Italy: Mussolini admiration going mainstream?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:52:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Italy: Mussolini admiration going mainstream?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Italy: Mussolini admiration going mainstream?  (Read 1825 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 02, 2013, 07:51:58 PM »

From the Grauniad.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jan/01/benito-mussolini-rehabilitation-italy?CMP=twt_gu
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 09:30:50 PM »

Maybe they just want to think about the other time Italy was Germany's bitch Tongue
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 09:31:21 PM »

For some bizarre reason, my mind processed Mussolini as Berlusconi.

The article strikes me as the sort of fear-mongering thing published on a slow news day, predicting a comeback of some moribund far right force based off of silly things like calendar sales, the ramblings of isolated councilmen, or some nostalgic old people. In short, there's no base to it. The major post-fascist parties have mainly fallen apart and disavowed fascism, which only happened 10-20 years ago.

I know, rather different from my usual apologist tune. But neither the Shah nor Franco nor Park invaded my homeland or gassed my people.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 12:11:35 AM »

Me too.

I know, rather different from my usual apologist tune. But neither the Shah nor Franco nor Park invaded my homeland or gassed my people.

Ethiopia?

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 02:43:36 AM »

Me too.

Same here. That's really weird.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 07:17:15 AM »

I think it's because the words are similar in length and both end in "i".
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 07:18:54 AM »

They are also similarly grandiose and slightly unhinged.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 07:52:08 AM »

Me too.

If one of these two has to be rehabilitated, I'd rather it be the one who can't run for office anymore. Tongue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 05:16:08 AM »

Me too.

If one of these two has to be rehabilitated, I'd rather it be the one who can't run for office anymore. Tongue

Mussolini still has devotees who can run for office, though. Is Berlusconi worse than Mussolini disciples? Tongue
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 05:19:01 AM »

Me too.

Mussolini still has devotees who can run for office, though. Is Berlusconi worse than Mussolini disciples? Tongue

Is it entirely clear that Berlusconi isn't on some level a Mussolini disciple?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 06:20:30 AM »

They are also similarly grandiose and slightly unhinged.

And they both have a similar chin.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 08:51:30 AM »

Me too.

But these "devotees" are electorally irrelevant. Frankly, neofascists are the last of Italy's problems at this point.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 10:20:06 AM »

Yesterday, I wrote a post about how the British media loves taking a condescending and condemning tone towards Italians on all topics. This is one of their favorites. They write about this every couple of months. You know, when they have nothing better to do. This isn't "news."
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 01:43:39 PM »

Yesterday, I wrote a post about how the British media loves taking a condescending and condemning tone towards Italians on all topics. This is one of their favorites. They write about this every couple of months. You know, when they have nothing better to do. This isn't "news."

To be fair, there is a substantial Mussolini fanclub in Italy. Certainly much more mainstream that admirers of most former dictators of the time. It can be explained (though certainly not justified) by Italy's particular history, the Civil War and all, and also by the complete failings of the Italian political class that preceded and succeeded him. The "at least under Mussolini trains came in time" talking point is somewhat common.

Honestly, I can't get myself to despise these people as I normally do for dictatorship-nostalgic. At least not for the old ones (fascist youths are unforgivable), the ones who actually lived under fascism, like my Calabrian grandparents (my grandfather fought WW2 and then fought in the RSI's ranks during the Civil War). They were tragically misguided and became the tools of an unspeakable horror, but being caught in such a complicated historical context can shape someone's mind to an enormous extent.

Francesco De Gregori made a beautiful and extremely moving song about this, Le Storie di Ieri. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxTIYV861Tw
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 04:01:50 PM »

Sure there is a fan club and I personally know people that wouldn't classify themselves as fans but give him credit for "domestic accomplishments." That has nothing to do with why this was written. This isn't anything new. It isn't news. It's being written because of the British media's desire to run their occasional hit piece on Italians. Seriously.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 04:15:51 PM »

Sure there is a fan club and I personally know people that wouldn't classify themselves as fans but give him credit for "domestic accomplishments." That has nothing to do with why this was written. This isn't anything new. It isn't news. It's being written because of the British media's desire to run their occasional hit piece on Italians. Seriously.

Indeed, Mussolini admiration is nothing new.

As bad as Britain might be at Italian-bashing, I think Germany is worse. I've heard about some pretty disgusting things from "established" German newspapers.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 04:16:39 PM »

Half the senior people in the British media have holiday homes in Italy.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 08:04:04 PM »

and I'm still struggling to see what that post had to do with anything that came before it.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 09:43:09 AM »

Half the senior people in the British media have holiday homes in Italy.

Correct. They're hypocrites, you see. I've argued that in the past, too.

and I'm still struggling to see what that post had to do with anything that came before it.

The post speaks to the fact that this Mussolini worship isn't news. It's fueled by a dislike of Italians by those writing these stories. But please continue to act dumb and convince yourself that you've never noticed condescension towards and demonization of Italians by the British media. I especially enjoy this act by those of you who openly mock Italians around here. Just drop the act.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, 09:58:01 AM »
« Edited: January 05, 2013, 10:03:24 AM by Leftbehind »

The post speaks to the fact that this Mussolini worship isn't news. It's fueled by a dislike of Italians by those writing these stories. But please continue to act dumb and convince yourself that you've never noticed condescension towards and demonization of Italians by the British media. I especially enjoy this act by those of you who openly mock Italians around here. Just drop the act.

Actually, I was talking about the earlier post you alluded to. Seemed like you went on a rant about how the English media demonize the Italians apropos of nothing. You've misunderstood: I wouldn't argue that I'd never seen condescension towards Italians in our press, but our press is overwhelmingly jingoist and xenophobic, so that's expected. I don't however think the best way to conclude a commendable argument against it, is to wryly comment on how you think the English should be pitied. Seems the sort of distasteful bollocks that would fit right in, in our disgraceful press. All of which said in a thread about why an Italian-American has never made it to US President...

Oh and care to find these posts of mine mocking Italians, before you lump me in with these alleged Italian-bashers inhabiting this place, or are we talking in strawmen?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2013, 12:06:35 PM »

Not directed at you nor is it a strawman. It was directed at Al. Now let's see if he posts something in code that suggests he doesn't post disparaging comments about Italians.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies