SENATE BILL: The Duke-Marokai Postal Service Act of 2013 (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:42:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: The Duke-Marokai Postal Service Act of 2013 (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The Duke-Marokai Postal Service Act of 2013 (Law'd)  (Read 5296 times)
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2013, 11:57:29 PM »

I offer the following amendments:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 12:06:58 AM »
« Edited: January 07, 2013, 12:12:56 AM by Senator Barnes »

Barnes, I'm on board with everything in your amendment other than retaining Saturday delivery. What is the case for saving it?

I simply think its a very convenient service that has already been cut back in times past (I assume we do have shorter service hours on Saturday?).  My amendment would simply allow the Postal Service a way to create an alternative to the idea of shutting the service down completely.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2013, 12:14:18 AM »

As your amendment authorizes the APS to phase out Saturday delivery based on the results of the CIO's report, I deem it friendly.

Smiley
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2013, 12:57:25 AM »

Quote from: Restricted

Sponsor Feedback: Friendly
Status: The Vice President can call 24 hours on passage of this above amendment.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2013, 02:12:29 AM »

Twenty-four hours to object.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2013, 09:47:00 AM »

I think it's fair.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2013, 01:03:47 PM »

I'm not exactly convinced that the postal service isn't something that couldn't be done more efficiently by the private sector, but if we're to have a public postal service we should at least make sure it's somewhat cost efficient. I'm not particularly sure that ending Saturday post would be such a big deal that it needs an in-depth study, though.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2013, 05:52:00 AM »

Passed.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2013, 12:10:27 AM »

Any other thoughts on this matter? This isn't quite as much of a big Fing deal, but it is important regardless, don't you know. Tongue
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2013, 06:26:12 PM »

If it has, the updated version of it at the beginning of this thread isn't showing it. 
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2013, 06:33:49 AM »

If it has, the updated version of it at the beginning of this thread isn't showing it. 

Thats good, because there is no updated version at the beginning of the thread. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2013, 06:36:38 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2013, 06:37:59 AM »

Just a few last points of inquiry, for Barnes or whoever, how was 70% determined to be an appropriate level?

Also, can we get a response to oakie's question here?

I'm not exactly convinced that the postal service isn't something that couldn't be done more efficiently by the private sector, but if we're to have a public postal service we should at least make sure it's somewhat cost efficient. I'm not particularly sure that ending Saturday post would be such a big deal that it needs an in-depth study, though.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2013, 01:45:17 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2013, 01:49:09 PM by Frodo »

Just a few last points of inquiry, for Barnes or whoever, how was 70% determined to be an appropriate level?

The original bill called for labor and pension costs to remain below 60% of the APS's expenses. This exchange between GM Shua and then-Senator Marokai convinced me that a slightly higher ceiling would be a more feasible goal.

As for Oakvale's question, I think that a public postal service offers some important advantages (e.g. regular and affordable rural delivery that the private sector probably wouldn't provide), but I agree that the inconvenience of ending Saturday delivery is probably worth the savings. Barnes or Frodo could probably best explain the disadvantages involved in making this change.

Simply put -eliminating Saturday delivery would severely impact the speed and delivery of mail service in Atlasia, and undermine a key growth sector: parcel delivery.  Some of the Postal Service's biggest customers like Netflix and various newspaper publishers would be adversely affected by this change.  That in turn reduces revenue that the Atlasian Postal Service takes in by $5.3 billion, more than outweighing any savings gained by eliminating Saturday delivery.

It isn't worth it.  I would know since I work in RL for a union that represents USPS letter carriers.  
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2013, 02:40:30 PM »

Speaking as someone who in real life lives in a country without Saturday post I can categorically say you're vastly overstating the impact of removing it.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2013, 05:31:29 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2013, 05:34:42 PM by Frodo »

Speaking as someone who in real life lives in a country without Saturday post I can categorically say you're vastly overstating the impact of removing it.

Am I?  Wasn't a lawsuit filed last year against An Post (the Irish equivalent of the USPS) by the Communications Regulator over the quality of its postal service?  
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2013, 06:52:56 PM »

Am I?  Wasn't a lawsuit filed last year against An Post (the Irish equivalent of the USPS) by the Communications Regulator over the quality of its postal service? 

Not exactly sure how it helps your point that an unwieldy government bureaucracy is performing poorly. An Post has been a mess for years, I'm vaguely surprised we haven't sold it yet. It's possible no one would buy it.

Anyway, that has nothing to do with Saturday deliveries. I have no idea when that was abolished (or if it ever existed), but I can't remember there ever being regular Saturday post - they make exceptions at Christmas and elections if I recall correctly - and it maybe inconvenience one or two people on very rare occasions.

Bear in mind that the vast majority of post is advertising these days - parcels are commonly sent by courier service, and, well, who writes letters anymore ? Wink 
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2013, 06:58:44 PM »

I determined it, jerk.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2013, 10:10:15 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2013, 10:11:55 PM by Frodo »

Am I?  Wasn't a lawsuit filed last year against An Post (the Irish equivalent of the USPS) by the Communications Regulator over the quality of its postal service?  

Not exactly sure how it helps your point that an unwieldy government bureaucracy is performing poorly. An Post has been a mess for years, I'm vaguely surprised we haven't sold it yet. It's possible no one would buy it.

Anyway, that has nothing to do with Saturday deliveries. I have no idea when that was abolished (or if it ever existed), but I can't remember there ever being regular Saturday post - they make exceptions at Christmas and elections if I recall correctly - and it maybe inconvenience one or two people on very rare occasions.

Bear in mind that the vast majority of post is advertising these days - parcels are commonly sent by courier service, and, well, who writes letters anymore ? Wink  

If An Post is an as sh**tty a state as you suggest, why on earth would you advocate apeing it by eliminating Saturday delivery?  And how are you so certain that Saturday delivery (or lack thereof) has nothing to do with its financial troubles, which seems to have been there since its birth?  

The financial problems at the USPS, by contrast, only have become chronic after 2006.

The elimination of Saturday delivery -either here in Atlasia or in the RL United States- will do nothing to solve our problems.  An Post -by your own admission- is a perfect example of that.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2013, 02:44:50 AM »

I tend to doubt that the issue of Saturday delivery (or lack thereof) is extremely relevant, particularly in 2013 with modern technology and private package delivery services.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2013, 12:24:10 PM »

I'm more suggesting aping Deutsche Post, which, come to think of it, provides Saturday delivery! Wink

My view on this is very simple - I believe the government should provide necessary services to the public to improve their quality of life - universal healthcare, public education, transport, etc, etc. I don't think Saturday post falls under that category.

Your argument that eliminating Saturday postal delivery is some kind of crucial milestone that effectively destroys a national postal service is absurd - An Post doesn't deliver on Saturdays, thus the company is doomed? I just don't see how this is supposedly such a major issue - post on working days should suffice for the vast majority of businesses and citizens, and if it's really necessary people can always avail of a private delivery service on weekends.

The fact is if we're to have a national postal service in this country that we should at least make sure it's not massively loss-making. Eliminating what's effectively a luxury service achieves this.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2013, 12:28:43 PM »

I determined it, jerk.

Enough with the incendiary language, Senator.

I see nothing wrong with eliminating Saturday post.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2013, 12:35:16 PM »

I'm more suggesting aping Deutsche Post, which, come to think of it, provides Saturday delivery! Wink

My view on this is very simple - I believe the government should provide necessary services to the public to improve their quality of life - universal healthcare, public education, transport, etc, etc. I don't think Saturday post falls under that category.

Your argument that eliminating Saturday postal delivery is some kind of crucial milestone that effectively destroys a national postal service is absurd - An Post doesn't deliver on Saturdays, thus the company is doomed? I just don't see how this is supposedly such a major issue - post on working days should suffice for the vast majority of businesses and citizens, and if it's really necessary people can always avail of a private delivery service on weekends.

The fact is if we're to have a national postal service in this country that we should at least make sure it's not massively loss-making. Eliminating what's effectively a luxury service achieves this.

I support post privatization, like Deutsche Post, under certain circumstances. One of them is that the area and population density of a country is reasonable. I think it works in Germany and would work in Ireland.

I do have concerns about how it would work in a country the size of Atlasia.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2013, 12:52:56 PM »

Your argument that eliminating Saturday postal delivery is some kind of crucial milestone that effectively destroys a national postal service is absurd - An Post doesn't deliver on Saturdays, thus the company is doomed?

I just don't see how this is supposedly such a major issue - post on working days should suffice for the vast majority of businesses and citizens, and if it's really necessary people can always avail of a private delivery service on weekends.

Allow me to reiterate what I said earlier -the elimination of Saturday delivery is a penny-wise, pound-foolish option.  You will lose more revenue in the long-run than you will gain in the short-term, while letting private companies step into the void, thus contributing further to the downward spiral of the public postal service as it makes do with less revenue and a smaller workforce working fewer days, and earning less.  What benefits will we gain that will not be offset by lost revenue?  

By your own admission, the elimination of Saturday delivery has not helped An Post at all, apparently.  In fact, it is still suffering chronic financial problems.  

Why on earth would we want to follow the Irish example?  The elimination of Saturday delivery hasn't helped An Post, and it is definitely not going to help the Atlasian Postal Service either.  

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2013, 06:26:58 PM »

fwiw, when I wrote the original bill, I had absolutely no problem eliminating Saturday delivery. I really don't think it would have as much of a negative impact as people say. Sure, I suppose having it is a nice ideal, but, I really think we could do without and not suffer.

Also, you all better not privatize our postal service! Angry
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies