Hanabusa being pressured to run against Abercrombie
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:26:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Hanabusa being pressured to run against Abercrombie
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hanabusa being pressured to run against Abercrombie  (Read 1780 times)
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 27, 2012, 05:09:51 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/senate-races/274683-source-rep-hanabusa-receiving-a-lot-of-pressure-to-run-against-abercrombie-for-governor
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 05:26:47 PM »

And rightfully so. She would be an excellent Senator. I look forward to supporting her if she runs statewide next cycle.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 05:32:53 PM »

It's interesting to note that she is being pressured to primary Abercrombie, not Schatz.

Honestly, considering Abercrombie's flagrant disrespect of Inouye's last wishes, I doubt he's even seeking reelection. And considering how important seniority is to Hawaii and how young Schatz is (Brian Schatz for the Senate, 2070!), I think Schatz should be able to get renominated for the special, and past that he won't receive serious challenges unless he does something stupid or in a perfect storm. (If Hanabusa runs for the Governor's mansion, I think the perennially ambitious types, Case/Hannemann, would rather run for her House seat than challenge Schatz.)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 05:37:46 PM »

And rightfully so. She would be an excellent Senator. I look forward to supporting her if she runs statewide next cycle.

SHE WOULD BE AN EXCELLENT SENATOR

SO I'LL SUPPORT HER FOR GOVERNOR
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 05:40:22 PM »

SHE WOULD BE AN EXCELLENT SENATOR

SO I'LL SUPPORT HER FOR GOVERNOR

I'm sure she'd be a great Governor as well, which is why I said I'd support her if she ran "statewide."

'Would you not support Santorum if he ran statewide again? Tongue
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 06:29:47 PM »

This seems a bit childish.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 07:05:25 PM »

Yes. They're acting like she was entitled to this Senate seat and was wrongfully denied. I greatly respected Daniel Inouye and I understand he wanted his protege to succeed him, but the seat wasn't his property he can pass in last will. It's up for the Governor and the party (as per Hawaii law) to decide and they can't he hold hostages by one faction, screaming about last will being violated. Sorry. 
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 07:22:40 PM »

A lot of pressure from who? Her family?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 07:29:40 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 08:40:38 PM »

I was quite disappointed when Hanabusa didn't get the seat, not only because she was Inouye's, a war hero who contributed so much to the state, handpicked successor, but also because she has a pretty solid record and is a good fit for Hawaii.

Hopefully she runs, and I hope she wins. I wish she'd go after Schatz, though.
Benj

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 08:49:13 PM »

Yes. They're acting like she was entitled to this Senate seat and was wrongfully denied. I greatly respected Daniel Inouye and I understand he wanted his protege to succeed him, but the seat wasn't his property he can pass in last will. It's up for the Governor and the party (as per Hawaii law) to decide and they can't he hold hostages by one faction, screaming about last will being violated. Sorry.  

I agree, but you don't understand how hated Abercrombie already is in Hawaii. Everyone wanted him to be primaried anyway (and I doubt he'd have run for reelection regardless). I also don't think Schatz is likely to recover from this, politically (though he was already tarred with being Abercrombie's LG), and will probably not end up sticking around long.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 09:17:24 PM »

I agree that there is more going on here than just sour grapes over the appointment.  Even before this, Gov. Abercrombie's approvals were mired in the low 40s -- a dangerous place for an incumbent.  The Schatz appointment reignited the embers of resentment which already existed and provided Abercrombie's enemies with a convenient vehicle to oust him from office -- Hanabusa.

Abercrombie calculated that when Inouye died his machine died with him.  But that may not be the case.

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 09:38:33 PM »

Abercrombie calculated that when Inouye died his machine died with him.  But that may not be the case.

It's a political machine, not a personality cult. Abercrombie must be a moron.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 10:48:16 PM »

It's a political machine, not a personality cult. Abercrombie must be a moron.

All indications are that he is.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 10:57:21 PM »

I was quite disappointed when Hanabusa didn't get the seat, not only because she was Inouye's, a war hero who contributed so much to the state, handpicked successor, but also because she has a pretty solid record and is a good fit for Hawaii.

That is a terrible reason for her to be appointed.

Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2012, 11:00:15 PM »

I agree, but you don't understand how hated Abercrombie already is in Hawaii. Everyone wanted him to be primaried anyway (and I doubt he'd have run for reelection regardless). I also don't think Schatz is likely to recover from this, politically (though he was already tarred with being Abercrombie's LG), and will probably not end up sticking around long.
If Shatz wins the primary and general elections, he'll recover politically. This will likely be forgotten by 2020.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 12:17:08 AM »

That is a terrible reason for her to be appointed.

Hence why other reasons were listed.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2012, 12:32:27 AM »

When I read about Schatz appointment, I was surprised. I suspected a situation much like that of Robert Byrd and Carte Goodwin, with Hanabusa coming in at a later date, and Schatz stepping down on his own will. I guess it is not the case.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2012, 08:00:27 AM »

'
Indeed, I don't understand. I'm not very familiar with Hawaii state politics. What exactly did Abercrombie do (apart of the recent thing) to be hated?
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2012, 11:51:30 AM »

I'd support Governor Abercrombie.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2012, 12:13:06 PM »

Indeed, I don't understand. I'm not very familiar with Hawaii state politics. What exactly did Abercrombie do (apart of the recent thing) to be hated?

'Seems like he made a bad first impression and hasn't recovered.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2012, 08:49:35 PM »

Abercrombie's 41% job approval is a shaky position from which to be defying the machine.  If his approval ratings improve over the next year, the Hanabusa for Governor talk will disappear.  But if they drop, there is a good chance he will face a primary challenge.
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 11:34:56 PM »

I agree that there is more going on here than just sour grapes over the appointment.  Even before this, Gov. Abercrombie's approvals were mired in the low 40s -- a dangerous place for an incumbent.  The Schatz appointment reignited the embers of resentment which already existed and provided Abercrombie's enemies with a convenient vehicle to oust him from office -- Hanabusa.

While some have correctly said that Inouye didnt "own" the seat I had expected his dyeing wish to be honored due to his popularity in Hawaii. This was a slap in his face...IMO and Hanabusa is an experienced public servant a bonus would have been another diverse face and female in the senate. I'm sure Schatz will be fine as senator but I would have much preferred Senator Inouye wishes carried out and I would support a primary challenge to Abercrombie.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies