Why did Gore not let Clinton campagin for him Arkansas?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:23:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2000 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Why did Gore not let Clinton campagin for him Arkansas?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why did Gore not let Clinton campagin for him Arkansas?  (Read 2204 times)
Siloch
Rookie
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 04, 2013, 03:14:35 PM »

Arkansas had 6 electoral votes in 2000 which would have won Gore the election without Florida. I'm new to this site so I hope this hasn't been asked before and I have put it in the right location, like the site though!
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 11:57:23 AM »

Bill Clinton was a major political liability in the 2000 election. While his "job" approval rating was high, his personal ratings were meager at best by the time Gore and Bush were running against each other.

George W. Bush ran as the candidate of "change". Gore's campaign saw focus groups that said that Bill Clinton hurt Gore's chances with swing voters.

sg0508
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 01:22:11 PM »

You have to give Gore credit. It became pretty evident from the start that he wanted to distance himself from Clinton (following the Lewinsky scandal) and he did.  That being said, many Americans still liked Clinton and I believe it would have been a big boost to Gore.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 09:53:06 AM »

You have to give Gore credit. It became pretty evident from the start that he wanted to distance himself from Clinton (following the Lewinsky scandal) and he did.  That being said, many Americans still liked Clinton and I believe it would have been a big boost to Gore.

That may have been what he wanted to do politically, but he failed.  I remember all too well his obsequious description of Clinton as one of our best presidents the day the impeachment trial failed.  Granted, Clinton was hardly one of our worst presidents, but his actions brought disrepute to the office and the United States. The impeachment failed because his failings were not high crimes and misdemeanors, not because Clinton was a great man.   It is why I supported Bradley over Gore and why in 2000 my decision over who to vote for in the general election was between Bush and Nader.  I ended up voting for Nader, but if I had lived in a state like Florida, I would have voted for Bush.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies