Which show is funnier?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:11:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Which show is funnier?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Huh
Family Guy

King of the Hill

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Which show is funnier?  (Read 2296 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 06, 2013, 12:41:16 AM »

Bgwah and I are discussing this.  I think FG is much funnier than KotH, which I just don't think is that funny.  He believes my family is "weirder than he thought" because I can't identify with the characters on KotH.

But I can identify more with the Griffins.. even if their idiosyncrasies are maxed out to eleven.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 12:42:32 AM »

and I realized this should probably be in Off Topic.  Oh well.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 12:43:23 AM »

I enjoy both shows. Snowguy thinks King of the Hill is terrible and unfunny, and I think he's crazy for it.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 12:43:38 AM »

I like KotH better overall, but I never thought it was meant to be funny.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 12:47:09 AM »

KotH wore thin on me very very quickly... I prefer FG and I do think it's funnier.

Hmmm... I don't recall it being an animated drama.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 12:56:47 AM »

KotH wore thin on me very very quickly... I prefer FG and I do think it's funnier.

What? I'm a huge fan of the show and it never struck me as particularly funny.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 01:05:29 AM »

Bgwah insists that I tell you that we were discussing whether KotH was funny or not, and not whether it was funnier than Family Guy.. despite Bgwah saying that KotH was the funniest out of, as I put it, the MacFarlan/Simpsons/KotH trio.

Since I believe Family Guy is the funniest of those and KotH and The Cleveland Show vying for the bottom... I made the poll as such.

But he believes I am being dishonest and BRTDesque in my poll making.

We report.  You decide.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 01:06:53 AM »

What? I'm a huge fan of the show and it never struck me as particularly funny.
lol... you're like the Minnesotans that didn't think Fargo was funny at all and just got pissed at it. 
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 03:17:41 AM »

Both are great, but King of the Hill never got as bad as Family Guy has at points, so KotH. That, and King of the Hill has stuck with me more.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 04:17:36 AM »

King of the Hill was usually good and often great and Family Guy has been almost consistently terrible.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 04:18:41 AM »

Nathan is very correct.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 06:25:27 AM »

Well, KotH is certainly more consistent than FG, I just happen to think KotH is consistently mediocre.

I never found KotH terribly engaging, altogether funny or that smart...
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 07:18:38 AM »

Don't know the latter, but it can't be worse than FG.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 09:32:11 AM »

That's a tough one. I love both shows, but I voted for King of the Hill. I think it's one of the most underrated shows and I was very disappointed to see it go off the air. KOTH was pretty much a sitcom that happened to be animated. The earliest seasons were, without a doubt, the best.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 09:44:23 AM »

Neither
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 09:56:19 AM »

King of the Hill is probably more funny because it's clever.  Family Guy is way out there.  They're both masterful creations, but King of the Hill has more staying power.  It also translates better.  I've seen it in Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, and other countries while on vacation as "Los Reyes."  I've also watch Family Guy and American Dad in spanish-speaking countries.  Much gets lost in the translation, and I'm sure that a non-gringo, even an English-speaking one watching it in English, can't really appreciate all the subtle jokes in any of those shows, but Los Reyes captured most of the subtle humor.  (Those really droll ones with Peggy trying to teach Spanish don't come off very well, but other than that it works well enough.)  In the late 90s there used to be many KOTH fansites on the internet before FOX started suing folks for copyright infringement.  Boomhauer's soliloquy's had been translated into all sorts of languages, and from what I can tell they managed to work it out.  (I'm not exactly sure how you translate "Itellyawhatman, you talkin' bout dang ol' snackered, man, we gonna get dang ol' three sheets to the wind man" into Swedish, but there it was.)  Family Guy has too many non-sequitor cultural allusions to be very funny except in a slapstick sort of way, even among Americans who speak English as their native language.  It's also incredibly violent.  The violence is rather like a crutch for them, as they depend upon shock value and blood in order to fill in the less interesting gaps.  I had become very desensitized to it after watching for so many years, and one day my wife comes in and exclaims "I can't believe you're letting him watch that!" as my son and I were enjoying the episode in which Stewie is beating Brian senseless over an unrepaid loan.  I paused and stared at it and thought, wow, there's a little baby with a broken bottle cutting a dog with it, and I've convinced myself that this is funny.  Sick, sad world.

Also, I agree totally with politicallefty.  The first few seasons were very good, and they have explored most of what they could with any originality.  It is something of a holdover from the 90s formula.  It's exactly like Seinfeld, really.  You have one protagonist who is smarter than everyone around him, but not particularly arrogant about it.  Just extremely frustrated, and much of the comedy is based on his frustration with the idiots who surround him.  Add to that three friends, one of whom is a sort of weirdly savant, and another of whom cannot be trusted under any circumstances, and you have that Seinfeld/KOTH 90s formula.  Seinfeld had the decency to call it quits after they ran out of possible new material.  I guess with a cartoon you can do more, but at some point it's best to call it quits while you're ahead.  I've been saying this about The Simpson's for years. 

I can't say I watch any of them regularly anymore, but I think I probably watched King of the Hill longer before the enthusiasm went away than was the case with Family Guy.  Still, I'd say that The Simpson's was even better than King of the Hill in that regard.  They all have outlived their usefulness at this point. 
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 10:00:57 AM »

Family Guy, as I am part of the demographic of teenagers with the sense of humour of an 8 year old.
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 10:19:07 AM »

even at its worst (when Tom Petty became a guest regular), KoTH is consistently better than Family Guy. I Love the former, and just enjoy watching the latter every now and then. The first few seasons of Family Guy were actually promising, and while there are a few later-series gems like the Star Wars episodes, I just don't really find it all that enjoyable anymore....American Dad surely is the superior McFarlane creation.

King of The Hill at its peak was HILARIOUS, complimented nicely by the fact that as a Texan, there are so much subtleties within it that I can appreciate.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 10:26:31 AM »

Family Guy is basically the funniest TV show ever made.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 10:40:33 AM »

Family Guy is basically the funniest TV show ever made.

Looks like I know someone who is going on my ignore list.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 11:40:19 AM »

even at its worst (when Tom Petty became a guest regular),

worst was when they tried to make Boomhauer something of a sex symbol during the third season.  Oddly, the same thing happened to the same sort of character on Seinfeld in its third season.  Kramer was beginning to be portrayed as a sex symbol then.  It did not work well and the producers made a very quick correction.  The correction took a little longer with KOTH.

King of The Hill at its peak was HILARIOUS, complimented nicely by the fact that as a Texan, there are so much subtleties within it that I can appreciate.

True, there are some subtles that only those who have lived in the Lone Star State can appreciate.  The hurricane episode, for example, when Hank is naked and must choose between a cactus, which barely covers his privates, and a Texas flag, which would have been a much better choice for coverage.  Hank chooses the cactus.  

Still, most folks can get most of the humor.  Even when it goes into other languages.  I remember I was living in Boston when the show came out, and I remember on one of the fansites that there was a sort of Homesick Southwesterner in Boston posting.  That was before Fox started its fansite legal harassment.  Anyway, this guy would often talk about what he didn't like about New England and what he missed about New Spain, so to speak.  Once he posted about how much he appreciated the show because it featured folks wearing cowboy boots, and he said, "Here, if you see a guy in cowboy boots, you know he's gay."  And I thought about how true it was.  Don't know if it's still that way, but in the 90s if you saw a guy on the subway with boots and hat, you just knew he was on his way to a gay bar.  

But planting them in the Hill Country of central Texas is just a conceit.  A central conceit, even, and the show would be just as funny if it had been placed in New York or Mississippi.  You'd have to do some things differently, but most of the humor translates.  

I think everyone's Dad has a little of Hank in him, just like everyone's Dad is a bit like Stan Smith, and a bit like Peter Griffin, and a bit like the Earl of Grantham, for that matter.  So you don't need to live in the Lone Star State to appreciate most of the jokes, although certainly there are a few subtle ones that go over the heads of most of the non-Texan audience.  
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 12:01:07 PM »

KotH was the better show...by a long shot, but FG has more laughs per minute.  And since the survey is about funnier, FG gets my vote.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2013, 12:54:48 PM »

Family Guy was great before the first cancellation. Today, KotH.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2013, 01:09:34 PM »

King of the Hill is the only correct answer.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2013, 01:41:47 PM »

I've never seen either, but from what I know, Family Guy is more stupid than funny, so maybe King of the Hill.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies