Rep. Massie introduces repeal of Federal "Gun free" School Zones Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:14:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rep. Massie introduces repeal of Federal "Gun free" School Zones Act
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Rep. Massie introduces repeal of Federal "Gun free" School Zones Act  (Read 5644 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2013, 11:03:59 PM »

I would support this on a state level. I don't see why the Federal government should regulate what is allowed in/around of schools when schools themselves should not be regulated by the Federal government.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2013, 11:07:10 PM »

I can think of no rational person who would make themselves feel safer by putting a big sign out in front of their house that says "I am unarmed. Please do not rob me."

And yet nobody that I'm aware of advertises that they have a gun in their house either. Just asking for a burglary when nobody's home.

They don't need to, there's just the possibility, and why would you go somewhere where there might possibly be a gun when there are signs directing you to where there aren't any?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2013, 11:14:40 PM »

Why didn't someone tell Adam Lanza that the Sandy Hook Elementary School was a gun free zone?

If you're so passionate on the issue, perhaps you can look into becoming a spokesperson for no guns in schools.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2013, 11:21:13 PM »

I would support this on a state level. I don't see why the Federal government should regulate what is allowed in/around of schools when schools themselves should not be regulated by the Federal government.

You would support the GFSZA on a state level or its repeal?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 11:23:29 PM »

Why didn't someone tell Adam Lanza that the Sandy Hook Elementary School was a gun free zone?

He clearly found out from somewhere -- not sure he would've gone in otherwise.

Really...

Why don´t you just say that the occassional massacre of school children is a price you´re willing to pay, for your gun fetishism. I´m not going to think worse of you, in fact I would find the argument a lot more honest.

So ad hominems are easier than actually responding to the substance of the argument?

What argument?

That "gun-free zones" obviously have little effect at preventing those who wish to inflict harm from bringing guns (and in fact encourages them, since they are almost certain not to encounter resistance.)
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2013, 12:08:36 AM »

I don't think a deranged person taking a gun into a school to start shooting people is deterred by the possibility that some vigilante math teacher has a gun too.
Maybe not, but the odds of said vigilante math teacher's entire class being shot up when the deranged person comes in change dramatically.

My point is that when the teacher pulls out his gun and turns it into a firefight, the class's safety is doubly in jeopardy. But to agree with me I think you'd first have to accept the premise that the first shooter is not deterred by the threat of armed employees inside the school.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2013, 12:18:51 AM »

I don't think a deranged person taking a gun into a school to start shooting people is deterred by the possibility that some vigilante math teacher has a gun too.
Maybe not, but the odds of said vigilante math teacher's entire class being shot up when the deranged person comes in change dramatically.

My point is that when the teacher pulls out his gun and turns it into a firefight, the class's safety is doubly in jeopardy. But to agree with me I think you'd first have to accept the premise that the first shooter is not deterred by the threat of armed employees inside the school.

So I take it you oppose compulsory attendance laws, given that you seem to think that the only thing preventing a teacher from shooting children is her legal prohibition on bringing a weapon?

On a less tangential note, suppose a teacher did want to shoot up her classroom. Given that she would either take her own life or be charged with serial murder immediately after such an action, do you really think that the fact that the school is a "gun-free zone" is going to prevent her from bringing a gun and shooting her students?
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2013, 12:39:23 AM »
« Edited: January 05, 2013, 12:42:28 AM by badgate »

So I take it you oppose compulsory attendance laws, given that you seem to think that the only thing preventing a teacher from shooting children is her legal prohibition on bringing a weapon?

What are you talking about? lol
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2013, 12:52:28 AM »

Do the people mocking this idea believe that no one should be able to carry a gun onto school grounds? 
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2013, 01:00:17 AM »

Do the people mocking this idea believe that no one should be able to carry a gun onto school grounds? 

Yes. Absolutely.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2013, 01:07:53 AM »
« Edited: January 05, 2013, 01:09:55 AM by King »

Does this law apply to law enforcement?  If so, then yes it's stupid and should be amended.  If not, then this law is necessary for the simple fact that without it, school police would not have the legal ability to stop and question someone walking into a school building with a visible firearm because there is no law against it as carry a legal firearm would no longer constitute as suspicion under the law until they start shooting.

When I see gun-free, smoke-free, or phone-free zones, I don't think it means I can carry a gun, smoke, or phone in and no one else what have one, but instead think that I should worry about getting caught with one by whoever enforces the law.  If whoever enforces these laws carries a gun, then it is not lax one bit.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2013, 01:13:02 AM »

You apparently think that forbidding a teacher from carrying a gun is the only thing preventing her from shooting children. With that information in mind, why would you trust children to spend several hours a day with someone you believe to be a sociopath?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2013, 01:17:09 AM »

...this law is necessary for the simple fact that without it, school police would not have the legal ability to stop and question someone walking into a school building with a visible firearm because there is no law against it as carry a legal firearm would no longer constitute as suspicion under the law until they start shooting.

This assumes that carrying a firearm should constitute reason for suspicion under the law. If so, then why should schools be any different from any other location?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2013, 01:30:06 AM »

You would support the GFSZA on a state level or its repeal?
I would support the GFSZA on a state level.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2013, 01:31:31 AM »

Yeah guys, the threat of people shooting back would have totally dissuaded this crazy person who had so little regard for his own life that he committed suicide. Good argument libertarians. You've convinced me. Arm the kindergartens with semi-automatics.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2013, 01:36:29 AM »

You apparently think that forbidding a teacher from carrying a gun is the only thing preventing her from shooting children. With that information in mind, why would you trust children to spend several hours a day with someone you believe to be a sociopath?

That's not at all what I was saying. I went back and read my posts and I think you just misread them somehow. Maybe re-read my posts. Smiley What I was saying is basically in line with what Lief just said.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2013, 01:39:40 AM »

Yeah guys, the threat of people shooting back would have totally dissuaded this crazy person who had so little regard for his own life that he committed suicide. Good argument libertarians. You've convinced me. Arm the kindergartens with semi-automatics.

Because clearly the "gun-free zone" totally dissuaded this crazy person who had so little regard for his own life that he committed suicide. Roll Eyes
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2013, 01:51:03 AM »

Because clearly the "gun-free zone" totally dissuaded this crazy person who had so little regard for his own life that he committed suicide. Roll Eyes

Clearly the fact that prohibitions have failed to stop every single shooting means that we should just get rid of the prohibitions entirely. We should also repeal all other laws that are ever broken.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2013, 01:58:08 AM »

Clearly the fact that prohibitions have failed to stop every single shooting means that we should just get rid of the prohibitions entirely. We should also repeal all other laws that are ever broken.

People will be safer drivers without speed limits.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2013, 01:59:37 AM »

Clearly the fact that prohibitions have failed to stop every single shooting means that we should just get rid of the prohibitions entirely.

Considering that every mass shooting except one in recent times has occurred in a gun-free zone, clearly the prohibition has being counterproductive.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And how exactly does anyone benefit from a gun-free zone? Nonviolent citizens have no means of defending themselves (and even if you say that they would have little chance against a serial killer or would not deter them, you cannot deny that slim is preferable to zero), and serial killers are not preventing from bringing weapons.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2013, 02:00:32 AM »

Now that you mention it...
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2013, 02:03:46 AM »

You have obviously never driven in Texas...
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2013, 02:14:36 AM »

You have obviously never driven in Texas...

False, and I felt no less safe on the 80 mph roads then I do in my native 65 mph roads. Traffic goes the same speed regardless of the posted sign.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2013, 04:28:56 AM »

...this law is necessary for the simple fact that without it, school police would not have the legal ability to stop and question someone walking into a school building with a visible firearm because there is no law against it as carry a legal firearm would no longer constitute as suspicion under the law until they start shooting.

This assumes that carrying a firearm should constitute reason for suspicion under the law. If so, then why should schools be any different from any other location?

Because it's a publicly owned building?  Are you perfectly okay with anyone being allowed to enter a school, prison, courthouse, or the White House with a firearm and security not having any rights to question them on it or deem it suspicious under the law?

If so, SPC, I must say--you're a true idiot, though a well-intending one, who knows the words of freedom but not the music.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2013, 05:19:03 AM »

works here Wink
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies