Why can I not vote for President six times?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:56:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Why can I not vote for President six times?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why can I not vote for President six times?  (Read 788 times)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 04, 2013, 08:14:32 PM »

Well, the title may have been a bit deceiving...I know why I cannot vote six times.

However, as a resident of Mississippi when I vote for President I am actually voting for a slate of six electors.

Would there be any bar to a State allowing its citizens to vote for each elector separately?  So I would be voting in six elections to select my states six electors to the Electoral College?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 10:03:55 PM »

There is absolutely no bar to a State letting you directly vote for which six Electors you wish to have represent you.  Indeed, it has been done in the past.  The flaw (or feature) of doing that was that it was possible in a close election for a State's electoral slate to end up divided.  The most recent case where a divide occurred was in Alabama in the 1960 Democratic primary.  Others I recall happening are Califonia in 1912 where 11 Roosevelt and 2 Wilson electors were chosen, and New Jersey in 1860 which had a strange result. In New Jersey, the Douglas, Breckenridge, and Bell campaigns attempted a fusion ticket, with three Douglas electors and four electors from the Bell and Breckenridge camps (not certain how they were split).  Anyway, the three Douglas electors ended up getting the most votes, but four of the seven Lincoln electors got seats four thru seven, with the Bell and Breckenridge electors left behind.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 04:05:45 PM »

There is absolutely no bar to a State letting you directly vote for which six Electors you wish to have represent you.  Indeed, it has been done in the past.  The flaw (or feature) of doing that was that it was possible in a close election for a State's electoral slate to end up divided.  The most recent case where a divide occurred was in Alabama in the 1960 Democratic primary.  Others I recall happening are Califonia in 1912 where 11 Roosevelt and 2 Wilson electors were chosen, and New Jersey in 1860 which had a strange result. In New Jersey, the Douglas, Breckenridge, and Bell campaigns attempted a fusion ticket, with three Douglas electors and four electors from the Bell and Breckenridge camps (not certain how they were split).  Anyway, the three Douglas electors ended up getting the most votes, but four of the seven Lincoln electors got seats four thru seven, with the Bell and Breckenridge electors left behind.

Interesting...this site lists Douglas as the winner (but Lincoln got more EV) and 0 votes for Breckenridge and Bell.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 05:14:27 PM »

Interesting...this site lists Douglas as the winner (but Lincoln got more EV) and 0 votes for Breckenridge and Bell.

That's because an elector on the fusion ticket got the most votes and the electors who won on the fusion ticket were all Douglas electors, so at first glance it looks like the results Dave has.  The vote results for states that had direct election of individual electors for the most part only give the votes for the elector who got the most votes on the ticket as being the votes received by the candidate.  It's a useful simplification since there usually was not a significant amount of ticket splitting.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 02:58:39 PM »

Well, the title may have been a bit deceiving...I know why I cannot vote six times.

However, as a resident of Mississippi when I vote for President I am actually voting for a slate of six electors.

Would there be any bar to a State allowing its citizens to vote for each elector separately?  So I would be voting in six elections to select my states six electors to the Electoral College?

States can select their electors as they please. As is, it's usually winner-take-all, but they are perfectly allowed to use this format as well.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies