Amendments to crimp the House of Representatives' power (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:42:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Amendments to crimp the House of Representatives' power (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Amendments to crimp the House of Representatives' power  (Read 4138 times)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« on: January 06, 2013, 01:32:27 PM »

We absolutely have to reduce the almost unitary power that the House of Representatives has. They think it's their birthright to control everything, and they need to be slapped down.

I think there should be an amendment so the presidential election can't be thrown into the House. If no candidate gets a majority in the Electoral College, then whoever wins the popular vote should be the winner. It makes sense. If the House is the people's house, then we should just skip their partisanship and let the people's choice prevail.

I understand why budgeting bills are supposed to originate in the House, but the House has proven they're too irresponsible to have this power. So I think this should be changed also.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 03:36:50 PM »

So what your saying is, the House closest to the people need to be stripped of their powers.

How close to the people is it? It's nothing but a gerrymandered rogue legislature.

The Senate is closer to the people than the House is.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 04:29:04 PM »

Also, I find it hilarious that people got mad at me for weakening the house that's supposedly closest to the people. In reality, one of my amendment ideas actually replaces this power with the direct popular vote - which IS the people!
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 10:22:35 PM »

Bandit, the House of Representatives is indeed a gerrymandered rogue legislature, but it's gerrymandered through historical accident, whereas the Senate deliberately provides unequal representation by its very nature.

But the Senate has staggered terms, which lessens the power of right-wing demagogues.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 03:07:54 PM »

The debt ceiling garbage is a perfect example of how out of control the House is.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 12:58:05 AM »

The bench is really too weak to justify term limits. In too many districts, we'd just end up with someone worse.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies