The Movement for Four Regions (M4R)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:43:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Movement for Four Regions (M4R)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: The Movement for Four Regions (M4R)  (Read 9010 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 01, 2013, 07:08:29 PM »
« edited: January 01, 2013, 07:34:08 PM by farrakhan does not tie his own bow ties »

It's got to go. I have map proposal, which entails renaming the mideast the Midwest, but I really don't care as long as we can get rid of the Midwest and its underactive bizarrity.

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 07:09:54 PM »

No.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 07:11:26 PM »

How dare you
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 07:13:08 PM »

No.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 07:17:42 PM »

No. Instead, how about we try to improve the Midwest so all regions can prosper. Don't get rid of them. People like Maxwell and MaxQue are helping their region, and I think that instead of ditching it, we all should improve them.

Indeed. Activity is cyclical, and won't be solved by just amputating different aspects of the game. I remember a time when most regions were total wastelands of activity, and that changed with time as regional reformists came and went. We're trying our best to undergo that same process in the Midwest right now. The Mideast has had trouble in the past, the Northeast has been reformed numerous times, the South used to be nothing more than a system of initiatives. Shooting the Midwest in the head just because they don't reach the standards of the other regions at this point in time is crazy.

It would help, of course, if people would actually stop leaving the region. Tongue
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 07:23:34 PM »
« Edited: January 01, 2013, 07:30:04 PM by SoEA SJoyce »

No. Instead, how about we try to improve the Midwest so all regions can prosper. Don't get rid of them. People like Maxwell and MaxQue are helping their region, and I think that instead of ditching it, we all should improve them.

Indeed. Activity is cyclical, and won't be solved by just amputating different aspects of the game. I remember a time when most regions were total wastelands of activity, and that changed with time as regional reformists came and went. We're trying our best to undergo that same process in the Midwest right now. The Mideast has had trouble in the past, the Northeast has been reformed numerous times, the South used to be nothing more than a system of initiatives. Shooting the Midwest in the head just because they don't reach the standards of the other regions at this point in time is crazy.

It would help, of course, if people would actually stop leaving the region. Tongue

But wouldn't all those seem to point to the idea that we can only sustain four regions (with different regions being inactive at different times)? I don't want to "punish the Midwest" or anything, but, if we can only have four active regions, it makes sense that, if you're chopping off a region in order to make four that are fully active, it'd be a centrally-located one that currently has low activity. Although I think that any map would be something more like:

But in the end, this is an elections game, and there's no fun if you're not having any competitive elections.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 07:28:22 PM »

But wouldn't all those seem to point to the idea that we can only sustain four regions (with different regions being inactive at different times)?

No.  The Mideast is if anything super-active right now.  There would be enough people if we forced people to move from the Mideast to make the Midwest active (not that I'm advocating this... just merely pointing out that we have enough people).
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 07:29:40 PM »

But wouldn't all those seem to point to the idea that we can only sustain four regions (with different regions being inactive at different times)?

No, that's silly. It's not like the activity genie keeps moving around from region to region. It's just about the right people at the right time. Not all regions are going to be running at level eleven at all times. The idea that we should just snip one of the five pillars that the entire game is built around and re-arrange everything just because one region is having structural problems that we are actively trying to solve is bananas.

With all this anti-Midwest stuff and the Senate trying to basically act like it's a parliament, I'm beginning to think this game is full of awfully impatient people these days.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 07:30:46 PM »

And the current mood of "let's make everybody able to have a position!" isn't helping... there's then no incentive to move to an area with less activity.  In fact, I think this discussion has made me change my opinion on expanding the Mideast Assembly.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 07:33:33 PM »

I agree with SJoyce. All signs point to the fact that Atlasia can sustain only four regions.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 07:37:30 PM »

I agree with SJoyce. All signs point to the fact that Atlasia can sustain only four regions.

All signs?  No, the way you weirdly read the signs points to that opinion.  We have plenty of people registered, and we sustained 5 regions with much less.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 07:42:09 PM »

If the Midwest has a three-seat elected Legislature elected at regular intervals, that would be a start. They could still retain their crazy culture, like having week-long elections, but it would definitely help if they tried this. The Regional Kommissaer could be elected from the elected Representatant, so seats wouldn't be too hard to fill. I really agree with Inks on this one. Above all else, this is an election game, not a policy game.

Exactly.  The point of this game should not be that everyone who wants to should hold some office so they can make decisions.  If that's the type of game you want, go play Nation States.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 07:43:16 PM »

Well, obviously having fewer regions would make that harder, so I don't see the point.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 07:43:20 PM »

All signs?  No, the way you weirdly read the signs points to that opinion.  We have plenty of people registered, and we sustained 5 regions with much less.

Yep. Some people here don't seem to have any sense of history. The Midwest will be righted because when regions have trouble, or seem ripe for the picking, people move there and fix it. A couple of years ago, the Northeast was a basketcase, and many people moved there (including myself) to help participate in fixing it.

The game is constantly self correcting in that way, and the same will be true for the Midwest. Eventually other regions will fall on hard times. These things cycle, nothing stays the same for forever. Part of the problem is strategic registration; people see the Midwest as "safe" for a certain segment of the game, and so no one moves here to compete, which is basically the exact same problem the Pacific had for a good long time, until party dissolution and the region has undergone a real renaissance since.

This cycle has repeated many times, and will repeat many more, long after we're gone, Simfan.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 07:45:20 PM »

So Simfan, what is your threshold sign for when a region needs to be abolished?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2013, 07:47:12 PM »

When they start giving states and pretty much everything ludicrous names.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 07:56:22 PM »

So then this has nothing to do with inactivity?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2013, 08:00:41 PM »
« Edited: January 01, 2013, 08:02:43 PM by farrakhan does not tie his own bow ties »

No, it does, just a symptom of prolonged inactivity.

Also remember that the Pacific is still on life support, thanks to Spamage's reforms. The Midwest is hampering the Pacific recovery.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2013, 08:06:24 PM »

No, it does, just a symptom of prolonged inactivity.

Also remember that the Pacific is still on life support, thanks to Spamage's reforms. The Midwest is hampering the Pacific recovery.

So the region has been inactive since 2006?  That's a ridiculous statement.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2013, 08:40:01 PM »

Absolutely opposed to this. The MW can easily become active with a few governmental reforms.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2013, 09:16:20 PM »

i'd move to the midwest and help.. but I used up my move Sad
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2013, 09:28:56 PM »

Well, I will be moving to Kansas RL in May...Tongue

I think bringing new faces in is the best way to encourage growth in the Midwest - personally, I cannot support a map that cuts the Mideast up, which is what your map does. We have a great thing going here, and I'd hate to screw it up.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 09:39:27 PM »

Under your map, MD is in the NE, VA is in IDS, yet Nyman is in the Midwest?

Huh
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2013, 10:28:23 PM »

I'm heartened by the MaxQue's and Maxwell's shared interest in reviving the Midwest so I don't think axing it is necessary right now. But if we were to actually to give Atlasia four regions; the following changes would make Simfan's map acceptable IMO.

1. Give Nyman to the Northeast.
2. Rename the Midwest the Mideast.
3. Give Virginia back to the Mideast.
4. Give Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana to the Pacific.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2013, 11:24:00 PM »

How about the North-central region? That makes more sense.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies