So Thatcher had a lot more evil in her than the infamous poll tax...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:23:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  So Thatcher had a lot more evil in her than the infamous poll tax...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: So Thatcher had a lot more evil in her than the infamous poll tax...  (Read 9404 times)
freefair
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2012, 12:47:00 PM »
« edited: December 28, 2012, 12:57:28 PM by freefair »

When I was younger (and a hard right sociocon xenophobe, for context), I sometimes used to wish , in my head, death upon Tony Blair- Once I wished for him to have a terminal Illness, another time to literally burn in hell, and even once for his kids to be tortured and killed.
Then I grew right the hell up, and now I feel awful for ever having had these evil and amoral thoughts in my head. If I met him I'd have the urge to break down at his knees and beg sycopantically for forgiveness, and rightly so.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2012, 12:50:46 PM »

No one is calling for her to be shot; no one (well, except the Provos) wanted that in the 1980s either. It's just that a lot of people will be satisfied at her passing. I suppose that might come across as a little ugly (and if I'm being honest it sort of is) but you have to understand that it is a reaction to something that was also rather ugly.

She defined large sections of British society as enemies - personal enemies - and shaped policies accordingly. If you do that, then you don't get to expect those same people to show even a basic level of respect. The political is personal sometimes...
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2012, 12:52:51 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2012, 12:54:53 PM by Locked and Loaded Gramps »

No one is calling for her to be shot; no one (well, except the Provos) wanted that in the 1980s either. It's just that a lot of people will be satisfied at her passing. I suppose that might come across as a little ugly (and if I'm being honest it sort of is) but you have to understand that it is a reaction to something that was also rather ugly.

She defined large sections of British society as enemies - personal enemies - and shaped policies accordingly. If you do that, then you don't get to expect those same people to show even a basic level of respect. The political is personal sometimes...

Ok fair enough, but those who consider her vile and horrible (and I'm not saying you, personally) are vile and horrible for wishing for her death.  Rant over.

I certainly do understand not shedding a tear or feeling sad at all.....but that's something entirely different.

JMO
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2012, 12:59:36 PM »

I don't really care about her death at this point: she's already done all the harm she could... All I'd wish is for her to stop being so revered by the British political establishment, and instead be seen for what she is. But even this is asking too much...
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2012, 01:48:09 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2012, 01:50:04 PM by Simfan34 »

It's not surprising that there are vast segments of the British population eagerly awaiting this horrible woman's death.

Oh don't be ridiculous.

He's not being even slightly ridiculous; large segments of the British population do indeed eagerly await the death of this horrible woman.

Well, I do not deny that, but I do thank her from saving Britain from the post-imperial basketcase that it had become.

I'm not willing to step into this right now, but people should have a bit more compassion.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2012, 01:53:54 PM »

but people should have a bit more compassion.

Yes, Thatcher's lack of compassion was an awful thing. Led directly to the wrecking of countless lives.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2012, 01:57:46 PM »

Anyways, other things uncovered after their three-decade burial include this and this. As is often the way, nothing ought to be a surprise, as such.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2012, 02:38:06 PM »

I do thank her from saving Britain from the post-imperial basketcase that it had become.

Pure fantasy.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2012, 03:19:14 PM »

It's not surprising that there are vast segments of the British population eagerly awaiting this horrible woman's death.

Oh don't be ridiculous.

Most of Scotland and the North of England proper hates her.

So it's ok to wish for her death?

Did I say that? No, I didn't. I was just explaining that yes, there are parts of the UK that despise Thatcher, since they perceive that she demolished their economies.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2012, 03:28:56 PM »

Oh don't be ridiculous.

Most of Scotland and the North of England proper hates her.

So it's ok to wish for her death?

Did I say that? No, I didn't. I was just explaining that yes, there are parts of the UK that despise Thatcher, since they perceive that she demolished their economies.

No, you didn't.  I was looking for your agreement.  And I have it.  Smiley
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2012, 03:46:21 PM »

Have you thought about what you're going to post on this forum when the day finally comes?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2012, 03:48:34 PM »

You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2012, 03:53:53 PM »

Have you thought about what you're going to post on this forum when the day finally comes?

Personally, I'd end up banned for the sheer glee I'd display.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2012, 05:07:54 PM »

As I see it, I think the hatred for her is a good  thing, it mean that no one will romantise her government, as we oftentend to do o politicians of the past. Her government behaved deeply ugly toward anyone she didn´t need to keep power, shee laid waste to large part of regional parts of the British economy, her government did every abuse they warned that Labour could do if they got power plus more, they privatised government propertytoo cheaply and the people responsable was rewarded financial by the coompanies which bought them  and they paid for all this by wasting the oil money. As such she taught a lot of British people that no common British solidarity existed (one of the main reasons for that Scotland may leave UK in a few years).
You can disagree or agree with these things, but honestly I admire the British people for not forgetting these things, even if sometimes look ugly. Personal I think that a lot of us forget is that most countries with an long democratic tradition never had a leader like her. Only Italy have had as controversial demoocratic leader as her and I woouldn´t blame Italy if some there celebrated Berlusconi´s death.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2012, 05:48:05 PM »

There was fires of joy in some areas of Quebec when Prime Minister of Quebec Maurice Duplessis died in office, I heard.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2012, 06:42:49 PM »

There was fires of joy in some areas of Quebec when Prime Minister of Quebec Maurice Duplessis died in office, I heard.

The fact that his death was effectively the only way to get rid of him kind of justified it...
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2012, 08:03:04 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2012, 08:06:42 PM by ModerateCoward »

So in return all those people that hate Obama and want him to die (Note: I'm not one of them, but I'm sure someone will still think so) are perfectly justified in that respect? My guess is they'd be viewed as horrible people while these people are within their rights.
IMO, any grown person who wishes early death on a politician operating within a free, civilised, democratic system is an inherently cruel and vile person, it doesn't matter if it's Maggie Thatcher or Barry Obama or Olof Palm or anyone.
It's only acceptable to hate politicians in totalitarian regimes, in my view (before anyone says, It's acceptable to hate Segregationist Southern Governors as they were actively abusing/ignoring the constitutional system of government and denying people their right to vote even though they hadn't shirked any of their responsibillities as a citizen by being imprisoned or committing electoral fraud) .
That's how it was for the miners...
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2012, 09:26:28 PM »

All I'd wish is for her to stop being so revered by the British political establishment, and instead be seen for what she is. But even this is asking too much...

Though I agree the right doesn't see her for what she really was, neither do the left. Thatcher, like most people are neither black nor white. As a Prime Minister, she was very complex. Admiring her as a political and ideological God isn't something I'd recommend anyone to do, but painting her out to be the devil in human form is equally silly.

As I see it, I think the hatred for her is a good  thing, it mean that no one will romantise her government

LOL, good one.
If you think there is anything near a consensus on Thatcher among the British you are quite mistaken. While a large portion loath her there certainly is no lack of people romantacising her government, I can assure you that.

As for people longing for her passing, heck let 'em have it. She's a senile old lady, she'll be as relived as them when she's finally allowed to pass. Her political legacy, good and bad, is not dying, so it'll be quite an empty victory for them.   
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2012, 10:44:36 PM »

So in other words, it's similar to how teachers would view krazen if he ever somehow managed to acheive political office?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2012, 11:23:52 PM »

So in other words, it's similar to how teachers would view krazen if he ever somehow managed to acheive political office?
Well Krazen can't fire every teacher like thatcher could do with the miners.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2012, 11:38:25 PM »

All I'd wish is for her to stop being so revered by the British political establishment, and instead be seen for what she is. But even this is asking too much...

Though I agree the right doesn't see her for what she really was, neither do the left. Thatcher, like most people are neither black nor white. As a Prime Minister, she was very complex. Admiring her as a political and ideological God isn't something I'd recommend anyone to do, but painting her out to be the devil in human form is equally silly.

No offense but you are being far too reasonable about this. Read what Al said, it was more or less accurate and then realize that sometimes uber-partizanship is actually the appropriate response.

I'm not going to celebrate when she dies. I'm not British but I certainly won't shed a tear and neither I suspect will much people here (except perhaps the entire Irish libertarian community, but why worry about flies when you could be thinking about elephants).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

LOL, good one.
If you think there is anything near a consensus on Thatcher among the British you are quite mistaken. While a large portion loath her there certainly is no lack of people romantacising her government, I can assure you that.

As for people longing for her passing, heck let 'em have it. She's a senile old lady, she'll be as relived as them when she's finally allowed to pass. Her political legacy, good and bad, is not dying, so it'll be quite an empty victory for them.   
[/quote]

This is, alas, true
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2012, 11:42:37 PM »

Anyway, given the sort of revelations we had last year (Abandon Liverpool!) these all seem rather mild in comparison.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2012, 12:34:59 AM »

No offense but you are being far too reasonable about this. Read what Al said, it was more or less accurate and then realize that sometimes uber-partizanship is actually the appropriate response.

Sorry Gully but if you think I'd ever believe that there is such a thing as being too reasonable, I'm afraid you don't know me too well.

Besides if I were to just look at Thatcher from an über-partisan position my conclusion would not be the same as yours. People tend to forget (since I am quite reasonable) that at my core I am a right-winger with right-wing ideals and values. So while I do recognise that Thatcher was a flawed politician with a heap of bad policies and some horrendous methods to pursue them, if I'm forced to make a choice on wether I admire her or wether I loath her, the choice would clearly be that I admire her. But I prefer not to be as simplific as that.     
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2012, 01:12:33 AM »

This thread is a giant heap of hyperbole. If anyone used the comments made about Thatcher , and used them against any other politician, they would be getting death points. It's rather sad seeing posters who I greatly respect making comments that one would expect from the lowest of the forum, the people like me Tongue.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2012, 01:48:48 AM »

Is this the mirror image of the Chavez thread?  It's ok to be "satisfied" with the death of a politician if you disagree with them....except when it's not.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies