The GOP is not changing anytime soon; here's why...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:12:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  The GOP is not changing anytime soon; here's why...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The GOP is not changing anytime soon; here's why...  (Read 4105 times)
soniquemd21921
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 03:09:25 PM »

Isn't "nativism" one of the reasons why Catholics, especially Irish, were so staunchly Democratic for so long? Also, too, considering "nativism" was associated with the GOP, why were Scandinavians and many Germans so strongly Republican?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 03:47:12 PM »

I'm really skeptical of the idea that their percentage of whites can be increased much.  Generational changes suggest just the opposite, and besides - even worse for them, remember that in each successive election the white share will be going down wonderfully.
Siloch
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 03:57:18 PM »

Giving cops the authority to pull over people if they look like they are illegals is most certainly racist. Instead, why don't we focus on more policing of the borders and strategic fencing? As well as doing a better job of deporting illegals with felonies? The last point is something the Obama administration has actually been doing.

The AZ immigration law was a nativist law passed by a legislature trying to deflect blame for AZ's budget problems at the height of the recession. Trying to blame immigrants and outsiders during hard economic times is not something new in America, and the Republican party of Arizona played the same card in 2010. What's sad is that the rest of the Republican party stood right by them. That is why Republicans lost the support of Cubans and Vietnamese, two groups that have been supporting Republicans for decades. Go ahead with the nativism, and face the consequences.

Every illegal immigrant is a criminal, if you enter a country illegally you are a criminal that is one thing I will never tolerate, neither should the GOP or any respectable political party.

Arizona's law doesn't give the police the power to pull over hispanics and ask to see their ID, it gives police the power to question people in police custody about their immigration status, so if the person speaks in broken English for example.

Remember McCain constantly supported pathways to amnesty, he lost hispanics in a mega landslide so much for "nativism" being the cause of the GOP's hispanic problem, if that was the case McCain would have won a massive victory of hispanics. The fact is hispanics don't really care about immigration that much, it is not a main issue for them, they don't agree with Republicans on other issues like the economy which are more important to them. Immigration and amnesty are more important to the left than hispanics, after all its all about future votes.

Different sources say different things about the Cuban-American vote, I know the Miami Herald said Romney won Cubans. I'm not sure about the Vietnamese but I do know that there are a lot of them in Orange County, California and that county swung to the Republicans in 2012.

What I want is for the USA to reduce legal immigration, completely stop illegal immigration, build a border fence and allow the immigrants in the USA to become completely Americanized so that all this racial political BS can end, I am sick of reading stuff like "Hispanics turning Texas blue".
hopper
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 05:40:46 PM »

If they continue with nativism, they will continue to lose middle class and upper income Asians and Hispanics. Republicans don't need to win the Hispanic vote, they need to cut the margin to 60-40. And really not supporting things like the AZ immigration law is more important to Asians and Hispanics than supporting amnesty or whatever. That is something that can be swept under the rug since citizens who are voting in elections are usually not as affected by it. Racist laws like the AZ immigration law affects all Asians and Hispanics.
Yeah they need to get in between 40-45% of Hispanics to win elections time and keep the Dems on their heels.
hopper
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 05:55:36 PM »

Giving cops the authority to pull over people if they look like they are illegals is most certainly racist. Instead, why don't we focus on more policing of the borders and strategic fencing? As well as doing a better job of deporting illegals with felonies? The last point is something the Obama administration has actually been doing.

The AZ immigration law was a nativist law passed by a legislature trying to deflect blame for AZ's budget problems at the height of the recession. Trying to blame immigrants and outsiders during hard economic times is not something new in America, and the Republican party of Arizona played the same card in 2010. What's sad is that the rest of the Republican party stood right by them. That is why Republicans lost the support of Cubans and Vietnamese, two groups that have been supporting Republicans for decades. Go ahead with the nativism, and face the consequences.

Every illegal immigrant is a criminal, if you enter a country illegally you are a criminal that is one thing I will never tolerate, neither should the GOP or any respectable political party.

Arizona's law doesn't give the police the power to pull over hispanics and ask to see their ID, it gives police the power to question people in police custody about their immigration status, so if the person speaks in broken English for example.

Remember McCain constantly supported pathways to amnesty, he lost hispanics in a mega landslide so much for "nativism" being the cause of the GOP's hispanic problem, if that was the case McCain would have won a massive victory of hispanics. The fact is hispanics don't really care about immigration that much, it is not a main issue for them, they don't agree with Republicans on other issues like the economy which are more important to them. Immigration and amnesty are more important to the left than hispanics, after all its all about future votes.

Different sources say different things about the Cuban-American vote, I know the Miami Herald said Romney won Cubans. I'm not sure about the Vietnamese but I do know that there are a lot of them in Orange County, California and that county swung to the Republicans in 2012.

What I want is for the USA to reduce legal immigration, completely stop illegal immigration, build a border fence and allow the immigrants in the USA to become completely Americanized so that all this racial political BS can end, I am sick of reading stuff like "Hispanics turning Texas blue".
Yeah ok you can do policing and border fencing but what about the people who fly right over the border in the form of an airplane?

I will give the Obama Administration credit in doing a good job of deporting criminal illegal immigrants.

No "The Arizona Immigration Law" I don't think had anything to with the states budget problems. The law had to do with Jan Brewer having an easier time winning a Republican Primary for Governor in 2010. From my understanding she had faced a tough primary.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2013, 06:02:19 PM »

I know Orange County like the back of my hand and I can vouch for the fact that the Vietnamese swung heavily to Obama, based on precinct results. The whiter areas of the county swung heavily Romney. As for Cubans, I don't know if Romney won their vote, but they certainly did swing heavily to Obama.

Immigrants, especially skilled and more wealthy immigrants like Asians, are helping America keep afloat programs such as Medicare and Social Security. Without them, this country would become like Europe, unable to fund it's social safety net for seniors. And among whites and blacks, whites especially, it is the older population that is growing the most. I can understand wanting to restrict low skill immigration, but wanting to restrict legal immigrants who for the most party tend to be high skill and have decent professions? I don't know if I can have a serious debate with you. In any case, you might be a closet racist and in that case it's really not worth having a conversation with you.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2013, 06:05:30 PM »

If they continue with nativism, they will continue to lose middle class and upper income Asians and Hispanics. Republicans don't need to win the Hispanic vote, they need to cut the margin to 60-40. And really not supporting things like the AZ immigration law is more important to Asians and Hispanics than supporting amnesty or whatever. That is something that can be swept under the rug since citizens who are voting in elections are usually not as affected by it. Racist laws like the AZ immigration law affects all Asians and Hispanics.
Yeah they need to get in between 40-45% of Hispanics to win elections time and keep the Dems on their heels.

They need to find a way to win northern moderate whites and Asians (many have similar views to northern moderates in any case), and keep the Hispanic vote at 40% or so. If they can also get about 15% of the Black vote, Republicans can certainly compete for another generation, hopefully after which racial politics becomes a thing of the past.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2013, 07:39:00 PM »

The GOP doesn't need to do anything. They're extremely adept at obstructing in the minority. What do you think they want to acheive? They've already screwed over the tax system so that we have deficits forever, which forces the Dems to cave on important demands. Again, they don't need to "do" anything. They've already won, with or without elections.
Siloch
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2013, 08:47:40 AM »

I know Orange County like the back of my hand and I can vouch for the fact that the Vietnamese swung heavily to Obama, based on precinct results. The whiter areas of the county swung heavily Romney. As for Cubans, I don't know if Romney won their vote, but they certainly did swing heavily to Obama.

So first you say Romney lost Cubans now you say you don't know? You don't really know much so I think I will be skeptical on the immense knowledge of Orange County that you claim to possess.

Immigrants, especially skilled and more wealthy immigrants like Asians, are helping America keep afloat programs such as Medicare and Social Security. Without them, this country would become like Europe, unable to fund it's social safety net for seniors. And among whites and blacks, whites especially, it is the older population that is growing the most. I can understand wanting to restrict low skill immigration, but wanting to restrict legal immigrants who for the most party tend to be high skill and have decent professions? I don't know if I can have a serious debate with you. In any case, you might be a closet racist and in that case it's really not worth having a conversation with you.

First of all Europe has no problem with letting in massive numbers of immigrants, so lack of immigrants is not the reason Europe is in trouble, Australia has low skilled control immigration and they are in much better shape than Europe and the USA. More immigrants seems to be the left's answer for everything LOL! I never said reduce the number of skilled legal immigrants, I said reduce the number of legal immigrants, that would come at the expense of low skilled immigrants which make up the majority of immigrants to the USA.

Me a Racist, you wish that would be great for the weak excuses and assumptions that you like to throw about.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2013, 05:34:00 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2013, 05:49:04 PM by Sbane »

So first you say Romney lost Cubans now you say you don't know? You don't really know much so I think I will be skeptical on the immense knowledge of Orange County that you claim to possess.

There was a tremendous swing towards Obama among Cubans and Vietnamese, this is not debatable. Whether that resulted in a win for Obama or not, I do not know. But it did lead to Obama losing Florida and not gaining in Orange County as he could have otherwise. Have you looked at precinct results in Orange County, diouche? Could you even interpret it if you did?

Btw, here is what I said exactly about the Cuban and Vietnamese vote..."lost the support of Cubans and Vietnamese". Perhaps you aren't comfortable with nuanced and complex thought, but that statement does not imply that Romney lost the vote overall of either Cubans or Vietnamese. Just that he lost a lot of support from previous Republican candidates. In a swing state like Florida, that matters. And I don't think Chris Norby, the incumbent California assemblyman who was defeated in his Orange County district, is that thrilled with the plummeting support for the GOP among the Vietnamese.

Siloch
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2013, 07:28:10 PM »

There was a tremendous swing towards Obama among Cubans and Vietnamese, this is not debatable. Whether that resulted in a win for Obama or not, I do not know. But it did lead to Obama losing Florida and not gaining in Orange County as he could have otherwise. Have you looked at precinct results in Orange County, diouche? Could you even interpret it if you did?

Btw, here is what I said exactly about the Cuban and Vietnamese vote..."lost the support of Cubans and Vietnamese". Perhaps you aren't comfortable with nuanced and complex thought, but that statement does not imply that Romney lost the vote overall of either Cubans or Vietnamese. Just that he lost a lot of support from previous Republican candidates. In a swing state like Florida, that matters. And I don't think Chris Norby, the incumbent California assemblyman who was defeated in his Orange County district, is that thrilled with the plummeting support for the GOP among the Vietnamese.

You're pretty rude and you're clutching at straws, word twisting and the likes, but I will bite. Your basic argument is that "nativism" is costing the GOP the votes of people like the Vietnamese and the Cubans, agree?

In 2008, the GOP ran McCain, a strong supporter of policies like amnesty. He won a majority of Vietnamese Americans, but Obama won a landslide of Vietnamese Americans under the age of 18. Why well because unlike older people, the Republicans anti-communist values are not important to the younger generation THIS IS WHY these groups are trending Democratic, it has nothing to do with nativism as it has been happening since before 2010. Also, Filipino-Americans swung to Romney, so it is not all doom and gloom. Asians can be won by the Republicans and they do not need to support amnesty and open borders to win them, its more about economics. The Republicans need to stop being seen as the party that is for the super rich and get back to being the party of the middle class, that inculdes asians and other peoples.

One more thing before you insult a person you might want to learn how to spell.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2013, 09:12:28 PM »

Uh, what? The "douche" was misspelled on purpose.....

Also what proof do you have that Filipinos swung to Romney? I would certainly be interested in that.

Also, as an Asian myself, I know that nativism does hurt Republicans and makes the party look uninviting to those who have come to this nation recently. Even Asians who have lived in America for a long time get the question "where are you from?". So out comes a political party that is openly nativist...do you really think Asians will vote for that party? I am not saying immigration issues are the only thing that matter to Asians, they certainly do not. Asians tend to be moderates, and like other moderate voters have trended Democrat since Clinton's election. Still, white moderates moved back towards Romney in 2012, but the opposite happened with the Asian vote.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2013, 10:45:36 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2013, 10:55:22 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

Guy who says that "immigrants need to assimilate faster" doesn't understand why immigrants don't support his party. Hmmmm.
Siloch
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2013, 07:59:50 AM »

It's funny how a nativist party like the GOP, elected a Latina governor in New Mexico, a Latino governor in Nevada, an Indian governor in Louisiana and an Indian governor in South Carolina.

I guess we just don't make evil white racist Republicans like we used to, apart from in certain liberals heads. I mean those white conservatives actually chose non-white Republicans over white Democrats. WHAT MADNESS !
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2013, 09:05:14 AM »

Both Nikki Haley and Jindal faced some "interesting" challenges along the way, in the case of Haley primarily from her side. As for Sandoval and Martinez, their political future basically ends in those states. Even Rubio might be confined to Florida if he touches immigration reform. And it's going to be the doing of the Republican base.

Also any evidence for the Filipino claims? I am genuinely interested. One city where a lot live in, Chino Hillls, is fairly Republican considering it's demographics.
Siloch
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2013, 09:59:05 AM »

Also any evidence for the Filipino claims? I am genuinely interested. One city where a lot live in, Chino Hillls, is fairly Republican considering it's demographics.

SAN FRANCISCO – The recently released poll conducted by the National Asian American Survey (Naas) revealed that “among likely voters, 43% of Asian Americans support Barack Obama while 24% support Mitt Romney.” The same poll disclosed that “in a significant shift from prior surveys, Filipinos who identify as Republicans outnumber those who identify as Democrats. Indeed, a larger proportion of Filipinos now identify with the Republican Party than any Asian American group” surpassing Vietnamese Americans who were previously the staunchest Republicans.

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/52992/fil-am-voters-leaning-towards-romney
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2013, 09:50:37 PM »

Also what proof do you have that Filipinos swung to Romney? I would certainly be interested in that.

They did, but I've been told Fil-Ams voted more Obama slightly. Keep in mind influential boxer Manny Pacquiao was a big Romney supporter, and it helped made Filipinos vote for Romney. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies