2008 Predictions... just for the hell of it.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:36:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 Predictions... just for the hell of it.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
Author Topic: 2008 Predictions... just for the hell of it.  (Read 16376 times)
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: May 30, 2005, 01:15:27 PM »

Democrats Richardson/Bayh 44%PV
Republicans Romney/Brownback 47%PV
Libertarians Micheal Cloud/Clint Eastwood 9%PV

Libertarians finally do really well, the main campaign states are out west and in New England.  Micheal Cloud who wrote the book on libertarian persuasion is able to use it in practice and Clint Eastwood serves as a good celebrity to have and is able to pour good money into the campaign.  Some states, we get a large amount (Montana 29%), while others, a small amount (Mississippi) less than 1 %.

Richardson/Bayh ticket does well, but Democrats find out getting Evan Bayh on the ticket isn't as great as they originally thought.  However people see Richardson as presidential.  He was on Bill Clinton's cabinet and served New Mexico well as governor, and people want to see their first Hispanic president.

Romney/Brownback ticket wins, however.  The match-up works well since it's regionally and ideologically well-balanced, between a New England moderate and a Great Plains conservative.  Michigan goes for Romney, as he apologizes for his fathers remarks some 40 years ago about the "brainwashing" remark, and promises to rebuild Detroit.  The south has a high turnout, and enjoys the religiousness of the ticket.

There're still many disagreements, but two things change.
1.There's less negative campaigning than in 2004.
2.All three parties realize that we need to get out of Iraq.
Secular Politico
Rookie
« Reply #126 on: May 30, 2005, 01:39:09 PM »

Cash:

Thanks for the positive feedback!

Don't worry about being caught in the line of fire though. Most people on this forum tend to be of a moderate or liberal disposition, with those nasty neo-cons in a minority! lol  

BushOklahoma:

Pardon me if I don't take too seriously the wacky opinions of someone who claims to have voted for John Kerry though is "proud" of Duyba and uses language that would warm the cockles of the heart of "Rev" Phelps.  

To say that there is a lack of rational thinking going on there could be described as an understatement! lol  

And considering that you are such a fan of Rick "man on dog" Santorum, it may be best to look away when the returns from Pennsylvania are declared on election night '06.  

Meanwhile those of us in the LGBT (GLBT??!) community and the broader progressive constituency, will be cheering wildy at his demise. 

Former wookie:

Mitt Romney as a "moderate"! Surely that is a bit far-fetched in light of recent comments on LGBT issues and stem cell research to name just two.

On LGBT issues, where he now apparently opposes not only gay marriage but civil unions also, not only is he out of touch with his own state where a small majority support marriage equality, but indeed the national electorate where those opposed to any legal recognition of gay unions are in fact in a minority (that figure was 37% in the '04 Election Exit Poll where the GOP turnout is generally agreed to have been higher)   

And to underline just how deceitful and opportunistic he is, he actually expressed support for civil unions in late 2003/early 2004!

On stem cells he has threatened to veto any bill that advances this much needed scientific research despite the fact that a recent poll indicates that 65% of voters support it. Again this is a national figure and one can safely presume that support is even higher in his home state, the most liberal/enlightened in the nation. 

Romney opporunistically ran under the guise of moderate Republican to be elected governor of Massachusetts but has shown his true colors more recently.

Also from what position would you envisage him being nominated and then elected President in '08? Polls show him trailing a generic Democratic opponent for Governor in 2006 and indeed he might not even run for re-election. An ex-governor of a state loathed by national Republicans is hardly an election winning formula!         

Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #127 on: May 30, 2005, 01:57:32 PM »

I'm not going to offer any "fantasy" predictions but one thing that should be factored into all these projections is that Rick Santorum is likely to get a well deserved hiding in the 2006 mid-term elections and sent packing from Capitol Hill.     

That will kill stone dead any hopes he or his merry band of far right followers have of him appearing on the national GOP ticket in 2008. 

By '08 he will be a political has-been with his unsavoury stint as a Seantor nothing more than a bad memory for moderate and liberal politicos.

All the polls show him trailing likely Democratic challenger Bob Casey. The latest one I have seen shows Casey opening up a 15 point lead against the bigoted junior senator from Pennsylvania. 

His extremist views would be out of kilter even in a number of GOP states such as Nevada, Arizona etc. let alone Democratic trending Pennsylvania! 

Anyways I look forward to him being finally turfed out and brought to book for his obnoxious pronouncements on a whole raft of social issues, particularly on LGBT rights.   

I expect the same thing to happen to the equally bigoted but more opportunistic Mitt Romney in the Governors race in Massachusetts, providing of course he has the guts to face the voters of the state he ridiculed and insulted recently while pandering to the homophobic base of his national party.   

Like his ideological soul-mate Santorum, this should bring his White House ambitions also to a crashing halt.

Santorum and Romneys defeats and a big re-election win for Hillary in NY will be the '06 highlights for me!     

Roll on the elections....

Who advertised on DU? Did we need another Smash who has even less knowledge of PA politics? The biggest joke is PA trending Democrat. Based on what again? The GOP holding a solid majority in the state legislature? The GOP holding a majority of congressional seats? The GOP holding both Senate seats? No Democrat having won a Senate race since the 70s if that? Even you should know that polls taken 20 months before the election matter as much as the last Zogby poll in TN. You must be a fag to, filled with hate at people who have the balls to face off against the radical gay agenda.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #128 on: May 30, 2005, 02:05:13 PM »

Charming as usual, Jake.

filled with hate at people who have the balls to face off against the radical gay agenda.

Heh heh, gets me every time when nutjobs talk about the "radical gay agenda".  Just like the lefties with their "vast right-wing conspiracy".  You guys crack me up sometimes.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #129 on: May 30, 2005, 02:36:57 PM »

I read your first post and wondered, what's LGBT?
But I know now. Smiley

Back on topic...yeah, obviously Santorum will be an utter hasbeen by 2008 unless he can survive against Bob Casey...which, no matter what Keystone Phil et al say, will be an uphill struggle. Though not impossible.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #130 on: May 30, 2005, 02:59:57 PM »

Clinton/Richarson (Dem) 52% 298 EV
Frist/Pawlenty (Rep) 47% 240 EV
Everybody else <1% 0 EV (Tom Pawlenty gets an EV in MN)

So, Richardson has enough sway as a vice president nominee to help carry NM, NV & CO...but Pawlenty doesn't have enough sway as vice president to carry MN, IA & WI???

Yes, race is also a factor as Richardson brings more hispanic voters to the polls to vote Democrat and reverse the trend that started under Bush.  Another reason for the map is to remind my fellow Republicans that Bill Frist would be a disaster as the presidental nominee and even a good VP pick like Pawlenty won't help here.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #131 on: May 30, 2005, 03:23:49 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2005, 05:02:14 PM by Bob »

Secular Politico,

I don't like him, but I would consider voting for Santorum just to piss people like you off.
jacob_101

« Reply #132 on: May 30, 2005, 03:35:52 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I agree that Frist would not be the best choice.  And you are probably right now that I re-think it, Pawlenty would not have much sway with Frist at the top of the ticket, whereas Richardson could because of his ethnicity which is sad...
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #133 on: May 30, 2005, 07:29:26 PM »

I'm not going to offer any "fantasy" predictions but one thing that should be factored into all these projections is that Rick Santorum is likely to get a well deserved hiding in the 2006 mid-term elections and sent packing from Capitol Hill.     

That will kill stone dead any hopes he or his merry band of far right followers have of him appearing on the national GOP ticket in 2008. 

By '08 he will be a political has-been with his unsavoury stint as a Seantor nothing more than a bad memory for moderate and liberal politicos.

All the polls show him trailing likely Democratic challenger Bob Casey. The latest one I have seen shows Casey opening up a 15 point lead against the bigoted junior senator from Pennsylvania. 

His extremist views would be out of kilter even in a number of GOP states such as Nevada, Arizona etc. let alone Democratic trending Pennsylvania! 

Anyways I look forward to him being finally turfed out and brought to book for his obnoxious pronouncements on a whole raft of social issues, particularly on LGBT rights.   

I expect the same thing to happen to the equally bigoted but more opportunistic Mitt Romney in the Governors race in Massachusetts, providing of course he has the guts to face the voters of the state he ridiculed and insulted recently while pandering to the homophobic base of his national party.   

Like his ideological soul-mate Santorum, this should bring his White House ambitions also to a crashing halt.

Santorum and Romneys defeats and a big re-election win for Hillary in NY will be the '06 highlights for me!     

Welcome to the board! Glad to see somebody with common sense! Smiley
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #134 on: May 30, 2005, 07:40:09 PM »

Casey Resse, stop being a shower guy. 330 EV for Kerry! LMBBO (Laugh my blue balls off)
Maybe you should take a shower, you retarded nicompoop. And don't tell us why your balls are blue.

He needs to brush his teeth as well.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #135 on: May 30, 2005, 07:44:03 PM »

Casey Resse, stop being a shower guy. 330 EV for Kerry! LMBBO (Laugh my blue balls off)
Maybe you should take a shower, you retarded nicompoop. And don't tell us why your balls are blue.

He needs to brush his teeth as well.
What teeth?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #136 on: May 30, 2005, 07:44:55 PM »

Do we have any more intelligent people visit the forums these days?
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #137 on: May 30, 2005, 08:28:42 PM »

Welcome to the board! Glad to see somebody with common sense! Smiley

Thanks for the laugh.
Thanks for the pie.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #138 on: May 30, 2005, 08:55:03 PM »

Do we have any more intelligent people visit the forums these days?

LOL, I called him out on that earlier Transgendered Politico has yet to respond.
Secular Politico
Rookie
« Reply #139 on: May 30, 2005, 10:19:04 PM »

Jake:

Some of us are actually too busy to reply instantly to comments posted on web forums. It’s called having a life, though I doubt you have much experience of that. Anyways, I have a general policy of not humoring dumb asses who can’t string a coherent sentence together. Intelligent debate tends to be lost on such people so I don’t find it all that productive.  That’s especially true when dealing with a homophobic dumb ass such as your good self. 

Bob:

While I can’t speak for other people like me, I’m flattered that we (whoever we are!! lol) would weigh so heavily in your frivolous voting deliberations. I doubt that will do the obnoxious junior senator from Pennsylvania much good though.   

Santorum’s demise next year will have one major drawback. It will rule him out of the GOP Presidential line-up and deprive us of seeing him make an even bigger fool of himself (if that’s possible) on the national stage and being whipped in a General Election. A Santorum candidacy in 2008 would be manna from heaven for the Dems. 

Oh well, guess we will have to be content whipping Bill Frist then lol

BTW Max Power, are there many right-wing loonies on this forum or are the charming Jake and Bob in a minority?

A quick scan through the different topics suggests that the sane politicos outnumber the insane ones. Could I have misread the situation? Lol

No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #140 on: May 30, 2005, 10:28:27 PM »

BTW Max Power, are there many right-wing loonies on this forum or are the charming Jake and Bob in a minority?

LOL!  Wow, Bob's a right-wing loony?Huh  That's funny.  Bet that's news to him.  BTW, are you related to jfern, Secular?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #141 on: May 30, 2005, 10:34:54 PM »

Jake:

Some of us are actually too busy to reply instantly to comments posted on web forums. It’s called having a life, though I doubt you have much experience of that. Anyways, I have a general policy of not humoring dumb asses who can’t string a coherent sentence together. Intelligent debate tends to be lost on such people so I don’t find it all that productive.  That’s especially true when dealing with a homophobic dumb ass such as your good self. 

Most people would count dumbass to mean people who lack the knowledge to realize Pennsylvania is far from trending Democrat. Get a clue.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #142 on: May 30, 2005, 10:37:44 PM »

Oh well, guess we will have to be content whipping Richard Nixon then lol
Secular Politico
Rookie
« Reply #143 on: May 30, 2005, 10:57:59 PM »

Dear oh dear looks like I have ruffled your precious feathers Bob. But I think I will ignore your “friendly” advice. I’m having far too much fun winding you up for starters and clearly having the desired effect! LOL     

BTW just a general question I would like to throw out. I don’t want to address it individually for fear of humoring a certain dumbass. Anyways, when was the last time a Republican carried Pennsylvania in a Presidential Election? I’m thinking two decades ago, 1988 to be precise, but then I could be wrong. 

I would also think that a popular Democratic Governor and a struggling junior Republican Senator facing the chop indicates a state trending Democratic.   
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #144 on: May 30, 2005, 11:01:13 PM »

Oh, and go back to DU, you g idiot.

Wah-wah-wah!!!!
Secular Politico
Rookie
« Reply #145 on: May 30, 2005, 11:06:26 PM »

LOL Scoonie, I can almost hear his temper tantrum from here, poor thing. 

Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #146 on: May 30, 2005, 11:09:39 PM »

Dear oh dear looks like I have ruffled your precious feathers Bob. But I think I will ignore your “friendly” advice. I’m having far too much fun winding you up for starters and clearly having the desired effect! LOL     

BTW just a general question I would like to throw out. I don’t want to address it individually for fear of humoring a certain dumbass. Anyways, when was the last time a Republican carried Pennsylvania in a Presidential Election? I’m thinking two decades ago, 1988 to be precise, but then I could be wrong. 

I would also think that a popular Democratic Governor and a struggling junior Republican Senator facing the chop indicates a state trending Democratic.   

Rendell is popular? LOL 48% or some such for approval. Act 72 just got shot down by 75% of all school districts. Rendell is certainly not popular. Santorum is facing a popular State Treausurer, one with dubious campaigning skills, and is losing to a well known name 18 months out. I wouldn't begin the party just yet. This thread will be the "I'll Now Accept my Accolades" of 2006 though. To think that holding the Governor's mansion and seven congressional seats while the other party holds two Senate seats, 12 congressional seats, and the majority in both houses of the legislature means it is trending that way is a serious joke. Not suprising that you don't understand it though.

FWIW, "winding someone up" to get a rise out of them is the first mark of a troll.
Secular Politico
Rookie
« Reply #147 on: May 30, 2005, 11:44:20 PM »

OK, I’m not seeing any dissenting posts so the last time a Republican carried Pennsylvania was way back in ’88. Two decades ago is an awfully long time since the good voters of the state felt they could elect a Republican to the highest office in the land.

Also this from Quinnipiac dated April 21:

“Gov. Rendell continues to hold a double-digit lead over any would-be GOP challenger and has to be considered a strong candidate for re- election even if his job approval rating has slipped below the magic 50 percent mark," said Clay F. Richards, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute”  

It goes on to note:

“Rendell deserves to be reelected, Pennsylvania voters say 48 - 38 percent”

Considering Rendell’s double digit leads and the fact that Bush was re-elected despite most polls showing a majority did not favor his re-election leads me to think that while voters are ready to turf Santorum out (15 point gap!!) they will keep the Governors Mansion in Democratic hands.  

On a slightly different note, I think most would agree that anyone who uses derogatory terms such as “fag” are fairly big TROLLS who deserve to be treated with the utmost contempt  

Secular Politico
Rookie
« Reply #148 on: May 30, 2005, 11:52:52 PM »

Oh, I think you are coming off as very angry Bob. Either that or you use profanities for no particular reason. 

Being the pathetic little creature you are, I could well believe the latter scenario to be true but no I think my "drivel" has more than succeeded in causing you to have a temper tantrum. 

Come on now, be honest eh! LOL
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #149 on: May 30, 2005, 11:53:24 PM »

On a slightly different note, I think most would agree that anyone who uses derogatory terms such as “fag” are fairly big TROLLS who deserve to be treated with the utmost contempt   

Er... no. The only troll here is you.
Er...no. There are no trolls here. Just some people who still need to work on their communication skills. Three of them.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies