How can the GOP stop the "lost cause" trends in states?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:00:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  How can the GOP stop the "lost cause" trends in states?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How can the GOP stop the "lost cause" trends in states?  (Read 890 times)
sg0508
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 21, 2012, 06:47:33 PM »

CO, NV, PA, NH and slowly VA and FL are becoming lost causes in presidential races for the Republicans as the demographic problem for the party becomes more and more obvious and as population changes continue to grow against them.  What can they do? I personally don't think Rubio from FL would help much unless policy would dictate that minorities are to be included in the GOP's platform.

Without OH, the GOP doesn't win.  Without FL going forward (and Romney should have won it this past year), it's near impossible for the GOP to win.

Keep watching trends in GA as well as the state keeps moderating and as NC too.
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 07:23:45 PM »

To an extent, the GOP may have to just brace themselves and wait. Suddenly turning left on immigration probably isn't going to help that much (not that turning left on immigration isn't the right thing to do). Newly immigrated Hispanic-American voters are eventually going to become integrated in American society (perhaps to the point where we won't call them minorities anymore), as well as economically affluent. Once that happens, the GOP will begin to make inroads. As a parallel, just think about how Eastern European immigrants who supported FDR ended up supporting Nixon and Reagan in the 1960s and 1980s.

To the extent that the GOP can do something about the "lost cause," part of the solution would be to stop running bad candidates. We also need reach out to these groups that are supposedly making these states "a lost cause," showing them how and why conservatism is in their best interests (i realize that's a broad statement though).
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 09:07:12 PM »

The Southern Strategy that worked to turn the South into a preserve for traditionalists (by local standards) as Republicans has picked off the George Wallace Democrats at the expense of losing the Rockefeller Republicans of the North and West. Those two groups never liked each other and like each other less now. The Southern Strategy must have looked good in the Reagan landslides of 1980 and 1984 because of the coalition between Wallace Democrats and Rockefeller Republicans. By 1992 that coalition was shattered.   
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 12:34:39 AM »
« Edited: December 22, 2012, 12:43:53 AM by 5280/East California »

To an extent, the GOP may have to just brace themselves and wait. Suddenly turning left on immigration probably isn't going to help that much (not that turning left on immigration isn't the right thing to do). Newly immigrated Hispanic-American voters are eventually going to become integrated in American society (perhaps to the point where we won't call them minorities anymore), as well as economically affluent. Once that happens, the GOP will begin to make inroads. As a parallel, just think about how Eastern European immigrants who supported FDR ended up supporting Nixon and Reagan in the 1960s and 1980s.

To the extent that the GOP can do something about the "lost cause," part of the solution would be to stop running bad candidates. We also need reach out to these groups that are supposedly making these states "a lost cause," showing them how and why conservatism is in their best interests (i realize that's a broad statement though).
That's if they want to assimilate with the US. When the 2nd generation or 3rd generation of foreigners speak their native language in public, then it becomes a problem. Secondly, nobody wants a one party ran country, the Democrats won't be in control forever even if the GOP is a lost cause for the next 20 years.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 12:49:24 AM »

That's if they want to assimilate with the US. When the 2nd generation or 3rd generation of foreigners speak their native language in public, then it becomes a problem. Secondly, nobody wants a one party ran country, the Democrats won't be in control forever even if the GOP is a lost cause for the next 20 years.

See, you are completely and utterly clueless. You probably don't know any Hispanics, do you? My roommate in college, who is of Mexican descent, couldn't speak spanish well at all. At the same time, I bet his grandparents who were the first to move to this country, probably didn't speak english well when they first got here. Speaking your mother tongue does not mean one does not want to assimilate. The Irish, Italians, Polish etc etc etc who moved here back in the day also didn't speak english with each other. As long as you Republicans remain this utterly clueless, you will never win Hispanics OR Asians. You know, the group that makes the most money in this country. You will lose them by landslide margins because your party is full of clueless or just straight up racist individuals.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 01:25:42 AM »
« Edited: December 22, 2012, 01:32:06 AM by 5280/East California »

See, you are completely and utterly clueless. You probably don't know any Hispanics, do you? My roommate in college, who is of Mexican descent, couldn't speak spanish well at all. At the same time, I bet his grandparents who were the first to move to this country, probably didn't speak english well when they first got here. Speaking your mother tongue does not mean one does not want to assimilate. The Irish, Italians, Polish etc etc etc who moved here back in the day also didn't speak english with each other. As long as you Republicans remain this utterly clueless, you will never win Hispanics OR Asians. You know, the group that makes the most money in this country. You will lose them by landslide margins because your party is full of clueless or just straight up racist individuals.
I'm actually half-asian myself, and my mom is pure.  She doesn't go off rambling in her native tongue in public and tries to speak English when talking with friends in the same culture. She wasn't even born in the US, but is doing fine now adapting here.  No way am I clueless bud, you're being a jerk.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 01:32:09 AM »

PA is hardly a lost cause for the GOP.

It was trending GOP in recent years and is now only 1.7 points more Dem. than the nation.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 02:10:56 AM »

I'm actually half-asian myself, and my mom is pure.  She doesn't go off rambling in her native tongue in public and tries to speak English when talking with friends in the same culture. She wasn't even born in the US, but is doing fine now adapting here.  No way am I clueless bud, you're being a jerk.

I am a full Asian over here...so yeah. What is the fascination with someone else speaking their mother tongue in public? Are you that interested in everyone's conversations? Now, it would be rude if you are talking with someone along with a family member and you speak in your own language with your family member while that person is right there. But if you are just interested in overhearing people's conversations at the grocery store, tough luck.

I personally talk with my parents in our language, with my sister in this weird hybrid language that just comes naturally where I mix and match words from both English and our language depending on what flows off the tongue first. With everyone else from my culture, I speak in English. But if I didn't, what's it to you? Why do you care as long as I speak with you in English?

Of course there are people out there who cannot speak English, but that is because they are poor and didn't learn the language in their country and don't have the resources to learn it now. Would you favor government programs to help them learn?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 02:50:57 AM »

This thread made me laugh a little becuase my grandmother's native language was Yiddish and when she and her friends wanted to say something but didn't want the kids to know what they were talking about they always said it in Yiddish. But that was the ONLY time they used Yiddish. Their English was far better. But it was sort of a game to them. And the Chinese people at the Chinese restaurants frequently speak to each other in Chinese. I don't see what the fuss is all about. I think languages are awesome! And other than the slight differences between Standard and Black Englishes, there's not much variety out where I live. Mexicans and Asians are still a bit of a novelty.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 06:31:17 AM »

I don't think there's any doubt that as Latinos are further and further removed from their "ancestral" culture they will become more American...that is to say more English-speaking, more protestant and probably more conservative. Pew has some interesting numbers on this:

http://www.pewhispanic.org/files/2012/04/PHC-Hispanic-Identity.pdf

Among 3rd generation Hispanics, 30% are protestants and just 40% are Catholics (p. 36). And the GOP does far better among protestant Hispanics, particularly evangelicals with Romney losing to Obama by just 10 points (a loss, but at least not as devastating as the overall numbers).
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 11:15:59 AM »

Most of those "lost cause" states went 51% Obama.  In 2016 at least, those states are not a lost cause for Republicans at the Presidential level.  Past that, these predictions are uncertain. 

That said, Republicans need to realize this is a game of coming up with a coalition.  For a long time the Republican Presidential coalition was created by adding social conservatives/  evangelicals/country folk to the loyal Republican base (idealogical conservatives, rich people).  Now, Republicans have maxed out on rural votes/ evangelical votes and it doesn't get them across the finish line. 

Now, they need to add people to the coalition.  Did Mitt Romney do anything to appeal to anyone outside the base?  They should try that.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies