Amendments to crimp the House of Representatives' power
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:26:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Amendments to crimp the House of Representatives' power
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Amendments to crimp the House of Representatives' power  (Read 4117 times)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 06, 2013, 01:32:27 PM »

We absolutely have to reduce the almost unitary power that the House of Representatives has. They think it's their birthright to control everything, and they need to be slapped down.

I think there should be an amendment so the presidential election can't be thrown into the House. If no candidate gets a majority in the Electoral College, then whoever wins the popular vote should be the winner. It makes sense. If the House is the people's house, then we should just skip their partisanship and let the people's choice prevail.

I understand why budgeting bills are supposed to originate in the House, but the House has proven they're too irresponsible to have this power. So I think this should be changed also.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 02:50:21 PM »

We absolutely have to reduce the almost unitary power that the House of Representatives has. They think it's their birthright to control everything, and they need to be slapped down.
"Boo hoo. The rival party which is filled with assholes takes over so now I want to change the Constitution so my party can benefit." I admit the GOP majority in the House has not been very constructive, but your thoughts on this issue are just the out of hackishness.

I think there should be an amendment so the presidential election can't be thrown into the House. If no candidate gets a majority in the Electoral College, then whoever wins the popular vote should be the winner. It makes sense. If the House is the people's house, then we should just skip their partisanship and let the people's choice prevail.
Why not scrap the electoral college in general then?
I understand why budgeting bills are supposed to originate in the House, but the House has proven they're too irresponsible to have this power. So I think this should be changed also.
Once again, you’re only saying this due to this one Congress of assholes. It's been fine for the last 200 years.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 03:34:16 PM »

So what your saying is, the House closest to the people need to be stripped of their powers. How progressive of you.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 03:36:50 PM »

So what your saying is, the House closest to the people need to be stripped of their powers.

How close to the people is it? It's nothing but a gerrymandered rogue legislature.

The Senate is closer to the people than the House is.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 04:25:56 PM »

I agree with the gerrymandered rogue part.  What is really needed is laws against gerrymandering.

The House (this House or any other) is not likely to pass an amendment to reduce their power.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 04:29:04 PM »

Also, I find it hilarious that people got mad at me for weakening the house that's supposedly closest to the people. In reality, one of my amendment ideas actually replaces this power with the direct popular vote - which IS the people!
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 07:26:19 PM »

Imo it's the Senate which is the problem, not the House. At least it wouldn't be if it were elected by PR and not so ridiculously gerrymandered.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 07:29:43 PM »

I agree with the gerrymandered rogue part.  What is really needed is laws against gerrymandering.

The House (this House or any other) is not likely to pass an amendment to reduce their power.

Indeed, the Senate approved sending the 17th Amendment (direct election of Senators) to the States only because if they hadn't, there was likely going to be a Second Constitutional Convention called. (Those seeking a convention to propose such an amendment were only a couple of States short when the Amendment finally passed the Senate.)

However.  If either House needs its power crimped, it is the Senate.  The House could possibly use some reforms to take districting out of the hands of the States, preferably via some form of proportional representation.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 07:30:09 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2013, 07:33:23 PM by Marokai Béliqueux »

Imo it's the Senate which is the problem, not the House. At least it wouldn't be if it were elected by PR and not so ridiculously gerrymandered.

^^^^

Abolish the Senate, independently draw all House districts, implement an STV system. Done.

Edit: Expanding the size of the House would also be a plus, but is optional.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 10:20:15 PM »

Bandit, the House of Representatives is indeed a gerrymandered rogue legislature, but it's gerrymandered through historical accident, whereas the Senate deliberately provides unequal representation by its very nature.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 10:22:35 PM »

Bandit, the House of Representatives is indeed a gerrymandered rogue legislature, but it's gerrymandered through historical accident, whereas the Senate deliberately provides unequal representation by its very nature.

But the Senate has staggered terms, which lessens the power of right-wing demagogues.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 01:22:17 AM »

I agree with the gerrymandered rogue part.  What is really needed is laws against gerrymandering. popular representation.

Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 12:03:29 PM »

The Senate is our only hope. 
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 05:48:01 PM »

But the Senate has staggered terms, which lessens the power of right-wing demagogues.

You do realize who originally crafted the Senate and why, right? If only they'd succeeded.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 10:43:22 PM »

It's doing that now, but the situation could easily be reversed. In 1980-1986, the Republicans held the Senate and the Democrats the House. Would you have wanted more power for the Senate then?
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 10:32:40 AM »

However.  If either House needs its power crimped, it is the Senate.  The House could possibly use some reforms to take districting out of the hands of the States, preferably via some form of proportional representation.

Those are my thoughts as well, despite the current political reality. At the very bare minimum, redistricting reform is absolutely necessary. The fact that gerrymandering is allowed is a mockery of democracy. I wouldn't mind PR as well, but a lot would depend on how such a system would be set up.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 01:00:07 PM »

People are seriously responding to Bandit?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 11:21:39 PM »

Ahh, now we've gotten to the issue that was at the heart of Bandit's original argument...
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 05:55:22 AM »

If the Senate were controlled by the GOP right now, as opposed to the Democratic House, Bandit would scream about crimping power of the Senate.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 02:55:06 PM »

If the Senate were controlled by the GOP right now, as opposed to the Democratic House, Bandit would scream about crimping power of the Senate.

Exactly.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 03:07:54 PM »

The debt ceiling garbage is a perfect example of how out of control the House is.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2013, 09:58:25 PM »

STOP WITH THIS PR NONSENSE THIS IS NOT EUROPE AND I AM NOT GOING TO GO VOTE FOR SOME STUPID ELECTORAL LIST OR GIVE SOME NONENTITY A PERFERENCE NO PR NO PR NO PR FPTP 4 LYFE.

Seriously, PR wouldn't change anything. We live in a two party system. Deal with it. For all this talk about "social engineering" you people seem to be trying to stuff extra parties- and the ones we have are uniformly terrible- down our throats.

Also, Bandit's proposals do nigh anything to fix the problem. When was the last time the election was thrown to the house? Have nonpartisan proportioning, abolish the filibuster, and go home.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 02:28:37 AM »

Seriously, PR wouldn't change anything. We live in a two party system. Deal with it. For all this talk about "social engineering" you people seem to be trying to stuff extra parties- and the ones we have are uniformly terrible- down our throats.

For a proud capitalist like you, I'm surprised you don't seem to believe that adding competition increases the quality of supply.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2013, 02:31:28 AM »

Better yet, scrap the electoral college.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2013, 02:32:45 AM »

Eh, they still got 77 votes for the Iraq war, so I wouldn't count too much on them doing the right thing.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies