Northeast Assembly Thread II (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:59:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread II (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread II  (Read 44115 times)
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« on: December 28, 2012, 08:37:33 PM »

Northeast Speaker

[X] Alfred F. Jones
[  ] Write-in:
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 02:36:57 PM »

Jerseyrules for Secretary of Commerce

[X] Aye
[ ] Nay
[ ] Abstain
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 10:04:24 PM »

I thank you all for your time and wish you the greatest of luck in the session to come.

Good luck in your new job, Senator.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 07:46:28 PM »

I would prefer a format in which there are topics and candidates can explain their positions rather than a question being asked directly to the possibility of directing the question to one candidate, especially if questions come from non-citizens of the region. For senatorial candidates non-citizens can bring up useful issues since the Senate deals with national issues, but for candidate to regional roles, we should prioritize at least questions coming from our citizens.   
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 10:16:40 PM »

Abstain on the debate format
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 04:43:23 PM »

I don't know if there is a written rule on who takes over Speaker duties when he is on leave but I am fine with the Lt. Governor taking the role of Speaker.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 09:25:09 PM »

There is a rule against Lt. Governor being Speaker? I didn't know that. Our Lt. Governor is a representative who got the most first preference votes, he is not elected to that specific office and not a representative.

Do we take a break, or do we proceed to name another speaker if there is no line of succession for this. If we have to take a formal vote of 24 hours, it will take some time.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 12:08:20 AM »

I don't care who replaces the speaker in case of short absence. It could be Lt. Governor or have a line of succession on seniority, but with seniority we would need to keep track of it.

If we did a quick vote for interim speaker, with 4 representatives left we need three votes for majority.

It is strange that the assembly is paralyzed and someone just can't step in, even just informally to keep things going like put a bill to a vote.

To clarify who takes over Speaker role, do we need to amend the constitution or we can put it in the SOAP. As it happens bore wants to discuss SOAP.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 03:18:03 PM »

I had noticed two things that we didn't do so I agree with the proposed changes. In number 1 about opening a new legislation thread each session. At the end of the soap, the protest and analysis thread. I don't think it was ever used. We either creat that thread or remove this from soap. I don't know if there was such a thread if there would be more citizen participation and comments. Maybe we should invite citizens to come in the Assembly thread.

I still have to read changes to point 2 and 3 more carefully.

Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 07:29:32 PM »

Wheter we keep the protest and analysis thread in the soap or not, we could make it a friendlier place by changing its name to NE coffee shop or corner store, to represent where citizens meet and discuss current events.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 11:42:21 PM »

The protest thread is not directly how the assembly works, it is accessory like the Miscellaneous category seems to indicate.

The crossing of the word nay in 2 c) and 3 k), is it only stylistic but doesn't change the vote requirement, that is what it seems to me.

The 168 hours in 3 g), I imagine that is what we voted on a couple months ago.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 10:53:02 PM »

Ah yes, it must have been memories from budget extension hours.

Increasing debate time to 168 hours brings flexibility. I can support that. It happens rarely but if there was a bill with many proposed amendments and debates and votes that come with them, we could need time.

About the vote requirement change in 2c) and 3k), I think I get it now. It was a majority of the number of representatives and the change would make it become the majority of those voting.

The positive I see is in case of absences it's easier to move along, it doesn't create an obstacle in those votes. The negative is it's easier for a small number to do as they wish, for example the vote could pass with a count of 2-0. I have to think of the context. A motion to move legislation to top of queue doesn't seem that hurtful. Someone not looking within the 24 hours might miss it since we can't know in advance there will be a motion like this proposed.           
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 10:35:59 PM »

I think the Responsible sports act was put to a vote too quickly. I think according to 3g) in the soap, debate time has to be a minimum of 36 hours.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 03:59:31 PM »

Kalwejt swore in so I consider myself on stand by for when he needs to leave for the Senate. 
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 12:41:26 PM »

There was a separate thread started for the election of speaker for the upcoming session.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=175513.0
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 06:34:42 PM »

Right folks, I'm just about to leave you, for the time being, before I do though, I've got a few things to say:

Firstly, thank you to sirnick, a person, goldwater and earl for making this session of the assembly more active than the last. A special thanks to sirnick, who is being a fantastically active governor, and goldwater, who I think was first elected at the same time as me, and has always been an active and valued contributor the assembly. Also thanks to people like Nix, Scott, Poirot, Cincy, simfan etc, who have been role models to me in atlasia.

Secondly to move a piece of legislation to the front a vote must be held in this thread, so I'll open that before I go.

Thirdly the gun bill has passed the budget is just about to and seeing as there has been no debate on the canada bill I'll open that up for a vote in a second- this should mean that not to much time is wasted and there will be a clean slate for the next speaker to work on.

Thanks, Bore

It was pleasant working with you in the assembly when I was there. Good luck in your new job.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 06:41:23 PM »

The amendment on the Northeast cabinet sent to the voters also changes the lieutenant governor's selection. Instead of being the representatives getting the most votes, the lieutenant governor is selected by the Governor from the representatives.

If the amendment is adopted at election time, will it take effect for the selection of the next lieutenant governor (this election) or the designation of the Lt. governor in two months.   
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 04:47:33 PM »

On the ReFORM bill, I haven't looked at the acts involved but I wanted to say I don't like seeing 1q (official language ballot act) in there. I was the original sponsor of the bill that morphed into Official language ballot act. I still think it's needed for easy to count and transparency of voting. 

Revised-Format Omnibus Repealy Mishmash (ReFORM) Act
1. Following laws are hereby struck out and rendered null and void:
  (a) Bestiality Criminialization Act
  (b) Health Insurance Option Restoration Act
  (c) Northeastern Revitalization Proposal
  (d) Northeast Free Highway Access Act of 2009 Implementation Bill
  (e) Northeast illegal immigrant act
  (f) Northeast Independence Act of 2012
  (g) Northeast Medical Savings Account Act
  (h) Northeast Natural Gas Leasing Act
  (i) Northeast Pay-to-Play Ban
  (j) Northeast Region Traffic Camera Limitation Act
  (k) Northeast Region Voter Act
  (l) Northeast School Rescue Act
  (m) Northeast Small Business Incentive Act
  (n) Northeast Tort Reform Bill
  (o) Take My License, All That Jive Act
  (p) The Crime is What Actually Matters Act
  (q) The Official Ballot Language Act
  (r) The Public Safety Bill of 2011
2. The Assembly shall meet once a year to review existing statute, after which they shall repeal any part which they deem obsolete, unnecessary, or otherwise bad.

Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2013, 09:43:09 PM »

I declare my candidacy for speaker of the assembly.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 05:50:40 PM »

I found the text of the Northeast cabinet amendment that was adopted and voted in referendum:
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=178179.0

I see where it says the lieutenant governor is chosen by the governor. I don't see where it says the lieutenant governor can't be speaker. 
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2013, 10:49:37 PM »

I have found two bills that contained:
The Lieutenant Governor shall not serve at any other position within the Northeast Government

one by kalwejt and one sirnick but one was tabled and the other did not pass.

I have found the Improving the chain of command bill which deals with what happens in case of inactivity for offices.
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=172000.msg3702749#msg3702749

It states what happens if the Lt Governor and speaker is the same person and becomes inactive. That was the solution to avoid the assembly being paralysed.

I haven't found something that explicitly forbids a person holding the two positions yet. If someone knows the act or amendment, please let us know so we are aware of it.

If Talleyrand is not a candidate anymore tomorrow I think we should skip the formal vote and I will post a bill to debate. I think the next one is sponsored by Talleyrand so be ready to advocate for it.     
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2013, 05:21:28 PM »

I've put a new bill of for debate. I think the next one was Animal protection Act. If there were older bills on the waiting list, please point it out.

I think Sirnick was appointed but he still needs to swear in if he wants to vote in the assembly.

I have two unresolved issues and if we know the answers it would halp in the future.

Does the warden need to sign the soap amendment or the assembly vote is enough?
What is the law that would prevent the lieutenant governor from being speaker.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 09:13:02 PM »

I thought I read it, that there was one still one seat vacant. Perhaps I dreamt it... it is fantasy boards after all!
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2013, 10:18:34 PM »

I have a question on thread topic title for bills. As speaker, do I need to change title line when we are at a vote, I mean write (final vote) in the thread title?

And when the assembly has voted on a bill, do I need to put (ratified) (passed) or (failed) (rejected) at the end of the title line.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2013, 09:36:08 AM »

It's time to open a final vote on a bill but since the election results have been certified I am not sure if I can do it, if my role ends with the election results or until the swearing in of Cincinnatus.

Anywa you will need to choose a new speaker.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies