2013 Elections in Germany
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:45:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2013 Elections in Germany
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 78
Author Topic: 2013 Elections in Germany  (Read 272260 times)
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1775 on: September 24, 2013, 07:39:25 AM »

Now, if they tried to "overthrow" Merkel after she almost got an absolute majority, it would be certainly perceived as a coup d'état, with even worse media response. I am sure there'd also be assassination attempts against SPD and Green leaders; some media would even condone this.

Excessive hyperbole, much...

Status of coalition talks:

CSU doesn't want to govern with the Greens, parts of the SPD don't want to govern with the CDU. Nobody wants to do Red-Red-Green except for the Left.

Does Germany do minority government?

In theory they could, but it's never been done before on the Federal Level, only on state level. It's not like in Scandinavia where it's basicly the norm.   
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #1776 on: September 24, 2013, 07:56:50 AM »

This is the map on the "Yes" vote in the Hamburg referendum on re-purchase of energy grids (electricity, gas, distance heating)

Inner city (densely populated, left-leaning) for it, suburbs against. Looks like distance heating (450,000 households ~ 45% connected) decided it.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1777 on: September 24, 2013, 08:56:36 AM »

CSU doesn't want to govern with the Greens, parts of the SPD don't want to govern with the CDU. Nobody wants to do Red-Red-Green except for the Left.

Does Germany do minority government?

The idea of a Merkel minority government has already been floated... from within the SPD of all things. Mainly because the SPD doesn't really want to enter a coalition with the CDU at the moment.

But it seems like a pretty far-fetched scenario.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1778 on: September 24, 2013, 08:58:44 AM »

SPD still worrying about joining a Grand.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1779 on: September 24, 2013, 08:59:18 AM »
« Edited: September 24, 2013, 09:06:30 AM by Old Europe »

Status of the Greens:

Party leader Clauda Roth - GONE

Party leader Cem Özdemir - STAYS

Parliamentary leader Renate Künast - GONE

Parliamentary leader/lead candidate Jürgen Trittin - GONE

Lead candidate Katrin Göring-Eckardt - wants to succeed Künast

Likely Trittin successor - Toni Hofreiter, currently chairman of the transportation committee of the Bundestag
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #1780 on: September 24, 2013, 09:10:04 AM »

I hope the election result will trigger a debate about the 5% threshold. In my view it is problematic that nearly 16% of the voters are not represented in the new Bundestag.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1781 on: September 24, 2013, 09:12:15 AM »

I hope the election result will trigger a debate about the 5% threshold. In my view it is problematic that nearly 16% of the voters are not represented in the new Bundestag.

Maybe there's gonna be some debate, but I think it's unlikely that anything will change.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1782 on: September 24, 2013, 09:21:23 AM »

Besides, as BaconKing pointed earlier, you can have even more disenfranchised voters with a lower threshold, as has been seen in Greece last year. So a lower threshold of 4 or 3% doesn't necessarily (though it does statistically) mean less disenfranchised voters.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1783 on: September 24, 2013, 09:26:49 AM »
« Edited: September 24, 2013, 09:32:58 AM by Old Europe »

Quite frankly, the only way the electoral system ever changes is when the Consitutional Court orders the politicians to do so. The political elite itself isn't interested in changing the status quo.

So someone would have to file a complain against the 5% threshold and then the Court would have to rule it unconstitutional.

(That's how the 5% threshold for EU elections was lowered to a 3% threshold btw.)
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix
E: -9.25, S: -8.15

« Reply #1784 on: September 24, 2013, 09:38:07 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
To be correct, the Constitutional Court ruled it unconstitutional and therefore abolished and the bigger parties imposed this three percen threshold which is not even signed into law by now, but could possibly be overridden by the Constitutional Court as well.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1785 on: September 24, 2013, 10:24:39 AM »

There won't be a Red-Red-Green government because the SPD are stupid.

If there was a RRG coalition, the SPD would likely drop below 20% at the next federal election.

You said this even before the election though. Why would a government with Die Linke make them go below 20%? Let's assume hypothetically that SPD, Die Linke, and the Greens had won 51%.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1786 on: September 24, 2013, 10:32:35 AM »

I get the impression that you would not be bleating if the two parties under the threshold were the Greens and the Left.

Of course, in theory all voters are 'represented' to some degree as Germany has territorial constituencies as well as party lists. And even if you laugh at that, quite a few of those 16% will have voted for a different party on the constituency ballot.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1787 on: September 24, 2013, 10:39:55 AM »

If there was a RRG coalition, the SPD would likely drop below 20% at the next federal election.

You said this even before the election though. Why would a government with Die Linke make them go below 20%? Let's assume hypothetically that SPD, Die Linke, and the Greens had won 51%.

I think the concern is a repeat of what happened in Hesse after the 2008 state election. Though it's observably true that the Left has become less toxic over time and it's obvious that this will continue pretty much indefinitely and incrementally. Suspect also that it could only be tried if it was widely felt that the CDU had been defeated.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1788 on: September 24, 2013, 10:46:25 AM »

It's not a glaringly obvious in this case because 1) Germany has a history of grand coalitions and 2) AfD didn't actually make it into parliament but really this is another example of the shift towards protest parties making an ideological government impossible.

It's the same thing that happened in Italy, the Czech Republic, The Netherlands, Belgium, and Greece.

Although some of those cases are worse than others, there's a clear trend of traditional right or left governments being unable to achieve majorities due to protest parties.

This is seriously starting to be a real problem and it's only going to get worse. Something needs to be done. A switch to a presidential system would be the most obvious fix but that's probably too radical.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #1789 on: September 24, 2013, 10:52:47 AM »

I get the impression that you would not be bleating if the two parties under the threshold were the Greens and the Left.

I don't care if it's a right-wing or left-wing party which is the victim of the 5% threshold. I'm not German so it doesn't directly affect me whether Germany is governed by a left-wing or a right-wing coalition anyway. I just think that a threshold of 5% is too high and prevents too many parties from entering the Bundestag.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1790 on: September 24, 2013, 11:26:22 AM »

To be honest I think a greater toleration of minority governments is probably the solution, or at least something that we can all pretend is a solution.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1791 on: September 24, 2013, 11:28:03 AM »

Anyways, party list map time. Two sets of three I think - Right (CDU, FDP, AfD) and Left (SPD, DL, Greens). Time to fiddle with making keys...
ERvND
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #1792 on: September 24, 2013, 12:03:17 PM »

As a SPD supporter, and from a purely strategic point of view, I'd prefer a black-green coalition.

A new grand coalition, as has been explained many times, would probably lead to the final end of the SPD as a major party.

A CDU minority government, tolerated by the SPD, has some appeal. But the risk is far too high that Merkel induces new elections after a period of time, almost inevitably leading to a real absolute majority or at least a new black-yellow coalition.

Black-green, on the other hand, can benefit the SPD. I think that almost one third of their voters, and also some members, would immediately switch to the SPD. In the long run, Merkel would destroy the Greens as she did with SPD and FDP, and a big number of their supporters would come back to the SPD. Caveat: If the Greens go the FDP's way, they'd fall out of many state parliaments, bringing the red-green coalitions there to an end (not many states have the potential for a SPD-only government, as in Hamburg). Maybe they'd even fall under 5% in the 2017 federal elections, voiding every chance for a new red-green government. But still, of all options, I think this one is the best. 
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1793 on: September 24, 2013, 12:25:30 PM »

Point taken about the CDU moving towards the SPD in alot of policies.  One question I have is had the SPD been in government the last four years, say in a red-green coalition, what would they have done differently than the outgoing coalition?

There would be a universal minimum wage of 8.50 EUR an hour industry-specific but legally binding minimum wages in every industry, efforts would have been made to switch healthcare to a single-payer system instead of the "mixed" system we have now and the top income tax rate would have been increased.

Also, there would be no Betreuungsgeld (child care subsidy) and more money would have been put into renewable energies.

That's basically it, I think.
The Energiewende concept would have been less blatantly tailored to saving the big providers' market shares and government subsidies despite taking their nuclear power plants away.
Also, we'd probably still have the Praxisgebühr (one of the best things this government did, and something we can thank the FDP for).
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #1794 on: September 24, 2013, 12:26:28 PM »

Because they went into the election promising they weren't going to enter a coalition with them. + it would probably end in tears, since large chunks of the Left really are in no position to govern at the federal level.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1795 on: September 24, 2013, 12:28:19 PM »

Let me make sure I'm understanding you guys right when you talk about how the CDU has changed.

Are you saying:

The CDU used to be a socially conservative party that embraced the mixed economy.

Under Merkel it's a socially liberal party that wants to implement mild liberal reforms to the economy?
The CDU does what it always has done best, which is preserve the status quo.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1796 on: September 24, 2013, 12:29:16 PM »

Forgive me if this answer has already been explained, but how come there won't be a SPD/Green/The Left coalition? I know that the SPD has ruled it out, but why?

Die Linke are toxic. Associated with the GDR, etc.
The big thing would be the foreign policy (NATO, Afghanistan etc) stances.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1797 on: September 24, 2013, 12:31:45 PM »

And on another note, is there a good English-language source anywhere for German state elections since 1949? Wikipedia has good articles on ones since 2000, but I can find only very little from before then.
You mean, descriptions of campaigns etc?

I doubt you'll find a good German-language source.

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1798 on: September 24, 2013, 12:34:09 PM »

They don't really want to govern either, they're just scoring cheap points that work on some on the left wings of the SPD and Green votership.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1799 on: September 24, 2013, 12:38:12 PM »

He is nonetheless quite right, though. (The territorial constituencies are a joke.)
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies