating idiot who is one of the government's worst ministers (given how they're all horrible...)

Oh, Mister "If you oppose police being able to track IP addresses without a court order, you are pro-pedophile."

Too bad he didn't resigned out of shame after that and the Vikileaks thing.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 01:53:59 PM »

Our chief electoral officer, Marc Mayrand: FF. Our public safety minister, Vic Toews- HP.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 02:03:22 PM »

Ruth Johnson: FF.  Don't know about anythint she's done to merit an HP vote (or an FF, but that's still my vote.)  Candice Miller was a massive FF, but she's now in Congress.
Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 02:52:29 PM »

Ben Ysursa- a FF in my Book, hasn't done anything to make him a HP.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 04:32:33 PM »

Delbert Hosemann -- FF.

He's generally a good guy, and I suspect he will be running for Senate in 2014 should Cochran decide to retire. 
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 04:54:49 PM »

Mark Hammond - innocuous, but unlike most states, he has nothing to do with elections here.  That's handled by the State Election Commission and the county election commissions, which mostly do a good job.  (Richland County being a notable exception and even there it's incompetence, not partisanship that's the problem.)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 05:59:48 PM »

We have done worse here in Florida.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 06:08:54 PM »

What would Australia's equivalent of an SoS be?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2012, 06:29:30 PM »

Don't know his/her name or anything about him/her, but considering that New York is still counting ballots, massive HP.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2012, 06:53:08 PM »

Glenn Coffee - fought to repeal the state grocery tax, don't know any of his family values junk, so FF until proven HP.

Previous SoS: Susan Savage - fairly strong mayor of Tulsa, wasn't into power hunger like the LaFortunes, so FF.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2012, 07:06:41 PM »

While I likely would've voted for ours, she (I think) kept Gary Johnson off the ballot, and that's unforgivable.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2012, 07:50:06 PM »

Electoral commissioner
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2012, 08:08:29 PM »

Ritchie is really good as noted and a big opponent of Republican voter disenfranchisement.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies