The Movement for Four Regions (M4R)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:06:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Movement for Four Regions (M4R)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: The Movement for Four Regions (M4R)  (Read 9031 times)
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2013, 07:09:31 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Change this to this, and you'll have my support. As worded, your amendment would drain the Midwest of it's participants.
Northeast Rep Snowball
hiboby1998
United States

« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2013, 07:23:38 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Change this to this, and you'll have my support. As worded, your amendment would drain the Midwest of it's participants.
This is just fairness considering that we are recreating the free move.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2013, 11:24:07 AM »

It would seem that this so-called "Movement" for Four Regions intends to try to carve up the Mideast like a Thanksgiving turkey.  I can only say in response "over my dead body!"  The Mideast is thriving and cutting it up in order to make the Midwest a more active region (to say nothing of the proposals which would abolish the region altogether) would be akin to killing the goose that laid the golden egg.  The true solution to the Midwest's low-activity problems is for the region's concerned citizens to recruit new individuals, support candidates who are committed to reenergizing the region, and establish an regional legislative body so that civic minded Midwesterners will have more opportunities to get involved in the regional government.  All chopping up the Mideast will do is kill one of Atlasia's great present-day success stories.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2013, 11:37:06 AM »
« Edited: January 03, 2013, 11:40:17 AM by Simfan34 »

It would seem that this so-called "Movement" for Four Regions intends to try to carve up the Mideast like a Thanksgiving turkey.  I can only say in response "over my dead body!"  The Mideast is thriving and cutting it up in order to make the Midwest a more active region (to say nothing of the proposals which would abolish the region altogether) would be akin to killing the goose that laid the golden egg.  The true solution to the Midwest's low-activity problems is for the region's concerned citizens to recruit new individuals, support candidates who are committed to reenergizing the region, and establish an regional legislative body so that civic minded Midwesterners will have more opportunities to get involved in the regional government.  All chopping up the Mideast will do is kill one of Atlasia's great present-day success stories.

I do not intend to carve up the Mideast! How about this?

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2013, 11:50:50 AM »

That is acceptable since it doesn't chop up the Mideast (I was referring in no small part to a number of other proposals that had been suggested), although I still disagree with the premise that Atlasia can only support four regions.  I would argue that the best solution is what I described in my previous post.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2013, 11:58:56 AM »

This is almost exactly the map I described earlier, except it keeps Maryland and Nyman within the Mideast/Central Region, which I am perfectly fine with. If we are to consolidate Atlasia into four regions, this is the map I would support.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2013, 12:01:00 PM »

Simfan, you're embarrassing yourself.  Please come back when you have attained time in Atlasia enough to be informed about these matters Wink

Okay, I'll revise it to use the 24 hour clause, and with it, I can simplify my proposed section 4, since there is no need to shorten a 24 hour waiting period.

Homesteading Act of 2013 (2nd proposal)
Whereas from time to time certain Regions and States of Atlasia have become underpopulated and thus have vacant land waiting to be used for the well-being of this Republic, let the following be done:

Section 1: Amendment
The following amendment to the Third Constitution shall be sent to the Regions for approval.

Article V Section 2 Clause 6 shall be amended to read as follows:

Persons may only change their State of registration from one Region to another Region once every 180 days. Changes in State of registration within a single Region may occur once every 24 hours. The Senate may by law alter these restrictions, but no such law shall take effect until after the next general election following the passage of such a law.

Section 2: Restoring the Free Move

After the first general election following adoption of the amendment in Section 1, Persons who have not changed their State of registration since their initial registration shall be able to freely move to any other State, irrespective of Region.

Section 3: Homesteading Underpopulated Regions

After the first general election following adoption of the amendment in Section 1, if any Region in underpopulated, then not withstanding any other provision of law, a voter may freely move to any State within that Region, provided he is not currently registered in a State that is in a Region which is underpopulated. For purposes of this section, a Region is underpopulated if it has less than three-twentieths of the population of Atlasia, as determined by the registered voter list maintained by the Registrar General.

Section 4: Homesteading Empty States

After the first general election following adoption of the amendment in Section 1, if any State is unpopulated, then not withstanding any other provision of law, a voter currently registered in a State which is not in the same Region as that State may move to that State if he has not changed his Region of registration within the last 60 days.

Yes please!  This is, essentially, the biggest problem facing the Midwest - unlike previous periods with inactivity in the MW and other regions, no one is moving here to try to help fix it.
Northeast Rep Snowball
hiboby1998
United States

« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2013, 12:05:33 PM »

Simfan, you're embarrassing yourself.  Please come back when you have attained time in Atlasia enough to be informed about these matters Wink

Okay, I'll revise it to use the 24 hour clause, and with it, I can simplify my proposed section 4, since there is no need to shorten a 24 hour waiting period.

Homesteading Act of 2013 (2nd proposal)
Whereas from time to time certain Regions and States of Atlasia have become underpopulated and thus have vacant land waiting to be used for the well-being of this Republic, let the following be done:

Section 1: Amendment
The following amendment to the Third Constitution shall be sent to the Regions for approval.

Article V Section 2 Clause 6 shall be amended to read as follows:

Persons may only change their State of registration from one Region to another Region once every 180 days. Changes in State of registration within a single Region may occur once every 24 hours. The Senate may by law alter these restrictions, but no such law shall take effect until after the next general election following the passage of such a law.

Section 2: Restoring the Free Move

After the first general election following adoption of the amendment in Section 1, Persons who have not changed their State of registration since their initial registration shall be able to freely move to any other State, irrespective of Region.

Section 3: Homesteading Underpopulated Regions

After the first general election following adoption of the amendment in Section 1, if any Region in underpopulated, then not withstanding any other provision of law, a voter may freely move to any State within that Region, provided he is not currently registered in a State that is in a Region which is underpopulated. For purposes of this section, a Region is underpopulated if it has less than three-twentieths of the population of Atlasia, as determined by the registered voter list maintained by the Registrar General.

Section 4: Homesteading Empty States

After the first general election following adoption of the amendment in Section 1, if any State is unpopulated, then not withstanding any other provision of law, a voter currently registered in a State which is not in the same Region as that State may move to that State if he has not changed his Region of registration within the last 60 days.

Yes please!  This is, essentially, the biggest problem facing the Midwest - unlike previous periods with inactivity in the MW and other regions, no one is moving here to try to help fix it.
The biggest problem is that there are not many seats that are contestable for a while, senate is pretty solid, so some major players would have to move to make a difference, or the leaders there would create more reason for people to move there.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2013, 04:14:13 PM »

Or we could just bring back districts!
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2013, 12:10:55 AM »

I'd be completely in favor of this for national Senate elections, replacing regional Senate seats.  With redistricting done by governors, of course, to give them something to do Cheesy
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2013, 12:58:33 AM »

This map could never be tolerated in the IDS. If the ME is getting such a large portion of land, the IDS would need Kentucky and Virginia. Also the NE acquiring Maryland and Nyman should be appropriate.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2013, 01:11:29 AM »

This map could never be tolerated in the IDS. If the ME is getting such a large portion of land, the IDS would need Kentucky and Virginia. Also the NE acquiring Maryland and Nyman should be appropriate.
Well, in fairness, the more important thing is how it divides up the population, not how it divides up land. This is the best map I have personally seen thus far, and the only map I could see myself conceivably supporting. Would be interested in seeing the population breakdown, though.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2013, 01:18:38 AM »

Being from Wisconsin I've always felt that it's weird that Iowa and Minnesota are in a different region. We are much more connected to those states then the Mid-Atlantic region. Gaining Iowa and Minnesota to the Mideast would be the only region I would support going to 4 regions.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2013, 02:41:46 AM »

I'd be completely in favor of this for national Senate elections, replacing regional Senate seats.  With redistricting done by governors, of course, to give them something to do Cheesy

No, they should be brought back to the same way they were before.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2013, 12:05:41 PM »

Governors from regions outside the Midwest do not need "something to do." Furthermore, Senate districts would limit the relevance of the regions, especially smaller ones like the Midwest.

Each region has a distinct personality; the Midwest is a bizarre place, and it doesn't function as the other regions do, but that isn't a flaw. I favor leaving the regions as they are, and allowing them to evolve according to the aspirations and efforts of their residents.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2013, 01:25:09 AM »

Because of the New York bottleneck I mentioned earlier, redistricting was always a pain.  Also it meant that the Northeast was always guaranteed to have at least one of the district senators, since it was usually impossible to come up with a plan that would not have a district that was not wholly contained in the Northeast.

Maybe if the six New England states split off and formed an independent country?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2013, 01:32:13 AM »

But district's didn't have to be contiguous... they could have 1 state of separation... so there isn't really a bottleneck.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2013, 02:13:50 AM »

Governors from regions outside the Midwest do not need "something to do."
^^^

The Governorship has much more responsibilities and takes more time than being a Senator, that is, if you do your job correctly. Wink
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2013, 05:08:02 AM »

But district's didn't have to be contiguous... they could have 1 state of separation... so there isn't really a bottleneck.

Ah.  I remembered we did something to relieve the bottleneck but not what.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2013, 06:27:12 AM »

Instead of using a map of the US you could create your own country or use a different one?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2013, 05:31:05 PM »

Instead of using a map of the US you could create your own country or use a different one?

No, this is the US after we took over the system back in '04.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2013, 11:23:49 AM »

Northeast Rep Snowball
hiboby1998
United States

« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2013, 05:36:14 PM »

feds would never accept this.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2015, 07:03:16 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2015, 07:14:49 PM by Governor Simfan34 »

This still remains relevant...

No. Instead, how about we try to improve the Midwest so all regions can prosper. Don't get rid of them. People like Maxwell and MaxQue are helping their region, and I think that instead of ditching it, we all should improve them.

Indeed. Activity is cyclical, and won't be solved by just amputating different aspects of the game. I remember a time when most regions were total wastelands of activity, and that changed with time as regional reformists came and went. We're trying our best to undergo that same process in the Midwest right now. The Mideast has had trouble in the past, the Northeast has been reformed numerous times, the South used to be nothing more than a system of initiatives. Shooting the Midwest in the head just because they don't reach the standards of the other regions at this point in time is crazy.

It would help, of course, if people would actually stop leaving the region. Tongue

But wouldn't all those seem to point to the idea that we can only sustain four regions (with different regions being inactive at different times)? I don't want to "punish the Midwest" or anything, but, if we can only have four active regions, it makes sense that, if you're chopping off a region in order to make four that are fully active, it'd be a centrally-located one that currently has low activity. Although I think that any map would be something more like:

But in the end, this is an elections game, and there's no fun if you're not having any competitive elections.

That is acceptable since it doesn't chop up the Mideast (I was referring in no small part to a number of other proposals that had been suggested), although I still disagree with the premise that Atlasia can only support four regions.  I would argue that the best solution is what I described in my previous post.

I like these.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2015, 11:48:32 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies