Ari Fleischer: I'm Limiting Charitable Deductions Due To Smaller Tax Breaks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:31:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ari Fleischer: I'm Limiting Charitable Deductions Due To Smaller Tax Breaks
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Ari Fleischer: I'm Limiting Charitable Deductions Due To Smaller Tax Breaks  (Read 1496 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 02, 2013, 10:08:05 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://twitter.com/AriFleischer/status/286150110046474241

Wow....
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 10:33:04 PM »

If I may, Mr. Speaker:

Asshole.
LiberalJunkie
LiberalJunkie99
Canada

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 10:38:05 PM »

Ari is the defenition of a HP
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 11:01:25 PM »

Charitable deductions will be going down next year. Charitable contributions have historically been proportional to after-tax income. With taxes going up, contributions will be down and would have been no matter how it was decided to raise tax revenue.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 12:51:22 AM »

Yes, one may preach that someone should not start giving less to charity just because they are making less money. But that's how it works for most people. 
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 12:55:20 AM »

While yes this is a dick move, I do have one question. Of those here complaining, when have you ever yourself donated anywhere close to what he does to charity? I do not know myself how much he donates but I am willing to bet it is more in one check than anyone complaining here has their entire lives given to charity.

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 12:58:23 AM »

While yes this is a dick move, I do have one question. Of those here complaining, when have you ever yourself donated anywhere close to what he does to charity? I do not know myself how much he donates but I am willing to bet it is more in one check than anyone complaining here has their entire lives given to charity.

To he whom much is given, much shall be required.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 12:59:15 AM »

Yes, and its not our place to judge. Smiley
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 01:07:43 AM »

Yes, and its not our place to judge. Smiley
Wag that finger one more time and I'll have it cut off.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 01:11:33 AM »

I feel like I should add: Yes, I do believe people who have the means should give whatever they can to help those in need. But at the end of the day its still the choice of people what they do with their own money.

Yeah, I am totally judging you people for judging him. Tongue
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 01:13:00 AM »
« Edited: January 03, 2013, 01:14:37 AM by memphis »

I always make an end of the year donation to St Jude's Children Research Hospital. Here in Memphis, they are working diligently to cure childhood cancers. And the survival rate for childhood leukemia, the most common childhood cancer, has gone up from less than 10% when the place was founded in the postwar period (St Jude is the patron saint of lost causes) to over 90% today. And while the dollar figure may not compare with what the richers can give, it's a sizable sum to me. Not talking $20 here. And I'm not reducing it because my payroll taxes just went up. With an attitude like that, I tend to doubt he gives at all. Thankfully, with the new healthcare law, there will be much less need for charity. Right now, much has to be donated just so some people can access basic health care. And that is a crime against humanity.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 05:52:19 AM »

I feel like I should add: Yes, I do believe people who have the means should give whatever they can to help those in need. But at the end of the day its still the choice of people what they do with their own money.

Yeah, I am totally judging you people for judging him. Tongue

Why? Not only can one cast aspersions on people for things that are their choice, those are some of the only things one can fairly cast aspersions on people for.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 06:48:07 AM »

It's obvious that him and others like him do this kind of stuff to make a point. It's not as if they are actually "going broke" now or something.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 09:55:46 AM »

Well personally I give about 15% of my income, in the form of tithing, sponsoring a 3rd world kid, and giving to the local crisis pregnancy center.

Now that I've justified that.... this guy is a freaking asshole!!!!!!
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 10:01:44 AM »

It is often said that conservatives tend to give more to charity… if it is with motivations like this, the point is lost.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 11:09:09 AM »

It is often said that conservatives tend to give more to charity… if it is with motivations like this, the point is lost.

IIRC a study in Canada that ranked groups by there charitable giving. It went:

1) Religious conservative
2) Religious liberal
3) Secular liberal
4) Secular conservative

So it seems to be more to do with religiosity than anything else. Presumably the religious people are doing it because God says so, not for the tax deduction, but your point definitely stands with the secular right.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 11:16:52 AM »

Ari Fleischer is a dick. What else is new?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 11:20:14 AM »

This is only "true" because their churches count as "charity." Not how I'd define charity, but I don't work for the IRS.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 12:06:54 PM »

This is only "true" because their churches count as "charity." Not how I'd define charity, but I don't work for the IRS.

I tend to agree. I think if churches want to provide services to the poor, they ought to set up a separate non-profit that deals with doing that. Contributions to that should be tax-deductible, but contributions to the church itself to pay for overhead and services for members aren't really charity so much as they are an unofficial membership fee in a private club.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 12:17:51 PM »
« Edited: January 03, 2013, 12:33:15 PM by DemPGH »

He's one of the most hackish GOPers on TV. His pre-election spin on CNN was actually nauseating. As to the quote, it shows that he has neither charity nor giving in his heart. Conservatives often say that the homeless and downtrodden should rely on charity, but it isn't what's in the heart of a conservative. Just a balance sheet that shows a tax credit.

And if charity and compassion were what America was concerned about, you would not hear from people like Fleischer.

A lot of these people thump the Bible, but what does the Bible say about giving in order to get back?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 01:31:56 PM »

And if one is then given less, is less required also?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 03:54:06 PM »

I wonder how all the nuns working as nurses and teachers are supported? Roll Eyes In all serious  though, churches spend a lot of money on helping the needy, so it's hardly fair to discount all the money given to churches as "not charity"

On another note, in Canada, religious people still give more even if you don't count churches as charities, which really makes the seculars look like cheapskates.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 04:01:24 PM »

I wonder how all the nuns working as nurses and teachers are supported? Roll Eyes In all serious  though, churches spend a lot of money on helping the needy, so it's hardly fair to discount all the money given to churches as "not charity"

On another note, in Canada, religious people still give more even if you don't count churches as charities, which really makes the seculars look like cheapskates.

Well in America (at least) practicing Christians have a reputation for being the cheapest tippers at restaurants. 
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, 05:50:14 PM »

I wonder how all the nuns working as nurses and teachers are supported? Roll Eyes
Catholic hospitals and schools are paid for by users. If somebody wants to give a donation to either, that is a charitable donation. A gift to a church is clearly not in my book, but again, the IRS has not yet come knocking for my opinion and I'm not holding my breath.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2013, 07:16:22 PM »

Well in America (at least) practicing Christians have a reputation for being the cheapest tippers at restaurants. 

Nope, that reputation is held by the blacks. The Jewish have a reputation for being very demanding but generally give a nice tip for good service.  Stereotypes obviously...
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies