Do you support a Flat Tax?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:05:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you support a Flat Tax?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Do you support a Flat Tax
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 74

Author Topic: Do you support a Flat Tax?  (Read 4630 times)
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2013, 11:42:48 AM »

If it's a flat tax on wages or a capped flat tax, that would be true; however, if it's a non-capped flat tax on income, it isn't, or if it's a flat sales tax that uses a rebate or exemption system it's not regressive.

Sales taxes are inherently very regressive. I could see some sort of successful dampening of that through rebates or exemptions, but then if a VAT is the only way to implement a sales-based flat tax, there's no feasible way to sustain a tax base with the amount of exemptions and rebates you'd need to prevent an unfair burden of taxation falling on the poor. Besides, an even tax rate automatically becomes a higher tax rate for the poor because each purchase itself is a drastically more substantial purchase for a poor person than anyone else. You'd have to include some huge luxury taxes in the end and nobody would support that. If it is on income, then you'd essentially be raising taxes on the poor and middle classes and lowering them even more for the rich in its implementation over the current system. Unless there's a plan to gut the tax system as it relates to the structure of wealth protection in place, a flat tax would literally unravel the country's social structure. It's a horrible idea for so many reasons, most of which are rooted the fact that it's an intellectually shallow talking point policy rather than a serious proposal. It fits perfectly within the Republican strategy of fooling its base with words that make its policies sound as though they're helping the people when in reality their actions directly and solely benefit the super-wealthy and powerful.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2013, 01:38:49 PM »

Normally a flat tax has a standard deduction, and thus retains some progressivity. 
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2013, 05:57:35 PM »

No. People don't seem to understand that the tax code is "complicated" because of all the different deductions that exist. The number of brackets doesn't matter unless you think people are too stupid to look at the table that comes with the tax form instructions.
CountryRoads
United States

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2013, 01:33:55 PM »

Yes.
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2013, 01:47:52 PM »

I support a layered flat tax.. so yes

Northeast Rep Snowball
hiboby1998
United States

« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2013, 02:20:02 PM »

What is a layered flat tax?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2013, 03:15:48 PM »

No, and it will never happen anyway, so the issue is entirely theoretical and moot. It is sweet that so many around here want to give me a big tax cut though.  I promise if the impossible happens, to use the extra cash I get wisely. Tongue
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2013, 03:18:16 PM »

No, and it will never happen anyway, so the issue is entirely theoretical and moot. It is sweet that so many around here want to give me a big tax cut though.  I promise if the impossible happens, to use the extra cash I get wisely. Tongue

Who said they want you to pay less.....most of what I see is they want a high flat rate on owners (riches) so you can't find all the deductions to reduce what you pay, and a low to no flat rate on poors and workers.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2013, 03:26:40 PM »

Who said they want you to pay less.....most of what I see is they want a high flat rate on owners (riches) so you can't find all the deductions to reduce what you pay, and a low to no flat rate on poors and workers.

I guess it is semantics then. To me, if you have more than one rate, it ain't a flat tax. You are suggesting at least two rates.  One popular alternative, is to have a zero tax up to a certain income, and then a flat tax on the balance (maybe that is what you had in mind). That of course means that I would be at the same marginal tax rate (albeit I would pay a higher average rate since a higher percentage of my income would be subject to tax) as some chap making 50K perhaps. That seems ludicrous to me - just ludicrous.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2013, 03:30:28 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2013, 03:35:42 PM by Grumpy Gramps »

No, and it will never happen anyway, so the issue is entirely theoretical and moot. It is sweet that so many around here want to give me a big tax cut though.  I promise if the impossible happens, to use the extra cash I get wisely. Tongue

I guess it is semantics then. To me, if you have more than one rate, it ain't a flat tax. You are suggesting at least two rates.  One popular alternative, is to have a zero tax up to a certain income, and then a flat tax on the balance (maybe that is what you had in mind). That of course means that I would be at the same marginal tax rate (albeit I would pay a higher average rate since a higher percentage of my income would be subject to tax) as some chap making 50K perhaps. That seems ludicrous to me - just ludicrous.

People are tired of a tax code which is longer and more complicated than the bible....ludicrous or not, especially one which the riches sometimes pay less than the workers.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2013, 12:36:05 PM »

I wouldn't support a completely flat tax. I'd only want income after a certain amount to be taxed, and for there to be further deductions after that which would apply to most people - things like deductions for dependents and whatnot, not things that would help the very rich in any noticeable way.
Jackson
United States

« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2013, 05:07:26 PM »

nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2013, 05:09:19 AM »

Layered flat tax is where you get rid of all loopholes, deductions etc. and switch to 2 tax codes (one for corporate one for individual) and the rate is always flat, but layered by income level.

For example.. someone in a 75k-125k bracket might pay 15% of their income in Federal taxes, someone in the 500k+ bracket might pay 25% of their income.. but the rate they pay is always flat, and depends on the bracket they are in. (top tax rate 30% flat, lowest tax rate 5% flat).

Progressive flat tax could be another term for it, it doesn't matter how someone earns their income, they just pay the rate and move on.

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2013, 07:40:58 AM »

Layered flat tax is where you get rid of all loopholes, deductions etc. and switch to 2 tax codes (one for corporate one for individual) and the rate is always flat, but layered by income level.

For example.. someone in a 75k-125k bracket might pay 15% of their income in Federal taxes, someone in the 500k+ bracket might pay 25% of their income.. but the rate they pay is always flat, and depends on the bracket they are in. (top tax rate 30% flat, lowest tax rate 5% flat).

Progressive flat tax could be another term for it, it doesn't matter how someone earns their income, they just pay the rate and move on.

Prepare to see a lot of people making $99 999.99 Tongue
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2013, 10:47:44 PM »

Absolutely not.  It propagates (and relies upon for its justification) the myth that the playing field in the U.S. is level. 
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2013, 11:41:56 PM »

No, in fact more progressive.  See the inflation adjusted rates of the late 1930s capped at 48%.  IMO, they're perfect!
Darth Maul
Rockefeller Republican
Rookie

« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2013, 12:56:40 AM »

Yes.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies