Gérard Depardieu leaves France to avoid Hollande's taxes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:40:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Gérard Depardieu leaves France to avoid Hollande's taxes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Gérard Depardieu leaves France to avoid Hollande's taxes  (Read 7722 times)
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 21, 2012, 07:41:52 PM »
« edited: December 21, 2012, 07:44:26 PM by Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey »

http://www.cato.org/blog/gerard-depardieu-goes-john-galt

Sorry if there was already a thread on this, and sorry for the possibly biased link (within the link there are "balanced" links) Tongue
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 07:50:51 PM »

Don't understand how anyone can be this selfish.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 07:58:12 PM »

Don't understand how anyone can be this selfish.

Ah, he's an actor.  This is pretty common in the US.  You'd be amazed at the number of actors who claimed that they'd leave the US if Bush won the 2000 election.  Not that we'd be any worse without them.  Of course, none of them carried through on that threat.

I don't know much about this guy except a few movies that I've seen with him in them, typically opposite an aging but still somewhat attractive Catherine Deneuve.  He strikes me as the french version of Karl Malden.  A nose like that is hard to come by.  France's loss will be Bollywood's gain, I suppose.  Or somebody's.  Wherever he moved to.

Oh, shit.  I just checked the link.  Belgium?  Seriously?  France, Belgium, what's the difference?  Nevermind.  His nose can still snort the french chuckle.  No loss to francophone audiences.  And I'm sure Madamme Deneuve won't mind taking short train ride to co-star with him. 

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 11:27:57 PM »

Belgium?  Seriously?  France, Belgium, what's the difference?  Nevermind.  His nose can still snort the french chuckle.  No loss to francophone audiences.  And I'm sure Madamme Deneuve won't mind taking short train ride to co-star with him. 

The difference is a bilgeload of taxes.  Even before the French tax hike, taxes would have been lower for Depardieu if he moved right across the border.  (He'd been living near the border even before this spat.)  It's no surprise that in a unitary European economy, that those who can live anywhere they wish and work would chose to flee the rapacious French taxes.

However, as the WSJ pointed out earlier this month, this is great news for people who want a little pied-a-terre in France for a second home.  If France isn't your primary residence, you aren't subject to these very high income taxes, but those who are leaving don't dare chance the French state insisting that their former primary residence is still their primary residence, so they are selling altogether when they leave (especially if they still have some business interests in France), making it a buyer's market in upscale French property.

So if a 10 million euro estate was out of your reach, but you can afford the 5 million being asked for it now, you're in luck!
freefair
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 07:08:01 AM »
« Edited: December 22, 2012, 01:36:32 PM by freefair »

Good for Him . France has been raping his bank account for too long now. He has payed his debt to French society many times over (for the whole "you didn't build that" crowd) and forced him to maintain public services he will never use.
He is not a cash cow.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 07:43:57 AM »

Well people that favor the EU and freedom of movement certainly shouldn't be upset or shocked by this.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 08:13:57 AM »

Well people that favor the EU and freedom of movement certainly shouldn't be upset or shocked by this.

You are seriously blaming the EU for fiscal exile? Never knew the lack of Schengen agreements has ever prevented a rich asshole from leaving to a tax heaven.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 08:22:17 AM »

You are seriously blaming the EU for fiscal exile? Never knew the lack of Schengen agreements has ever prevented a rich asshole from leaving to a tax heaven.

No. I'm not blaiming it, just saying it would be rather hypocritical to support open borders and open markets and then be shocked and upset about this.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 09:38:31 AM »

No. I'm not blaiming it, just saying it would be rather hypocritical to support open borders and open markets and then be shocked and upset about this.

Since when supporting the freedom to do something means that you have to approve every use of this freedom?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 09:43:20 AM »

Belgium?  Seriously?  France, Belgium, what's the difference?  Nevermind.  His nose can still snort the french chuckle.  No loss to francophone audiences.  And I'm sure Madamme Deneuve won't mind taking short train ride to co-star with him. 

The difference is a bilgeload of taxes. 

The difference to him I understand.  All can understand the economic motivation and his move seems reasonable on that level.

I mean the difference to us.  If this merits a thread, then it must have some underlying practical motivation.  Now, the only relation between the posters herein and Monsieur Depardieu that I can imagine is that of movie watchers and movie actor.  N'est-ce pas?  So, ask yourself, need there be any significant change in that relationship if the actor makes a move to the east, especially when this move is only a couple of hundred miles and does not even cross any linguistic barriers.    
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 11:34:24 AM »

Although you have to admit that virtually any country outside of France is a tax haven in the eyes of the French these days. Wink

I'd say Depardieu has enough money to move anywhere...so why choose Belgium of all places? Just enjoy life, live where you wanna live even if that means having to pay higher taxes.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 12:39:42 PM »

I'd say Depardieu has enough money to move anywhere...so why choose Belgium of all places?

Language?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 12:46:28 PM »

I'd say Depardieu has enough money to move anywhere...so why choose Belgium of all places?

Language?

He's also staying right near the French border as well, so it's not like he's gonna be spending much time actually living in Belgium anyway.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 12:47:45 PM »

I seem to remember a time, not so long ago at all, when this bloated piss artist claimed to be a Communist.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 12:53:45 PM »

Although you have to admit that virtually any country outside of France is a tax haven in the eyes of the French these days. Wink

That's true... And the saddest thing is that France isn't even close to taxing the uber-rich nearly as much as they should be.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2012, 01:21:11 PM »

Capital flight from France has a long and storied tradition; if I'm not mistaken, it was what ended the Cartels des gauches elected in 1924 and 1932.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2012, 01:37:52 PM »

I seem to remember a time, not so long ago at all, when this bloated piss artist claimed to be a Communist.

That sounds almost too stereotypical and amusing to be true. Wink
hantheguitarman

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2012, 01:54:40 PM »

That's true... And the saddest thing is that France isn't even close to taxing the uber-rich nearly as much as they should be.

Well if this is the reaction to a 75% marginal tax rate, I shudder to think what the reaction would be if France taxed "the uber-rich nearly as much as they should be." Shocked
freefair
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2012, 02:03:20 PM »
« Edited: December 22, 2012, 02:20:33 PM by freefair »

So what you'd like then, is the vindictive, cruel, counter-productive 95% rate imposed on the rich in the UK of the 60's which compelled The Beatles to write Taxman??
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2012, 02:13:50 PM »

'compelled' is an odd choice of word.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2012, 02:23:58 PM »

Well if this is the reaction to a 75% marginal tax rate, I shudder to think what the reaction would be if France taxed "the uber-rich nearly as much as they should be." Shocked

No, I'm fine with the current French marginal tax rate (of course, it could and ideally should be higher than that... but 75% or 95% doesn't make much of a difference to me). However, it's worth noting that the French system to collect taxes is pathetically inefficient and easy to cheat. The current income tax, which is collected using this archaic system, generates as much revenue as a 8% flat tax (the CSG) which is collected in more modern and rational ways. And even when you don't cheat, it's ridiculously easy to avoid paying your fair share using exemptions, deductions and loopholes of all kinds. Tax rates might be important, but they only tell a very small part of the story.
freefair
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2012, 02:37:31 PM »

Sounds like the PS don't want to tackle the real issue, which is the tax code, they're just punishing those they're lucky enough to have be honest with them.
hantheguitarman

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2012, 02:39:19 PM »

No, I'm fine with the current French marginal tax rate (of course, it could and ideally should be higher than that... but 75% or 95% doesn't make much of a difference to me). However, it's worth noting that the French system to collect taxes is pathetically inefficient and easy to cheat. The current income tax, which is collected using this archaic system, generates as much revenue as a 8% flat tax (the CSG) which is collected in more modern and rational ways. And even when you don't cheat, it's ridiculously easy to avoid paying your fair share using exemptions, deductions and loopholes of all kinds. Tax rates might be important, but they only tell a very small part of the story.

Would you be okay with Romney style tax reform then (lower rates, less loopholes and deductions)? Something tells me you can't have less loopholes/deductions without lower rates.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2012, 04:06:12 PM »

Sounds like the PS don't want to tackle the real issue, which is the tax code, they're just punishing those they're lucky enough to have be honest with them.

Kinda. It's much easier to take symbolic actions that appease the hard-left, rather than working on a serious overhaul of our broken tax system. But considering we're talking about people who make over one million a year, I wouldn't use the word "punishing".

@Han: Of course I agree with closing/capping loopholes and deductions, it's a great idea that should be a major piece of any serious tax reform. However, a 35% top rate is already insanely low (it's one of the lowest among developed countries) and bringing it down further at the moment when we're talking about budget austerity, as Romney pledged, is absurd. There's also the fact that Romney's plan has been proven to be unworkable by several independent studies (at least, unworkable without taking a certain number of highly unpopular and economically detrimental measures).
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2012, 04:08:49 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2012, 01:46:49 PM by Lief »

He should be permanently banned from entering the country until he pays all taxes he's avoided by leaving it. That's the sensible solution to this sort of problem.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies