America's obsession with firearms
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:21:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  America's obsession with firearms
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: America's obsession with firearms  (Read 739 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 18, 2012, 04:36:19 PM »

Why are so many Americans so obsessed with the "right" to own deadly weapons? Why is there such an emotional attachment to owning firearms with certain segments of the American population?

I just don't get it.

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 04:41:45 PM »

Many of the values that our engrained into our culture include things like individualism. A desire for gun ownership relates to that, since it enhances your ability to take care of yourself, both in terms of being able to defend yourself (from attackers, either criminal or under a stripe of authority) and being able to feed yourself (by hunting).
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 04:43:00 PM »

People want to be able to overthrow the government.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 05:25:12 PM »

Many of the values that our engrained into our culture include things like individualism. A desire for gun ownership relates to that, since it enhances your ability to take care of yourself, both in terms of being able to defend yourself (from attackers, either criminal or under a stripe of authority) and being able to feed yourself (by hunting).

But we don't live like we did 200 years ago, so we don't need to defend ourselves or hunt for food, since we have police and supermarkets. I don't get it either, is it just a rural thing?
FloridaRepublican
justrhyno
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 05:39:09 PM »

But we don't live like we did 200 years ago, so we don't need to defend ourselves or hunt for food, since we have police and supermarkets. I don't get it either, is it just a rural thing?

Yes because every private home has a Policeman in it to protect you.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 05:40:11 PM »

It's a mix - there is a HUGE divide between the rural and the suburban/urban. This is the thing people on the side that don't want any restrictions don't seem to get. Guns in areas where you might hunt or might not have a police force nearby is reasonable. I know people of a certain persuasion are instantly suspicious of any kind of change, but the discussion is not "no change!!" vs "get rid of all guns!!" - of course the paranoia about the 'slippery slope' comes into it here too.

You have a right to bear arms, that isn't in any kind of realistic question, it's the question of what restrictions could be placed to ensure that right isn't being abused by people who are unstable or wish to do harm to society.

It's not like hunters or home-defenders need a fricking M4 equivalent, this is as much about having a lethal toy for many.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 05:43:40 PM »

Yes because every private home has a Policeman in it to protect you.

There's not a supermarket in every private home either.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 05:59:48 PM »

It's a mix - there is a HUGE divide between the rural and the suburban/urban. This is the thing people on the side that don't want any restrictions don't seem to get. Guns in areas where you might hunt or might not have a police force nearby is reasonable. I know people of a certain persuasion are instantly suspicious of any kind of change, but the discussion is not "no change!!" vs "get rid of all guns!!" - of course the paranoia about the 'slippery slope' comes into it here too.

You have a right to bear arms, that isn't in any kind of realistic question, it's the question of what restrictions could be placed to ensure that right isn't being abused by people who are unstable or wish to do harm to society.

It's not like hunters or home-defenders need a fricking M4 equivalent, this is as much about having a lethal toy for many.

I dunno, I'd venture to guess more gun nuts live in affluent, low-crime suburbs than one would  think. Tongue
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 06:27:27 PM »

The police have no legal duty to protect you. How do you plan to defend your family, exactly?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 07:28:16 PM »

When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 08:50:07 PM »

I feel safer already.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 09:45:29 PM »

When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

And not above shooting everyone either. Shocked
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies