Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 17, 2014, 08:36:04 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2008 Elections
| | |-+  Franken to run for Senate 2006
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Franken to run for Senate 2006  (Read 2382 times)
ian
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2005, 02:49:15 pm »
Ignore

Because Dayton has announced that he will not run for a second term, Franken has thrown his hat into the ring.  This is from http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S6198.html?cat=64
Can he win?

Franken expected to make announcement on candidacy 
Updated: 02/10/2005 10:43:30 AM
VIDEO |  Print Story |  Email to a Friend

WASHINGTON - Just one day after U.S. Sen. Mark Dayton decided not to run for a second term, comedian Al Franken may be throwing his hat into the ring.

Last year, Franken said he wanted to run for the Senate in 2008. But last night he told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS that he is now considering his candidacy for next year.

Franken, a Minnesota native, plans to make an announcement live on his national radio show in Washington D.C. 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS will be in the studio with Franken for that announcement.

The announcement is expected to come near the end of the broadcast, which will be around 1:45 p.m.

Meanwhile, former U.S. Sen Rod Grams, who lost his seat to Dayton in 2000, told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS that he is running for the open seat. He said Social Security, the deficit, the budget, Medicare and Medicaid are what prompted him to enter the race.

Other Republicans who may consider a run include U.S. Reps. Mark Kennedy and Gil Gutknecht, and Minn. Secretary of State Mary Kiffmeyer.

On the DFL side, activist Buck Humphrey said he's not ruling out a bid for the U.S. Senate.

The grandson of the late Vice President Hubert Humphrey and the son of former state Attorney General Skip Humphrey first said he wasn't interested in joining a growing list of candidates seeking the party nomination. But Buck Humphrey said later that he wouldn't rule out running for the open Senate seat.

Other potential DFL candidates include Minneapolis lawyer Mike Ciresi, Senate Majority Leader Dean Johnson of Willmar, state Senator Steve Kelley of Hopkins, former Congressman Bill Luther, Hennepin County Attorney Amy Klobuchar, and former public development official Rebecca Yanisch.

State House Minority Leader Matt Entenza was considered to be a potential Senate candidate by many. However, he said Wednesday that he's not interested. During a visit to Worthington, Entenza said his interests are entirely in Minnesota.

WHY I'M A DEMOCRAT:
"People who wear Christ on their sleeves and vote against helping people are the biggest hypocrites." - Charlie Melancon, in response to the voting down of the Melancon Amendment to raise levee funding.

For my positions on political issues go to:
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=18844.msg405414#msg405414

Registered in Mississippi for fantasy politics.  RL resident of Arkansas.  Kentucky avatar for my fav state!
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 03:15:48 pm »
Ignore

Wrong board (should go in the Congressional forum).

Johnson for Senate! Smiley

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
Notre Dame rules!
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 07:51:29 pm »
Ignore

Classic!   That should be a definite pickup for the GOP.

Econ Left/Right  3.00,  Social Libertarian/Authoritarian  2.97
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 09:04:23 pm »
Ignore

Franken in Arkansas. That's a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Brace yourselves for me.

Economic Left/Right: 7.05
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67
Defarge
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005, 09:10:58 pm »
Ignore

Please oh God, don't let him win the nomination.
A18
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2005, 09:12:19 pm »
Ignore

What's this about Arkansas? Mark Dayton is from Minnesota.
ATFFL
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 09:18:57 pm »
Ignore

Franken is NOT running for senate.

In case you missed the last segment today--Al has announced, officially, that hes not running for Senate in 2006. He committed to at least two more years at Air America, and hes going to honor his commitment.
Notre Dame rules!
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2005, 09:58:28 pm »
Ignore

He's committed alright, or he should be.

Econ Left/Right  3.00,  Social Libertarian/Authoritarian  2.97
Akno21
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2005, 10:30:34 pm »
Ignore

Why is it referred to as the DLC in Minnesota?

Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2005, 10:31:50 pm »
Ignore

It's the DFL - Democratic Farm and Labor Party. They've been doing it for years.

Akno21
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2005, 10:39:09 pm »
Ignore

It's the DFL - Democratic Farm and Labor Party. They've been doing it for years.

Thanks.

nclib
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2005, 10:43:29 pm »
Ignore

And wasn't the MN-GOP referred to as the Independent-Republicans up until a few years ago?

[George W. Bush] has shattered the myth of white supremacy once and for all. -- Congressman Charles Rangel (D-NY)

"George Bush supports abstinence. Lucky Laura."
- sign seen at the March for Women's Lives, 4/25/04

Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2005, 10:45:41 pm »
Ignore

And wasn't the MN-GOP referred to as the Independent-Republicans up until a few years ago?

Yep. They changed their name after Watergate I believe but they switched back.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout