Westboro Baptist Church - Petition
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:15:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Westboro Baptist Church - Petition
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Westboro Baptist Church - Petition  (Read 1288 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2012, 09:08:44 PM »

It's not a constitutional right to have a tax exemption, but rather that tax exemptions themselves do not violate the Constitution. The government has full power to end any tax exemptions it has previously granted. I don't see any constitutional issue here so long as the government goes through appropriate channels.

Walz specifically ruled that the tax exemption created a far more minimal and remote involvement between church and state than would be created by taxing the churches because it restricted the financial relationship between the two and reinforced their separation.

While the opinion expressed the thought that taxing would be a greater involvement than not taxing, it did not state that taxing religious property (provided that property held for non-profit purposes in general was being taxed) would be a breech of freedom of religion. Indeed, the idea that taxing would be more of an involvement than not-taxing is an obiter dictum since once the court determined that including religion within the broad scope of non-profit activities New York granted tax exemptions was appropriate and that New York could choose to offer non-profits tax exemptions, that was sufficient to decide the issue.  I find Brennan's concurrence and Harlan's separate opinion to both be better than the Berger's opinion of the court.  (Not surprising, since whenever I read opinions of that era, I more often than not find myself in agreement with Harlan.)  Douglas, as is usual, is a little wacky in his dissent.
Link
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2012, 09:36:02 PM »

Y'all realize the government doesn't publish lists of hate groups, right?

Even if it did, I'm not sure I want the government to have the responsibility of determining what "hate" is.

Signing the petition is just exercising your first amendment right.  It will not result in the government labeling anyone.  So relax and sign.

And I certainly don't want them to have the power to do something to them. (Except when they violate the same laws that applies to everyone else.)

Signing won't give the government power to do anything.  So go ahead and sign.

Labeling them as a hate group? I think everyone knows they are a hateful group, so whats the point?

So what's the point of not signing?  Just sign and have your voice be heard.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2012, 09:39:24 PM »

Even if it did, I'm not sure I want the government to have the responsibility of determining what "hate" is.

Signing the petition is just exercising your first amendment right.  It will not result in the government labeling anyone.  So relax and sign.

And I certainly don't want them to have the power to do something to them. (Except when they violate the same laws that applies to everyone else.)

Labeling them as a hate group? I think everyone knows they are a hateful group, so whats the point?

Signing is saying you want the government to do that. That is the point of a petition.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2012, 09:43:03 PM »

So then what does the petition propose to accomplish, if not its stated intent?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2012, 09:49:47 PM »

Signing is saying you want the government to do that. That is the point of a petition.
Wyoming Conservative
Rookie
Bahamas
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2013, 10:44:53 PM »

A petition which I will gladly sign.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2013, 11:14:45 PM »

You end each sentence say "just sign it." Obviously, you are a secret government agent here to integrate into the forum and spy on us. Then, BAM! You nail us as a hate group and send us to one of Obama's concentration camps.

In all seriousness, the government does not, should not, and probably will not ever get the power to define hate. That is up to society as a whole. The WBC does not need official recognition for their actions.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies