The Movement for Four Regions (M4R)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:11:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Movement for Four Regions (M4R)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: The Movement for Four Regions (M4R)  (Read 9027 times)
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2013, 11:26:24 PM »

How about the North-central region? That makes more sense.

Why not just the North region?
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2013, 11:30:54 PM »

Cause there's already a Northeast. North-central is an accurate description of where the region would be.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2013, 11:33:02 PM »

Cause there's already a Northeast. North-central is an accurate description of where the region would be.

I suppose so, it just sound kind of weird to say...
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2013, 11:39:20 PM »

Greater New England?
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2013, 11:50:29 PM »

NO.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2013, 12:18:48 AM »

Not that I think we need to Move to Four Regions, but if we did, here's the map I'd like to see:

(with Puerto Rico part of the Blue)

The four regios would each have 13 States, and approximately equal real life population.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2013, 12:23:56 AM »

Not that I think we need to Move to Four Regions, but if we did, here's the map I'd like to see:

The four regios would each have 13 States, and approximately equal real life population.

Interesting, but what would it be like with Atlasia's population?
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2013, 06:25:45 AM »

Here's my sexy 5 region map. Smiley
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2013, 06:28:12 AM »

I'm strongly against redrawing the regional map. I'm however for abolishing regions on the federal level and instituting necessary reforms in the election process that come necessary with such action.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2013, 06:29:51 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It would destroy every single federalist. Gerrymander much?
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2013, 06:34:43 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Nope, you keep all that. TX+OK Smiley Just look at the map, doesn't it just look great? Smiley
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2013, 09:42:54 AM »

Maybe to bump up midwestern activity we could allow anyone who wants to to move there regardless of how long until they get a move.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2013, 09:43:27 AM »

Maybe to bump up midwestern activity we could allow anyone who wants to to move there regardless of how long until they get a move.

An excellent idea!
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2013, 10:18:51 AM »

I have a proposal for a truly great and fair map.

Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2013, 11:12:45 AM »

I remember a time when the Midwest (second to the Mideast) was the most active region. Granted even as I was still active here they were surpassed by the Northeast and the South. But if even the Pacific is more active than the Midwest, times have really changed.

But I'd not recommend you to get rid of the region just because it has a slight down in activity. For most of the time I was active here the Pacific was completly dead and was just a place for the JCP to store their army, so times can quite clearly change. 
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2013, 11:27:54 AM »

I remember a time when the Midwest (second to the Mideast) was the most active region. Granted even as I was still active here they were surpassed by the Northeast and the South. But if even the Pacific is more active than the Midwest, times have really changed.

But I'd not recommend you to get rid of the region just because it has a slight down in activity. For most of the time I was active here the Pacific was completly dead and was just a place for the JCP to store their army, so times can quite clearly change. 

Leaving the content of your post aside (though I largely agree with what you said), it would be great if you staged a comeback in Atlasia. Wink
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2013, 05:53:41 PM »

I remember a time when the Midwest (second to the Mideast) was the most active region.

That must be a lie.  Simfan has proven that they've been inactive since 2006!!!
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2013, 06:24:45 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2013, 09:25:17 PM by True Federalist »

The four regions would each have 13 States, and approximately equal real life population.

Interesting, but what would it be like with Atlasia's population?

with 1 in Puerto Rico.

Blue: 44
Green: 34
Red: 53
Yellow: 34

If we wanted four equal population areas, this would be better right now, but as anyone who remembers when we elected the non-Region Senators by districts instead of a single multi-member STV system could tell you, population in Atlasia fluctuates considerably, so trying to base region sizes on the Atlasian census is ridiculous.

with 1 in Puerto Rico.

Blue: 41
Green: 41
Red: 41
Yellow: 41

Speaking of which, this would be an interesting 5 district map:

with 1 in Puerto Rico.

Blue: 34
Green: 32
Grey:33
Red: 33
Yellow: 32

However, the bottleneck caused by New York would at times make it difficult to draw contiguous maps, which was one reason we abandoned single-member districts, and even when it wasn't difficult, how the northeast would be districted was usually a foregone conclusion as it is with this map.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2013, 06:27:38 PM »

I have a proposal for a truly great and fair map.

So Florida is now part of the Northeast? Cheesy
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2013, 07:48:54 PM »

An excellent idea!

Homesteading Act of 2013
Whereas from time to time certain Regions and States of Atlasia have become underpopulated and thus have vacant land waiting to be used for the well-being of this Republic, let the following be done:

Section 1: Amendment
The following amendment to the Third Constitution shall be sent to the Regions for approval.

Article V Section 2 Clause 6 shall be amended to read as follows:

Persons may only change their State of registration from one Region to another Region once every 180 days. Changes in State of registration within a single Region may occur once a month. The Senate may by law alter these restrictions, but no such law shall take effect until after the next general election following the passage of such a law.

Section 2: Restoring the Free Move

After the first general election following adoption of the amendment in Section 1, Persons who have not changed their State of registration since their initial registration shall be able to freely move to any other State, irrespective of Region.

Section 3: Homesteading Underpopulated Regions

After the first general election following adoption of the amendment in Section 1, if any Region in underpopulated, then not withstanding any other provision of law, a voter may freely move to any State within that Region, provided he is not currently registered in a State that is in a Region which is underpopulated. For purposes of this section, a Region is underpopulated if it has less than three-twentieths of the population of Atlasia, as determined by the registered voter list maintained by the Registrar General.

Section 4: Homesteading Empty States

After the first general election following adoption of the amendment in Section 1, if any State is unpopulated, then not withstanding any other provision of law, a voter currently registered in a State which is in the same Region may freely move to that State, provided he is not currently registered in a State which is underpopulated. Also a voter currently registered in a State which is not in the same Region as an underpopulated State may move to that State if he has not changed his State of registration within the last 60 days, provided he is not currently registered in a State which is underpopulated. For purposes of this section, a State is underpopulated if it has less than one-fifty second of the population of Atlasia, as determined by the registered voter list maintained by the Registrar General.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2013, 07:54:15 PM »

After the first general election following adoption of the amendment in Section 1, if any State is unpopulated, then not withstanding any other provision of law, a voter currently registered in a State which is in the same Region may freely move to that State, provided he is not currently registered in a State which is underpopulated. Also a voter currently registered in a State which is not in the same Region as an underpopulated State may move to that State if he has not changed his State of registration within the last 60 days, provided he is not currently registered in a State which is underpopulated. For purposes of this section, a State is underpopulated if it has less than one-fifty second of the population of Atlasia, as determined by the registered voter list maintained by the Registrar General.

Intraregional moves I believe are able to be made once every... 48 hours? 24? Something very short.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2013, 08:08:03 PM »

Once a day, if I'm correct. It's pretty reasonable since it doesn't affect the game at all, besides changing a few blank spaces/colors on election maps.

Here in the Mideast, we have 10 people in Virginia, but none in Maryland and Nyman, so I wish we could get some people to move there so we can fill up those spaces. I moved from Virginia to Missouri for that reason.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2013, 09:23:42 PM »

Intraregional moves I believe are able to be made once every... 48 hours? 24? Something very short.

Once every month according to the constitution, not that it matters since at present it doesn't affect anything if you move from one state to another in the same region.  It could matter back when we had districts.

My proposal does a minimum change to the constitution in that it leaves the permanent constitutional provisions exactly as they are according to the wiki save that it adds authority to the Senate to change them, but not so often as to be confusing. The RG doesn't have to worry about a last minute change in the law concerning when people can move.

Sections 2, 3, and 4 could be adopted in any combination or a bare bones amendment with no legislation awaiting ratification.  I bifurcated the waiting period in section 4 because the current law bifurcates it.  If the senate wants to adopt a uniform waiting period to move to an empty state if could do that as well.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2013, 09:34:45 PM »

Once every month according to the constitution, not that it matters since at present it doesn't affect anything if you move from one state to another in the same region.  It could matter back when we had districts.

My proposal does a minimum change to the constitution in that it leaves the permanent constitutional provisions exactly as they are according to the wiki save that it adds authority to the Senate to change them, but not so often as to be confusing. The RG doesn't have to worry about a last minute change in the law concerning when people can move.

Sections 2, 3, and 4 could be adopted in any combination or a bare bones amendment with no legislation awaiting ratification.  I bifurcated the waiting period in section 4 because the current law bifurcates it.  If the senate wants to adopt a uniform waiting period to move to an empty state if could do that as well.

Under the First Amendment it's once every 24 hours.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2013, 02:12:19 AM »

Okay, I'll revise it to use the 24 hour clause, and with it, I can simplify my proposed section 4, since there is no need to shorten a 24 hour waiting period.

Homesteading Act of 2013 (2nd proposal)
Whereas from time to time certain Regions and States of Atlasia have become underpopulated and thus have vacant land waiting to be used for the well-being of this Republic, let the following be done:

Section 1: Amendment
The following amendment to the Third Constitution shall be sent to the Regions for approval.

Article V Section 2 Clause 6 shall be amended to read as follows:

Persons may only change their State of registration from one Region to another Region once every 180 days. Changes in State of registration within a single Region may occur once every 24 hours. The Senate may by law alter these restrictions, but no such law shall take effect until after the next general election following the passage of such a law.

Section 2: Restoring the Free Move

After the first general election following adoption of the amendment in Section 1, Persons who have not changed their State of registration since their initial registration shall be able to freely move to any other State, irrespective of Region.

Section 3: Homesteading Underpopulated Regions

After the first general election following adoption of the amendment in Section 1, if any Region in underpopulated, then not withstanding any other provision of law, a voter may freely move to any State within that Region, provided he is not currently registered in a State that is in a Region which is underpopulated. For purposes of this section, a Region is underpopulated if it has less than three-twentieths of the population of Atlasia, as determined by the registered voter list maintained by the Registrar General.

After the first general election following adoption of the amendment in Section 1, if any State is unpopulated, then not withstanding any other provision of law, a voter currently registered in a State which is not in the same Region as that State may move to that State if he has not changed his Region of registration within the last 60 days.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies