NE1: Amendment to the Constitution
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:06:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE1: Amendment to the Constitution
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE1: Amendment to the Constitution  (Read 984 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 01, 2013, 12:26:03 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Cincinnatus

Cincy, you have 24 hours to speak on this. Debate time will last 72 hours total.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 12:30:40 PM »

Cincinnatus, is this your way of trying to kick me out of the assembly? Tongue
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 12:39:15 PM »
« Edited: January 01, 2013, 12:43:17 PM by Governor Scott »

I want to know what Cincinnatus would have in mind to substitute "simple expressions of agreement or disagreement."  What if a Representative doesn't have any objections or questions related to a bill and plans to support it, or if there's a bill on the floor (maybe relating to, say, abortion) that violates his principles and he plans to oppose it without compromise?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 01:44:57 PM »

I strongly support this amendment. The Assembly is awfully boring and unproductive when expressions of agreement or disagreement dominate the discussion.

Maybe we could clarify the language in Section 9 to address Governor Scott's concern, but by my understanding of the section the situation that he describes would constitute more than a "simple expression of disagreement." In that case, the Representative would have expressed 1) his disagreement with the proposal, 2) his level of disagreement, 3) why he disagrees, 4) his willingness to compromise, and 5) what he intends to do about it. Thoughts?

I certainly think incorporating that criteria into the bill ought to be considered.  First, however, I think Cincinnatus should advocate for his proposal and give his input on that idea.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 05:19:41 PM »

I am against putting this amendment in the constitution. I don't know what the final proposal on the definition of simple agreement or disagreement will be, but the application of it will be difficult unless a representative only votes and writes nothing at all during debate time.

Some legislation topics favor debates but some others less so (like anti human trafficking legislation). You could arrive in debate and already two or three representatives have explained why they agree with the proposal and there is nothing to add.

I think it is more the responsibility and duty of representatives to contribute to debate. I don't mind friendly reminders if debate becomes too thin. Representatives have to run in elections in short cycles so if citizens are not satisfied by someone's work they can signal it in their voting and we also have recall petition if a representative is doing an awful job. 
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 05:44:04 PM »

I strongly support this amendment. The Assembly is awfully boring and unproductive when expressions of agreement or disagreement dominate the discussion.

Maybe we could clarify the language in Section 9 to address Governor Scott's concern, but by my understanding of the section the situation that he describes would constitute more than a "simple expression of disagreement." In that case, the Representative would have expressed 1) his disagreement with the proposal, 2) his level of disagreement, 3) why he disagrees, 4) his willingness to compromise, and 5) what he intends to do about it. Thoughts?

This is exactly why this bill was proposed.  No Goldwater, I'm not trying to directly kick anyone out.  However, agree or disagree, simply saying "I agree with this"..the end, or "I'll be voting Nay".. blah blah, is ridiculous.  I understand that people can completely agree with a bill, and that's fine.  However, there was WAY to much of this last session. 

It's been my experience that Representatives know not to miss 3 consecutive votes, and often vote at the very last minute, on the third bill to save their ass.  This happened often when I first joined, and luckily, has improved, if only slightly.  The MOST annoying occurrence here though, is those of us who run for election after election, and rarely contribute to debate.  The only reason they remain is because they chose to write three word posts in support, or disagreement.

And to Poirots point, sometimes there isn't something to add.  But Dear God, an entire month with nothing to add?  Shouldn't we hold our Representatives to a higher standard?
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 06:53:20 PM »

First things first, I'm proposing this amendment to avoid someone who declared a leave of absence being expellled:

8a. Vacancies in the Legislative Assembly shall be filled in a manner specified by Law, and until such determination is made, by Gubernatorial appointment. Vacancies occur upon resignation, recall, impeachment, failure to swear in within one week of the legislative session’s opening, failure to vote on three consecutive pieces of legislation without publicly declaring absence, or failure to participate in the debate of three consecutive pieces of legislation without publicly declaring absence

8b. For the purposes of Article II, subsection 8a, debate excludes one word posts, and simple expressions of agreement or disagreement

[/quote]

As well 9 should probably read 8b or something, otherwise we'll have two nines.

On the actual substance of the bill, I support the intent, but I think three sessions is a little harsh, because often there will be three noncontroversial bills in a row. I'd support this bill were it extended to 5. Finally do tabled bills count fo the purposes of this amendment?
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 08:34:14 PM »

I will accept the amendment if it reads "without publicly declaring absence for said consecutive pieces of legislation", or something to prevent someone from saying I declared an absence last year!

As to your suggestion of 5, I'd be willing to compromise on 4 consecutive.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 05:55:52 AM »

I don't think it should be hard to write down a coherent, logical post (though I may have trouble when I'm on one of my LSD-fueled rants). I just did it right there.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 06:18:27 AM »
« Edited: January 02, 2013, 06:01:50 PM by bore »

I'm proposing a new amendment:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 05:34:41 PM »

Friendly
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 01:01:00 AM »

I still have reservation in amending the constitution for this. This could be a guideline for representatives and have a warning if there is always no more contribution than I agree/disagree.

If someone would really only want to do the minimum he would have to write one sentence every 3 or 4 bills. It wouldn't change the situation much.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 05:51:54 AM »

I still have reservation in amending the constitution for this. This could be a guideline for representatives and have a warning if there is always no more contribution than I agree/disagree.

If someone would really only want to do the minimum he would have to write one sentence every 3 or 4 bills. It wouldn't change the situation much.

Maybe we should add it to the SOAP?
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 09:58:02 AM »

Maybe we should add it to the SOAP?

The requirements already exist in the amendment.  This is just a stricter amendment to that Section of the constitution.  So no, we shouldn't add it to the SOAP.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 02:36:05 PM »

Extending debate time for 24 hours so we can continue to deal with this pressing matter.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 04:27:01 PM »

Funny how the most debate this Assembly has seen in some time is on a bill regarding the lack thereof.

I'm tabling this.  I'll save my opinions on activity levels for next election.  Be warned!  Tongue 
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 06:37:21 PM »

Tabled.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies