When will there be another evangelical Democratic candidate for President again?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:36:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  When will there be another evangelical Democratic candidate for President again?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: When will there be another evangelical Democratic candidate for President again?  (Read 3181 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 06, 2013, 11:27:55 PM »

Obviously the last one was Jimmy Carter. Will we have another one before even say 2032?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 11:30:27 PM »

Bill Clinton doesn't count?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 11:48:04 PM »

Are all Southern Baptists evangelicals? 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 11:55:56 PM »

Whoa, Bill Clinton is a Southern Baptist? I assumed he was a Methodist, like Hillary.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 11:58:24 PM »

Whoa, Bill Clinton is a Southern Baptist? I assumed he was a Methodist, like Hillary.

He was born and raised in the South -and the South is for the most part Baptist country.  Unless he changed his faith, that is...   
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 08:13:18 AM »

Wikipedia says he's a Baptist.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 11:53:43 AM »

Would Barack Obama's membership in the Churches of Christ (United) not make him an Evangelical?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 12:10:18 PM »

Would Barack Obama's membership in the Churches of Christ (United) not make him an Evangelical?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Church_of_Christ

Definitely mainline.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 12:23:40 PM »

He actually left that religion. He's now an unaffiliated Baptist.

As for the question: Perhaps never in the near future. Carter ran during a time when a significant amount of Evangelicals were Democratic. They all disappeared in the 90's. If there was the off hand chance one did, he/she would be branded as a "Judas" among Evangelicals and won't even get to the nomination stage.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 01:14:18 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Church_of_Christ

Definitely mainline.

Very mainline. The UCC is basically the modern successor to the Congregationalist churches, which were progressive mainline congregations mostly in the Northeast. Not to be confused with the Church of Christ, which is a very conservative evangelical denomination.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 02:17:02 PM »

As for the question: Perhaps never in the near future. Carter ran during a time when a significant amount of Evangelicals were Democratic. They all disappeared in the 90's. If there was the off hand chance one did, he/she would be branded as a "Judas" among Evangelicals and won't even get to the nomination stage.

Plus evangelicals are increasingly viewed with suspicion within the Democratic Party as well. It would be much easier for a centrist evangelical to run as a moderate Republican rather than a DLC Dem.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 07:36:12 PM »

What about an actually liberal evangelical?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 07:43:56 PM »

Of the possible 2016 nominees, a good majority are Catholic. So probably not in 2016. It may have to wait until/if the South swings back. Tongue
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 08:56:36 PM »

BRTD, are there any liberal evangelicals in the House/Senate/Governors' Mansions?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 06:54:01 PM »

BRTD, are there any liberal evangelicals in the House/Senate/Governors' Mansions?

Mark Pryor, who voted for Obamacare in the senate, is a Southern Baptist according to Wikipedia.  He is also apparently a young earth creationist.  I can't really fathom him getting nominated any time soon, however and he may very well lose his seat next year.

There hasn't been much of a religious left influence above the congressional level for a while now.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 11:50:06 AM »

While it's true a liberal evangelical wouldn't be popular amongst the general evangelical population, I don't see why that'd hurt them in a Democratic primary of all things. Plus you are assuming all evangelicals are like Southern Baptists, one from a liberal evangelical church wouldn't be ostracized. There was actually a pastor of a prominent evangelical church in south Minneapolis (Solomon's Porch) who briefly ran for the legislature as a Democrat (he had to drop out because of how much time it was taking up.)

Not that I know of besides blacks from majority black districts, but this question is asking toward the future as well. I'm actually surprised there are so few, since there are a notable number in the Minnesota legislature.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 05:08:49 PM »

Not that I know of besides blacks from majority black districts, but this question is asking toward the future as well. I'm actually surprised there are so few, since there are a notable number in the Minnesota legislature.
[/quote]

If there is a religious left movement, black evangelicals/pentecostals will be the first to capitalize it as candidates.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 05:12:49 PM »

If there is a religious left movement, black evangelicals/pentecostals will be the first to capitalize it as candidates.
[/quote]

I also expect Catholics to capitalize it as well, to a limited degree.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 01:19:07 AM »

I'm not talking about such a movement, just one candidate. That said though this is pretty unlikely, black Pentecostal preachers aren't likely to support gay marriage. Progressive black churches like Obama's tend to be more mainline in focus. And of course candidates for statewide office tend not to come from super-safe black districts.

I also expect Catholics to capitalize it as well, to a limited degree.

Not likely. Lots of ex-Catholics perhaps, but look at how all the bishops and Catholic hierarchy responded to Obama and any movement toward gay marriage. Any attempt at progressive organization within the Catholic church will be quashed, and anyone in it wishing to take part is going to have to leave.
Siloch
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 01:15:19 PM »

The party of tolerance does not tolerate evangelicals with traditional views on marriage, child birth etc, so no.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 10:43:11 PM »

The party of tolerance does not tolerate evangelicals with traditional views on marriage, child birth etc, so no.

What about an evangelical with liberal positions on those issues? See Jimmy Carter.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, 06:24:58 PM »

The younger generation (like, born after 1980) of evangelicals, if they haven't left the church as many of them have, tends to be either less conservative across-the-board or, even if they are socially conservative, tend to recognize that service to the poor, protection of the environment, and compassion for the downtrodden are going to be more important than enacting abortion and gay marriage bans.

I would guess the 2020s at the earliest, though. I don't see evangelical Christianity having much currency at a national level for a while, certainly not with the Democratic Party, which is increasingly secular.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2013, 11:06:14 PM »

Pentacostals regardless of race are vastly conservative with the occasional BRTD exception. We focus on all of the aformentioned issues rather equally wether pro-life/traditional marriage or environmental stewardship, compassion towards the poor amongst the groups I fellowship with (A/G, IHOP and the occasional Indy Baptist)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 08:21:58 AM »

Pentacostals regardless of race are vastly conservative with the occasional BRTD exception. We focus on all of the aformentioned issues rather equally wether pro-life/traditional marriage or environmental stewardship, compassion towards the poor amongst the groups I fellowship with (A/G, IHOP and the occasional Indy Baptist)

I thought from your username that you were Reformed. Who knew.

I think Progressive Realist does have a point though. With the exception of abortion, young evangelicals appear to be getting more and more liberal.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 08:10:41 AM »

The younger generation (like, born after 1980) of evangelicals, if they haven't left the church as many of them have, tends to be either less conservative across-the-board or, even if they are socially conservative, tend to recognize that service to the poor, protection of the environment, and compassion for the downtrodden are going to be more important than enacting abortion and gay marriage bans.

I would guess the 2020s at the earliest, though. I don't see evangelical Christianity having much currency at a national level for a while, certainly not with the Democratic Party, which is increasingly secular.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies