MA: Amendment to the Labor Relations Act (Statute) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:19:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: Amendment to the Labor Relations Act (Statute) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MA: Amendment to the Labor Relations Act (Statute)  (Read 2989 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« on: December 27, 2012, 07:43:07 PM »

So...can we get a vote on this?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 10:04:14 AM »
« Edited: December 28, 2012, 10:16:29 AM by Mideast Assemblyman Mr. X »

Also, Mr. X, could you please outline what this changes from the original bill?

To answer Governor Tmthforu94's question, it removes the right to low wages ("right to work") language.  I am also fine with the changes suggested by Assemblyman Gass3268 (the removal of section 3 and changing the percentage in section 2, article 1 to 67%
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 02:41:28 PM »

Because it has been consistently shown to lead to lower wages everywhere it is passed.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 03:41:48 PM »

Because it has been consistently shown to lead to lower wages everywhere it is passed.

But it offers people the choice not to join a union.  If they so choose to do so, why should they not be allowed to do so?

Because it creates a free-loader problem, they get the benefits of being in a union without paying membership dues.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 04:50:37 PM »

But it offers people the choice not to join a union.  If they so choose to do so, why should they not be allowed to do so?

Because it creates a free-loader problem, they get the benefits of being in a union without paying membership dues.

How so?

"4. It is hereby illegal in the Mideast Region for any non-union employee to take advantage of any benefit or perk that was gained or provided to employees by a union.This includes wages, health care, vacation, pensions and any other benefit provided by the union. The non-union employees will have to deal directly with their employer in order to set their own wages and benefits."

The tiebreaker on the commission is an "independent mediator."  I don't know if you are familiar with binding arbitration's effects on lawsuits, but what often happens is that legitimate lawsuits are usually thrown out and the arbitrators (despite their theoretical independence) generally do whatever the company wants them to.  The reason is that they make their money from repeat customers, so companies don't hire people if they rule against a company (arbitrators who do so are essentially blacklisted).  As a result, the arbitrators have a major financial incentive to side with the company regardless of the facts of the case.  I worry that the same thing would happen with an "independent mediator."  Companies will simply "encourage" them to find that no employees violated section 4, regardless of the whether or not they did so.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 10:37:04 AM »

Then let's work on fixing that problem, not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Getting rid of the right to lower wages language is the best way to fix the problem, imo.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 08:32:16 AM »

It is in the same section (different clause, obviously) as the clause you posted in response to my claim that right-to-low-wages language created a free-loader problem (though obviously it is a different clause).
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 03:35:54 PM »

Would there be support for the establishment of a Labor Relations Board?

I would much prefer to simply remove the right to work language altogether.  That seems like both simplest and the best solution.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 11:29:24 AM »

I motion for a vote, it is clear how everyone intends to vote and I don't see that changing with further debate at this point.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 03:25:24 PM »

Aye
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies