A Higgins Trifecta: Smid/RB Collaborative TL
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:51:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  International What-ifs (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Higgins Trifecta: Smid/RB Collaborative TL
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A Higgins Trifecta: Smid/RB Collaborative TL  (Read 1269 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 03, 2013, 08:03:31 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Parliament House, Canberra, 3 August 2008

Dammit! Starting his day with yet another media round of leadership speculation- the umpteenth in recent days- infuriated the Opposition Leader, Brendan Nelson. He'd been elected merely 8 months earlier and already the sharks were swirling around his leadership. Indeed one unnamed Liberal source had compared him to Downer, another Liberal leader who got into trouble early and never got out of it. However Nelson felt that he had one advantage over Downer: there were divisions among his opponents over who a potential replacement would be. He for one took the Turnbull rumours more seriously than the Costello ones. Turnbull had challenged him after Costello had opted out and supposedly announced his retirement. In the party room Turnbull was always the pushy one, Costello having mostly slipped out of the public eye since the government's defeat. Yet Nelson also knew that these rumours were not coming out of nowhere: somehow Costello had to be encouraging or at least yellow-lighting them. He decided to place a few calls with certain colleagues.

As I've said publicly and privately many times, Brendan, I'm behind you and think this leadership speculation is unhealthy. However you must do something about this climate change mess, it's splitting the party and many people I've spoken to are getting quite annoyed. I'll do what I can to help, but the initiative is yours to take.

Malcolm Turnbull's words were sincere- he did want to help, but more for PR purposes than anything. After all, better to say that he tried to save his leader from himself until the last possible moment rather than being called a wrecker.

Did you see the Oz article about Peter?

Yeah, but if you asked me all that means is that his supposedly final decision isn't final. I'm hardly his best friend in the party room- I wouldn't know what he's really leaning towards. To the best of my knowledge not even his closest supporters know. Nothing should be taken for granted either way until he clears this up.

After finishing a brief conversation, Nelson hung up and dialed his deputy, Julie Bishop. He knew there was no point in trying any publicly identified Costellans such as Pyne: if they weren't picking up for journos then they probably weren't talking to anyone.

Julie, did you-

Yes, I saw that article. Like the rest of us I haven't the faintest clue what Peter's doing but you still have my support. Climate change still needs some work, as we both know- but I don't think this justifies anything like the hysteria we've been seeing in the Gallery recently. We should be keeping our eyes out since stories like this don't come out of nowhere, particularly given the people involved...
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 08:07:51 PM »

Excellent so far! I look forward to reading the rest of it.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 09:33:44 PM »

Great job, although the title is wrong - it should be RB/Smid, the idea is yours and you've done the bulk of the work! Note, that article is an except from a real article.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 10:56:38 PM »

Thanks TexDem. I should have a couple of updates tomorrow, perhaps through to the leadership vote itself. More stuff on the government side post-vote- as Gillard said at the time IRL, the ALP is going to be a spectator.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 11:48:09 PM »

Canberra, 29 August 2008

For her part Julie Bishop really did have no clue what Costello had decided, if indeed a decision had been made yet, which she doubted. In any event she was no huge fan of Turnbull but had more than enough of Nelson and hoped that Costello would change his mind and return. She was already on public record as a Costellan but wouldn't undermine her leader: above all she liked the deputy's post and wanted to stay there. Costello was her first choice, Turnbull her second- nor was she the only one who felt that way in the party room. Most of the frontbench shared the view that Nelson had to go, the only question was who would replace him. The Nationals were also worried even if renegade Sen. Barnaby Joyce was the only one to publicly express concerns about Nelson's leadership. Many Liberals felt the crisis was approaching a boiling point and would have to be resolved before year's end. In the meantime she would await further developments, ideally something concrete from either man.

Meanwhile on the Government side, Rudd and his team were sanguine about the Liberal leadership drama. From their point of view it wasn't multiple eruptions but one long one ever since Costello's aborted challenge to John Howard 2 years earlier. Like any political equation there were positives and negatives to each scenario. Turnbull was a relative moderate with whom perhaps a bipartisan agreement could be reached on climate change. Who knew, perhaps in the long run cross-party cooperation if the long-held ALP republican dream- and many of them saw 1999 as a lost battle rather than a lost war- were ever to resume its forward march. Not that such an idea was on the radar in the Government's foreseeable future. While Turnbull could appeal to moderate suburbanites he was also detached from his party's base and despised by many conservatives on ideological grounds. Most importantly of all, he was a weaker leader than Rudd. Costello was by far the Liberals' strongest prospect but in Labor eyes was weighed down by WorkChoices and interest rates. In the meantime they could only taunt and wait. Nor were they waiting for an eruption to begin the taunts. Treasurer Wayne Swan saw to that in QT only a few days later.

"Plan A over here, the leader of the opposition, is just worried about what it will mean for his leadership,"

"Plan B up the back, the member for Higgins, is worried how it will highlight his dreadful record when it comes to 10 interest rate rises in a row.

"Of course, we have Plan C, the member for Wentworth, who is smiling through gritted teeth ... (he) said interest rates were overdramatised."

Another Liberal anxiously awaiting leadership developments was close Costello friend Chris Pyne. Like Bishop he would back Turnbull in the event that Costello did not run, and the scuttlebutt was that Costello's final decision would come very soon- within 10 days to 2 weeks. He felt it would be sooner rather than later, depending on things developed. And like Bishop, he very much suspected what the answer would ultimately be. If Tanya's pushing him to do it, then that's a good sign. Not the ultimate sign, but a very good one nonetheless. A spousal or family veto would completely kill our chances. He decided to call Costello later that day if he hadn't heard from him yet, it had been over a week since they last directly communicated. Among other things he wanted to know whether Tony Abbott's very public barracking was his own initiative or something more than that.

Members' Hall, Suite 305, HOR, 5:21 PM

"After much thought and due consideration, I've come to a decision. In a phrase, back to the future. As I said 4 years ago I'm in for the long haul. Therefore, as of this moment you can consider me an unofficial leadership candidate. You blokes in?" Peter Costello looked across his desk at Chris Pyne and Tony Abbott, two of his top surrogates for the incipient leadership campaign.

"Absolutely. What's our plan?" Pyne was ecstatic at the decision: Finally we'll get the man we need to win government.

"Start making phone calls. Quite a few of Turnbull's people will vote for me- all the dries, plus a sizeable number of disillusioned wets, judging from C&C. That's to say, conversations and common sense. Both of you know who to call- and make sure there's no overlap unless they're exceedingly slippery. Julie will remain deputy, that goes without saying..."
As Pyne and Abbott turned to leave, Costello waved Abbott back in.

"Tony, we're all on the same team now. That's why Malcolm's going to Communications- he knows this, and he knows I'm running. Those reports about him standing aside for me didn't arise out of nowhere. I'm keeping the caucus team and shadow cabinet separate. I want a focused team, unlike the wimpy wastrels over there."

"Wimpy wastrels. I like it!"

"Now hit the phones. See you tomorrow."

Costello still had one final call to make for the day, this one outside Parliament House.

"Glenn,

Peter here. It's a go. 10 tops..."
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 12:37:07 PM »

Great as usual.

Julie Bishop is still Treasury critic at this point, right? I wonder what sort of reshuffle Costello will do if/when he claims the leadership from Nelson. That will be interesting. Smiley

The Western Australian elections went on as they did in RL, right?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 01:21:30 PM »

WA didn't change, I don't think what at this point is still speculation would affect a state result. Bishop is still at Treasury. As for reshuffling: if that happened it would be more names than numbers.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 12:07:16 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Parliament House

Suite 305

2:31 PM

Peter Costello was ecstatic for the first time since the government's defeat. Now things were going smoothly and if his number count was correct, he would be Leader of the Opposition within 24 hours or less. Nonetheless, he still had to hold down his numbers- he had a hard count of 50 supporters to Nelson's 36, but Nelson would fight to the last breath to retain his position. Ideally Nelson would realize his position was hopeless and quit the race, but Costello wasn't counting on that. In the meantime he kept in close contact with his chief canvassers Chris Pyne and Tony Abbott.

"We still at 50?"

"Working on Petro [Georgiou] right now. He's uneasy about immigration as usual but still undecided. Truth be told I don't think we'll get him unless you negotiate on the non-negotiables, but we'll keep trying."

"Don't put much more on him. Find a backbencher or 2, keep on holding those we've got. Then all we do is wait. Keep me informed only if you think my personal intervention is required to keep someone onboard."

"Message received, Peter."

Petro has always overestimated his own worth, at least since thinking himself too good for a parliamentary secretariat when we first came in if not earlier. We must get party discipline back to where it was in the third term. Too many opinions and not nearly enough hits on the Government.

11:21 PM

As Costello was contemplating changes to his Shadow Cabinet- among other things, Pyne would go to Treasury and Turnbull to Communications- the phone rang again.

"Peter, Paul here. I'm inviting you to the Press Club on Friday..."

"Long time no hear. You saying what I think you're saying?"

"Turn on the telly, mate. Suffice it to say you won't be speaking as a private member."
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 05:48:58 PM »

I'm interested to see whether the election of Costello will cause a bump in Lib poll numbers or whether he'll have to deal with the ugly numbers Turnbull had to detail with early in his tenure as well.

(BTW, who is Paul?)
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 11:01:11 PM »

I'm interested to see whether the election of Costello will cause a bump in Lib poll numbers or whether he'll have to deal with the ugly numbers Turnbull had to detail with early in his tenure as well.

(BTW, who is Paul?)
Keating? Though I'd imagine it's a Liberal.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 07:54:55 PM »

Paul Kelly. As for polls... nothing dramatic.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 08:02:25 PM »

Paul Kelly. As for polls... nothing dramatic.
Why would a musician or footballer (or is it someone else?) call Costello?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 08:09:51 PM »

The Oz's editor in chief. Tongue
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 11:09:45 PM »

"This is ABC Breaking News. We can now confirm that very shortly Brendan Nelson will announce his withdrawal from the Liberal leadership contest and resign, allowing Peter Costello to be acclaimed at tomorrow's party meeting. ABC News understands that the two men spoke a short while ago to discuss Mr Nelson's future in the Liberal Party, however for now we can only say that either way Mr Nelson will be going to the backbench. Here's Mr Nelson now."

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen. Over the past 9 months I have been giving this job my all in the hope that the Coalition would learn from its defeat, regain the community's trust and go onto victory in 2010. We may yet do all those things, but I will not be the one leading that effort. Yesterday I said it was necessary for the party to resolve this leadership issue once and for all rather than allowing it to fester and further damage our standing in the community. However since I last spoke to you, I have arrived at the inescapable conclusion that my colleagues would prefer a change in leadership. A short time ago I spoke to Mr Costello, and we agreed that a contested ballot tomorrow morning would only further exacerbate divisions within the partyroom. The Liberal Party has had more than enough of division over this last little while, what we need is unity. Something which unfortunately I was unable to accomplish over my 9 months as leader. In the furtherance of this desire I will not contest tomorrow morning's ballot, thereby enabling the acclamation of Mr Costello. This will be only the third time in Liberal history that a party leader has been acclaimed, and all 3 times the community gave a highly positive response to those displays of unity.

Now I know that many of you are interested in what I will be doing once my leadership formally ends tomorrow morning, but there isn't much to say other than that I will go to the backbench. Nor will I be renominating at the next federal election. Mr Costello deserves his own team and his own platform, which he will get. No more cliques leaking to the media about hypothetical spills and polls. One leader with one unified party behind him. If history records my contribution to the Liberal Party as restoring a measure of stability after a tough defeat, then that is one which I would gladly accept. I'll now open the floor to questions."

"Mr Nelson, while no one here would describe this spill as a surprise given recent events, were you surprised at Mr Costello's decision to challenge?"

"I knew that this sort of question would arise, and my answer to you and everyone else here is simple: I am not divulging details of private conversations between caucus colleagues to the media. This has never been my way and it will not start now..."

"Didn't think he'd fold that quickly, did you?" Pyne was surprised that Nelson had chosen not even to contest the ballot and instead drop out. "I thought he'd fold but tomorrow morning instead of tonight."

Costello smiled wryly, pausing to look out at the skyline. "No, Brendan moved from denial to acceptance. Math doesn't lie and once he accepted the mathematical reality... the rest was easier, if not easy. Giving up one's career is never easy. At any rate we can't mope too much about Brendan. There's work to do- Shadow Cabinet shuffles, policy reviews, strategizing. I'll see you blokes tomorrow morning."

HOR, Canberra, 1 September 2008

Opposition Caucus Room

9:07 AM

"Good morning, everyone. Today our first order of business is the leadership ballot. Before we start, I'd like to ask Dr Nelson to say a few words." Joe Hockey, as Manager of Opposition Business, would be overseeing the formal vote alongside the party whips, and was anxious for a smooth proceeding. He had backed Costello but like everyone else, wanted a united party.

"Thank you Joe for that kind introduction. As I said last night, I will not be contesting this ballot, nor will I accept a position in the new Shadow Cabinet. It has been a long 10 months, indeed a long 3 years. In that period we descended the mountain of victory into the valleys of electoral defeat. I would like to think these past few months have helped rejuvenate and stabilize the party, something which we needed for a victory in 2010. I want to thank everyone for the great honour that you bestowed on me last year: leading this great party of ours, something I will always remember..."

"It has been moved that Peter Costello be elected Leader. Since nominations closed earlier this morning, I hereby declare that Peter Costello has been elected Leader of the Liberal Party and thereby Leader of the Opposition!"

The caucus room erupted into cheers, then heeded Costello's impatient hand wave for them to sit down.

"First of all, I want to say that being elected party leader is a great honor, one which I shall always cherish. You have reposed your trust in me, and I will do my utmost to earn it as your leader. In the immediate term, there will be a reshuffling of the Shadow Cabinet, and those affected have been notified of the changes. In the next couple of weeks there will be a policy review- more on that Monday- and we will start planning our medium-to-long term strategy soon enough as well..."

Costello then left the caucus room with Julie Bishop to front the Gallery pack which had assembled outside- his first press conference as Opposition Leader.

"Good morning all. As I told the party room a few minutes ago, I am deeply honored to be elected Liberal leader and will do my utmost to fullfill the trust bestowed upon me by my colleagues. Trust, economy, values- all these things will be integral to our agenda, which will be rolled out in the coming days and weeks. In that timeframe I expect to be meeting my Liberal colleagues in the states and territories to discuss a coordinated agenda, or as the ALP might put it, a common front, against this Government. Ask away ladies and gentlemen, I'm yours for the next few minutes."

"Mr Costello, have you spoken with Messrs Rudd or Howard yet?"

(Laughs)

"Somehow I guessed this would arise, and the answer is later today."

"Will there be a policy review? Say, on industrial relations?"

"We're going to be looking through our platform in the future. Other than that I've never been one for speculation and won't start now."

"Your new Shadow Cabinet lineup has Malcolm Turnbull in Communications rather than Treasury-"

"Which was by cordial mutual agreement, as disappointing as that will be to the parlor game pedants. All of whom, I might add, are outside this room." (Laughter)

PMO, 9:20 AM

While Peter Costello was holding his first presser as Opposition Leader, Kevin Rudd had convened a strategy session with his kitchen Cabinet: Julia Gillard, Lindsay Tanner and Wayne Swan. It would draw less media scrutiny with all the media attention on their new opponent.

"My thoughts? We go for super, interest, WorkChoices, the Howard record generally." The PM was confident without cocksureness: he knew just how lethal an opponent Costello could be, however in these circumstances he felt the Victorian was too baggage-laden and divisive to topple him in 2010.

Julia Gillard and Wayne Swan largely agreed with Rudd. "I think Kevin's strategy is a great one, and we should stick to it from the minute Costello takes his seat tomorrow. Wayne should stickhandle our attack on him- erat on erat violence" Gillard said, laughing. "Actually, Julia, I had you in mind for the political side of that equation. Leave the economic part to Wayne, that I agree on. We have to keep our present momentum is all."

"And if we don't?" Tanner was skeptical, as he was wont to be at the best of times. "Right now we're in an extended honeymoon period, which comes to an end for everyone. Even Hawke. Then what's our plan?"

"What I just outlined, Lindsay. For now we'll keep on governing and use these various strategems as required. Don't be so bloody pessimistic all the time..."

*The Costello Shadow Cabinet is essentially the same as Turnbull's IRL. Main differences are Pyne at Treasury and Turnbull at BDE. Abbott, while not formally promoted, is now a member of the kitchen cabinet.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 11:43:56 PM »

Great as usual, RB. I hope we get to see more of Lindsay Tanner, btw.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 11:49:50 PM »

Tanner will be around, don't worry.

Next update will be Friday or Saturday. Econocratic one, and that's alll I'm saying for now. Wink
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies