within the white vote, how do whites not born in the us vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:18:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  within the white vote, how do whites not born in the us vote?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: within the white vote, how do whites not born in the us vote?  (Read 1202 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 03, 2013, 10:53:57 AM »

are there any exit polls on this?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 12:46:13 PM »

Lean Dem.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 07:10:38 PM »

I've actually known a fair amount of Canadian-Americans over the years. The ones who were originally from Calgary and the inland who moved here for the oil & gas industry tended to be relatively conservative. (I say relatively because some people who would vote Conservative in Canada would still probably vote for a Blue Dog/DLC Democrat over a Republican). The ones from Toronto or Montreal or the eastern part of the country tended to be more liberal.

Some Eastern European immigrants become right-wing Republicans. But if I had to live under Eastern Bloc communism, I might come to hate any and all government in general too. I remember an immigrant businessman who made an ad for Romney last year talking about how he didn't want America to become more like whichever ex-Soviet country he had moved away from.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »

Is it fair to presume that a majority are from former Communist nations? That would be meaningful. Of course, the census also counts plenty of Hispanics as white (self id), so that's meaningful too.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 09:41:11 PM »

Some Eastern European immigrants become right-wing Republicans.

Ahem. Smiley

I've never known an ex-Communist immigrant who voted Democratic. The only one I can think of who's even considered it is family friend, a Tajik (from the actual Tajikistan), who considered voting Democratic in 2010 due to the 'Ground Zero mosque' controversy but ultimately decided against it. (I don't know if you would count Central Asians as 'white', though...)

Now, the children of those immigrants are another matter, as for some reason they are actually quite frequently leftists. (Something similar has been noticed going on with the Cubans, where older generations vote Republican but the younger generations, born in this country, frequently outright lean D). I'm largely going on anecdote here, though, as I don't know where I might seek the numbers. And I'm referring largely to the children of those who immigrated in the '70s (these folks would've been born '70s-'80s) than my own generation. We don't vote Tongue

For immigrants from Canada and the traditional Cold War-era 'Western' bloc, it makes sense to assume a Democratic lean considering those countries political cultures, though I think somebody who would try to get US citizenship would be further to the right than the average person from those countries. But still.

Oh, our very pale Argentinian neighbors vote straight-ticket Democratic, if that's helpful.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 03:00:20 AM »

Some Eastern European immigrants become right-wing Republicans.

Ahem. Smiley

I've never known an ex-Communist immigrant who voted Democratic. The only one I can think of who's even considered it is family friend, a Tajik (from the actual Tajikistan), who considered voting Democratic in 2010 due to the 'Ground Zero mosque' controversy but ultimately decided against it. (I don't know if you would count Central Asians as 'white', though...)

Now, the children of those immigrants are another matter, as for some reason they are actually quite frequently leftists. (Something similar has been noticed going on with the Cubans, where older generations vote Republican but the younger generations, born in this country, frequently outright lean D). I'm largely going on anecdote here, though, as I don't know where I might seek the numbers. And I'm referring largely to the children of those who immigrated in the '70s (these folks would've been born '70s-'80s) than my own generation. We don't vote Tongue

For immigrants from Canada and the traditional Cold War-era 'Western' bloc, it makes sense to assume a Democratic lean considering those countries political cultures, though I think somebody who would try to get US citizenship would be further to the right than the average person from those countries. But still.

Oh, our very pale Argentinian neighbors vote straight-ticket Democratic, if that's helpful.
Is this sample full of Brighton Beach voters? Most ex-Communist immigrants probably came to US during the 90s.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies