2008 Predictions... just for the hell of it. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:51:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 Predictions... just for the hell of it. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2008 Predictions... just for the hell of it.  (Read 16424 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« on: May 29, 2005, 06:40:38 PM »

My 2008 Prediction:

Rep: Mark Sanford/George Voinovich

Dem: Evan Bayh/Bill Richardson

EV: Dem 290 Rep 248
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 12:37:16 PM »

I'm not going to offer any "fantasy" predictions but one thing that should be factored into all these projections is that Rick Santorum is likely to get a well deserved hiding in the 2006 mid-term elections and sent packing from Capitol Hill.

That will kill stone dead any hopes he or his merry band of far right followers have of him appearing on the national GOP ticket in 2008.

By '08 he will be a political has-been with his unsavoury stint as a Seantor nothing more than a bad memory for moderate and liberal politicos.

All the polls show him trailing likely Democratic challenger Bob Casey. The latest one I have seen shows Casey opening up a 15 point lead against the bigoted junior senator from Pennsylvania.

His extremist views would be out of kilter even in a number of GOP states such as Nevada, Arizona etc. let alone Democratic trending Pennsylvania!

Anyways I look forward to him being finally turfed out and brought to book for his obnoxious pronouncements on a whole raft of social issues, particularly on LGBT rights.

I expect the same thing to happen to the equally bigoted but more opportunistic Mitt Romney in the Governors race in Massachusetts, providing of course he has the guts to face the voters of the state he ridiculed and insulted recently while pandering to the homophobic base of his national party.

Like his ideological soul-mate Santorum, this should bring his White House ambitions also to a crashing halt.

Santorum and Romneys defeats and a big re-election win for Hillary in NY will be the '06 highlights for me!

Roll on the elections....

I happen to agree with Rick Santorum's views.  I especially love it when he and other politicians (Republicans and Democrats alike) speak out against the GLBT "lifestyle" and the murderous abortion practice.  Both are utterly despicable sins and utterly abominable, but not unforgiveable.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 07:40:20 PM »

He has a point. Santorum is not nearly as right-wing as some people like to pretend.

They'll never accept that...

He is possily one of the top 5 & definatle in the top 10 of most conservative Senators

I'm not one to go by what the National Journal ratings are word for word but I do believe they come close in their analysis. What would you say about this - http://www.redstate.org/story/2005/2/11/154627/855  Santorum's not even in the top 10. If someone's so obviously conservative and one of the most conservative in the Senate, why isn't he there?

This is the list of Senators who recieved a 100% rating by the ACU, American Conservative Union, for 2004:

Jim Bunning (R-KY)
Conrad Burns (R-MT)
John Cornyn (R-TX)
James M. Inhofe (R-OK)
Jon Kyl (R-AZ)
Don Nickles (R-OK)
John E. Sununu (R-NH)
Craig Thomas (R-WY)

Note that Santorum's name is not in there.

Rick Santorum's ACU rating for 2004 was a 96 and he has a lifetime score of 90. While Conservative these numbers do not put him near the top of the pack.

I believe the ratings that they gave Sen. Jim Inhofe and Fmr. Sen. Don Nickles are true, maybe slightly overdoing it just a bit, but I would still rank both of them in the top 12.  I would rank Tom Coburn where Jim Inhofe is on that rating and move Jim Inhofe to where Don Nickles was in the 2004 ratings.

BTW, what month were these ratings conducted?  I was just wondering when the new ratings will come out.

Secular,

While I may be fairly conservative (I try to appeal to both the moderates and conservatives), I can see the liberal point of view.  Thats why I watch CNN mostly.  I can see your point of view.  Not trying to derogatively label you liberal, but just as a matter of my observance.  You have an equal right to your opinion on these matters as everybody else on this forum and those not on this forum.  I just hope you can respect other's point of views, from the left, middle, and right.  You don't have to agree with our positions, but at least respect them.  I do the same for everybody on this forum, regardless of party affiliation.

As has been said before, Welcome to the Forum!  Hope you find it a fun and invigorating (sp?) experience.  Thats what this forum is for, having fun.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies