Opinion of Gentrification
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:23:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Gentrification
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: ?
Support

Oppose

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: Opinion of Gentrification  (Read 3526 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 06, 2013, 12:43:27 AM »

Just watched a movie about gentrification in San Francisco and I had to ask.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 07:40:28 AM »

Ask a specific question and you can get a meaningful answer, then.

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 12:05:28 PM »

Do you think it is a good thing or not? I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand it makes urban neighborhoods a more desirable place to live and play in but it does end up displacing those who lived there before. Still, should the people who want to move to the city not move there? Many move there because their jobs are closeby...should they really commute in from the suburbs so they don't displace poor people?
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 12:52:50 PM »

Where's the neutral option?
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 12:55:45 PM »

Gentrification ruins neighborhoods and shuts out the poor.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 01:47:35 PM »

Generally negative but it's a very complicated issue that just "positive" or "negative" don't really fit.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 02:41:22 PM »

Generally negative but it's a very complicated issue that just "positive" or "negative" don't really fit.

Yeah, should have included that neutral option. That seems to be the right answer here. Obviously the plight of the people who have lived in these neighborhoods should be taken into account, but people should be free to move wherever they want. Especially if it is done for convenience, such as living close to work, I don't see how one can criticize it. Of course those who work in Silicon Valley, but commute by train from SF everyday are a group that could be criticized.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 03:07:17 PM »

A whole hell of a lot better than any of the alternatives that actually exist.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 09:20:47 PM »

We gay boys have a niche doing it. It's bread on our table. Smiley
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 12:20:05 PM »

If current trends and rates of Gentrifications (in Washington, D.C. about 12 blocks are "flipped" a year, for example) then the United States could very well find itself in 30-50 years with patterns of urban development completely opposite to what it is today.  As land values increase in the city, then the urban poor may be displaced to where land is cheap and the cost of living low:  today's outer suburbs, especially if energy prices continue to rise and commuting is no longer seen as economically viable.   
Northeast Rep Snowball
hiboby1998
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 12:48:25 PM »

If current trends and rates of Gentrifications (in Washington, D.C. about 12 blocks are "flipped" a year, for example) then the United States could very well find itself in 30-50 years with patterns of urban development completely opposite to what it is today.  As land values increase in the city, then the urban poor may be displaced to where land is cheap and the cost of living low:  today's outer suburbs, especially if energy prices continue to rise and commuting is no longer seen as economically viable.   

Because housing is easily bought these days by poor, who are just clamoring to get the those houses. The housing market is booming by the way.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 12:49:15 PM »

It depends what you mean by gentrification and even then it depends a little on the circumstances, but, basically it's a bad thing. It also tends to lead (and quite inevitably) to the creation of banlieues (there isn't a good word for this in English), which is something that middle class people have a strange tendency to forget.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 02:52:20 PM »

It depends what you mean by gentrification and even then it depends a little on the circumstances, but, basically it's a bad thing. It also tends to lead (and quite inevitably) to the creation of banlieues (there isn't a good word for this in English), which is something that middle class people have a strange tendency to forget.

We do need a word for banlieue in English. I can't think of anything that comes close. But there are plenty of places in the US that fit that label already. Here in the DC area (mostly on the MD side) especially.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 04:20:41 PM »

The alternative to gentrification is bankrupt city governments which are unable to maintain their infrastructure, educate or even keep safe their citizenry, and it is also a continued acceleration of soul- and climate-destroying suburban sprawl.  I recognize that gentrification can be disruptive to incumbent renters, but even for them it is often better than the alternative.  A poor black person who is priced out of Bed-Stuy and has to go live in further-away Canarsie is still able to access the myriad social services that NYC is able to provide because it is in good shape (in large part because gentrification has boosted the area's economy and the city's tax base).  A poor black person in Detroit is SOL.

Gentrification is, and I am not exaggerating, quite possibly the single best development of the past 20 years.  It is doing its level best to save America.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 04:29:16 PM »

A physical manifestation of oppression, which I suppose goes without saying.

I did enjoy learning about banlieues though.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banlieue
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 06:12:30 PM »

Why are "slums" more desirable in the inner city, than in an outside ring ala Paris? In all events, it would seem to me to be good social policy ceteris paribus for the lower SES types to have housing near where they work.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 08:11:38 PM »

Why are "slums" more desirable in the inner city, than in an outside ring ala Paris? In all events, it would seem to me to be good social policy ceteris paribus for the lower SES types to have housing near where they work.

Well, it's good social policy for everybody to have housing near where they work, for myriad reasons.  To the extent that it forces lower SES types to have longer commutes, that's really the one thing about gentrification that I would consider to be a likely negative.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 08:18:58 PM »
« Edited: January 07, 2013, 08:20:58 PM by Torie »

Well, it's good social policy for everybody to have housing near where they work, for myriad reasons.  To the extent that it forces lower SES types to have longer commutes, that's really the one thing about gentrification that I would consider to be a likely negative.

Indeed. But the jobs are not so much in the inner city anymore for the poors. And I do have an aesthetic preference for diversity in neighborhoods, both as to ethnicity, class, and yes belief - provided that they are safe.  This segregation by belief that is getting even more salient now than ethnicity, and yes, even class, and I don't think that is healthy for the polity. Folks tend to  live in their own self reinforcing bubbles.  Breaking out of the bubble requires not only honest intellectualism, but also emotional connections. I have come to appreciate more the importance of the emotional factor from my own now rather long in the tooth life experiences.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 08:24:45 PM »

It depends on what degree it's happening in a city. For instance, in Cleveland only a tiny handful of neighborhoods are gentrified to a large extent and there is no shortage of affordable housing available (if fact the opposite is the main problem...). Cleveland could use a whole lot more gentrification because close to half of the city is abandoned.

I could also see if being a problem in heavily gentrified cities in that rent becomes too high.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 12:15:13 AM »

I don't understand why people get their knickers in a knot about gentrification by itself.  Gentrification is the market working, it's not possible to stop.  If people are willing to pay more money to buy a house or rent in a neighborhood, how or why stop them?  We're not going to have some utopia where everyone can afford to live wherever they want. 

The debate we should have is about housing codes, zoning, economic opportunity and the environment.  People should realize that the current geography of bad/good neighborhoods is largely the product of failed government policy.  For years government has actively subsidized the suburbs, leading to an inefficient use of urban space and undervalued neighborhoods like those in North, central and South Brooklyn.  The goal ought to be, every neighborhood is livable, with a mix of uses and space for different kinds of people, not the status quo for every particular neighborhood.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 06:37:46 AM »

Slums on the outskirts are far more invisible, far more easy to ignore, far more isolated as no one who doesn't live there will ever travel through. (Of course, Americans managed to create banlieues in the middle of cities to an extent, but then Americans are ... special. In the bad way.)

Anyways, we usually use the term "gentrification" mostly for the final phase, when a vibrant mix of urban working class and "creative", bobo types like what I grew up in is destroyed as the last of the working class and the poorer of the original gentrifying bobos are being driven out and the place gets dready posh with bars catering exclusively to yuppies replacing the pizzeria I used to go to as a kid and the drinking holes of my wayward youth. Bornheim I fear for you. There's a little too much council housing to drive out all the working class, admittedly.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 09:23:05 AM »

There's a little too much council housing to drive out all the working class, admittedly.

So, basically, for Bornheim read Islington.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 10:36:27 AM »

We could use a LOT more of it here. Plenty of gritty neighborhoods with "character" for the taking guys. At rock bottom prices too. Come live where Elvis lived.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2013, 12:11:41 PM »

I don't understand why people get their knickers in a knot about gentrification by itself.  Gentrification is the market working, it's not possible to stop.  If people are willing to pay more money to buy a house or rent in a neighborhood, how or why stop them?  We're not going to have some utopia where everyone can afford to live wherever they want. 

The debate we should have is about housing codes, zoning, economic opportunity and the environment.  People should realize that the current geography of bad/good neighborhoods is largely the product of failed government policy.  For years government has actively subsidized the suburbs, leading to an inefficient use of urban space and undervalued neighborhoods like those in North, central and South Brooklyn.  The goal ought to be, every neighborhood is livable, with a mix of uses and space for different kinds of people, not the status quo for every particular neighborhood.

Agreed 1,000%.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2013, 12:45:11 PM »

In Russia gentrification is pretty much being done over dead bodies.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies