2013 Elections in Germany
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:50:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2013 Elections in Germany
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 78
Author Topic: 2013 Elections in Germany  (Read 271315 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: April 08, 2013, 08:49:34 AM »

This is actually pretty much the first election (even though it's still 5 months away) in which I've been genuinely undecided. Odd feeling.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #551 on: April 08, 2013, 08:57:28 AM »

This is actually pretty much the first election (even though it's still 5 months away) in which I've been genuinely undecided. Odd feeling.
In which Wahlkreis are you voting? Have you always voted SPD?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #552 on: April 08, 2013, 09:09:25 AM »

In which Wahlkreis are you voting? Have you always voted SPD?

Odenwald:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundestagswahlkreis_Odenwald

Since 2008, I've voted CDU in elections at most levels (except for 1 or 2 defections to the FDP in my...stupid...teenage years.)

I think I've honestly turned into a social democrat, more or less, but I still believe in Merkel's competence and...with some reservations...tend to value her overall leadership at EU level. But ideological considerations, and the feeling that black-yellow doesn't stand for anything, are leading to me considering going Green. Problem is I really don't think Steinbrück would be any good.

Glad there's still 5 months to go...
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #553 on: April 08, 2013, 09:11:12 AM »

Do you have some kind of litmus test for one of your candidates that'll help you choose in these 5 months ?
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #554 on: April 08, 2013, 09:23:55 AM »

Odenwald:

Since 2008, I've voted CDU in elections at most levels (except for 1 or 2 defections to the FDP in my...stupid...teenage years.)

I think I've honestly turned into a social democrat, more or less, but I still believe in Merkel's competence and...with some reservations...tend to value her overall leadership at EU level. But ideological considerations, and the feeling that black-yellow doesn't stand for anything, are leading to me considering going Green. Problem is I really don't think Steinbrück would be any good.

Were you planning to vote CDU for the first vote, and then Grün for the second vote?

I'm sadly 4 months too young to vote in this election, but as a UK resident I guess I would have to cast a vote at the German embassy rather than voting in my home wahlkreis of Hamburg-Nord.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #555 on: April 08, 2013, 09:32:26 AM »

ideological considerations, and the feeling that black-yellow doesn't stand for anything, are leading to me considering going Green.

Dear lord, don't do that! The Greens' anti-nuclear histrionics prove that they are nowhere near responsible enough to be in government.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #556 on: April 08, 2013, 09:43:24 AM »

ideological considerations, and the feeling that black-yellow doesn't stand for anything, are leading to me considering going Green.

Dear lord, don't do that! The Greens' anti-nuclear histrionics prove that they are nowhere near responsible enough to be in government.

I agree on the nuclear issue, but that issue no longer being relevant in German politics makes it easier to stomach.

Who would you vote for? (You'll be 18, right?)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #557 on: April 08, 2013, 09:51:32 AM »

Odenwald:

Were you planning to vote CDU for the first vote, and then Grün for the second vote?

I'm sadly 4 months too young to vote in this election, but as a UK resident I guess I would have to cast a vote at the German embassy rather than voting in my home wahlkreis of Hamburg-Nord.

Are you a German citizen ? Besides the fact that you would be too young in this election, you cannot vote anyway if you are not a German citizen, but a UK one.

If you are a German citizen living in the UK and old enough to vote, you can usually request an absentee ballot that is sent to you to the UK and then you can send it back or return it to the German embassy in the UK where it is usually counted too.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #558 on: April 08, 2013, 09:58:20 AM »

Odenwald:

Are you a German citizen ? Besides the fact that you would be too young in this election, you cannot vote anyway if you are not a German citizen, but a UK one.

If you are a German citizen living in the UK and old enough to vote, you can usually request an absentee ballot that is sent to you to the UK and then you can send it back or return it to the German embassy in the UK where it is usually counted too.

Did you really think I was that stupid? Of course I'm a German citizen. I'm just unfamiliar with absentee ballot processes for German elections.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #559 on: April 08, 2013, 10:54:38 AM »

Odenwald:

Did you really think I was that stupid? Of course I'm a German citizen. I'm just unfamiliar with absentee ballot processes for German elections.

Nope. Actually, after reading it again I made a small mistake: I thought you were a UK citizen living in Hamburg and trying to vote there, because you could have thought that it's possible because you are an EU-citizen. I mixed up UK resident with Uk citizen ... Tongue
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #560 on: April 08, 2013, 01:05:18 PM »

FDP back at 5%... Depressing, but not surprising.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #561 on: April 08, 2013, 01:16:44 PM »

Still looking Grand. Merkel should not "loan" votes, considering how that turned out last time.
ERvND
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #562 on: April 08, 2013, 01:19:38 PM »

Protip for all undecideds: Your decision won't matter anyway. Merkel and black-yellow will win handily. Only 2017 matters.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #563 on: April 08, 2013, 02:32:36 PM »

Protip for all undecideds: Your decision won't matter anyway. Merkel and black-yellow will win handily. Only 2017 matters.

And then our decision won't matter because Hannelore Kraft will be elected in a landslide.

Our decisions never "matter" unless the balance of power is decided by 1 vote.

Yet we still vote, and we still try to base that vote on an educated decision, regardless of how the election is likely to turn out.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #564 on: April 08, 2013, 03:18:01 PM »

Are you really so sure? I agree that it's pretty safe to assume that Merkel will remain Chancellor but a grand coalition seems much more likely at this point.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #565 on: April 09, 2013, 03:27:06 AM »

I agree on the nuclear issue, but that issue no longer being relevant in German politics makes it easier to stomach.

Who would you vote for? (You'll be 18, right?)

I'm giving my first vote to the SPD and am undecided on the second one (leaning Pirate)
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #566 on: April 09, 2013, 03:31:23 AM »

If I was 18 four months earlier I would give CDU my first vote and I'm undecided on the second vote.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #567 on: April 09, 2013, 04:12:42 AM »

It's a shame Steinbrück is their candidate. I'd have no reservations voting SPD if Kraft were in charge...
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #568 on: April 09, 2013, 04:15:35 AM »

It's a shame Steinbrück is their candidate. I'd have no reservations voting SPD if Kraft were in charge...

Well, I think it's better this way.

Let's hope that NRW continues to have no scandals and Kraft remains popular and then she can take over the SPD in the next elections.

Mostly because I don't think that even Kraft could narrow the gap to 0 now as SPD-Chancellor candidate. And Merkel would be more worn out by 2017.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #569 on: April 09, 2013, 04:32:34 AM »

If the SPD still exists after another grand coalition... Wink
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #570 on: April 09, 2013, 04:34:43 AM »

Or CDU-FDP pulls it out again ... (unlikely, but who knows).
RedPrometheus

« Reply #571 on: April 09, 2013, 05:35:14 AM »

Or CDU-FDP pulls it out again ... (unlikely, but who knows).

I think it's possible, especially if the lack of enthusiasm with socialdemoratic voters continues.

Anyway I'll be voting with both votes SPD - as a "loyal" party member I should even if I don't agree with our choice of candidate for chancellor. At least our local candidates are good.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #572 on: April 09, 2013, 05:52:33 AM »

If the SPD remains as unsexy and devoid of real chance to take over the chancellorship as at current (highly likely) and interest in the elections picks up anyways to the point where turnout at least doesn't take another freefall on top of the last one (fairly likely, but far from certain) both Left and Pirates will end up several percentage points above their current polling.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #573 on: April 09, 2013, 06:03:04 AM »

I'm interested to see what will happen in Hamburg; will the SPD manage to rebound in Hamburg-Eimsbuettel and Hamburg-Wandsbek after that disaster (especially in Eimsbuettel) in 2009? The SPD is polling very well at the moment in Hamburg state polls, but I wonder if that will translate into an SPD recovery at the Federal election. I think the CDU should be able to hold onto Hamburg-Nord.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #574 on: April 09, 2013, 09:53:03 AM »

If the SPD remains as unsexy and devoid of real chance to take over the chancellorship as at current (highly likely) and interest in the elections picks up anyways to the point where turnout at least doesn't take another freefall on top of the last one (fairly likely, but far from certain) both Left and Pirates will end up several percentage points above their current polling.
Imagine the Left would be pretty pleased with 10%> after some pretty underwhelming polling of late.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies