Scott Walker
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:00:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Scott Walker
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Scott Walker  (Read 1025 times)
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 10, 2013, 03:28:39 PM »

He's obviously a polarizing governor and many Democrats would be extremely motivated to vote against him if he ran for president. On the other hand, he's a governor from a Democratic-leaning state which could turn Republican under the right circumstances. Additionally, he has won a regular and a recall election, garnering more than 50% of the vote both times.
If he wins re-election in 2014, how likely is it that Scott Walker will run for president and how would he do in the Republican primary and in the general election?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 03:33:20 PM »

I'd say he doesn't run because the right side of the Pub field is already looking crowded, another Cheesehead among them. Plus he and Ryan are old friends- I doubt one runs against the other. If he did run then he'd further split the right-wing vote and help Christie get the nomination. In a GE... I'd say he wins with less than 300 EV, but I'd say that for any Pub in '16.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 03:38:51 PM »

He won the second time on the backs of Obama voters.
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 06:19:24 PM »

I like his chances better than some of the other candidates first elected in 2010 since he has concrete achievements that fired up the right and his recall survival.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 06:54:39 PM »

I honestly don't understand why anyone is excited about Walker 2016. What a joke. He is a sure fire way to motivate the Democratic base.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 07:02:06 PM »

He's a bit like Ayotte in that in the long run he wants it but in 2016 he's not running. Walker is basically a confirmed supporter of Paul Ryan 2016.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 08:01:41 PM »

He's a bit like Ayotte in that in the long run he wants it but in 2016 he's not running. Walker is basically a confirmed supporter of Paul Ryan 2016.

No, he really doesn't want it. He's one of the politicans that doesn't aspire to national politics. He wants to stay in the state.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 08:03:30 PM »

No, he really doesn't want it. He's one of the politicans that doesn't aspire to national politics. He wants to stay in the state.

I suppose we can only be grateful for that.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 09:14:46 PM »

Hasn't he visited IA and NH on previous occasions? I suppose IA as a neighboring state is forgivable, but if he's gone to NH that's a pretty clear sign of national aspirations.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 09:19:29 PM »

At best theoretical, like you said. Not every star has national aspirations. Plus he and Rubio have a similar problem- there hasn't been a bald (ing) nominee since Ford. Tongue
Lupo
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 10:36:52 PM »

I wonder if voters would hold it against him that he's not a college graduate.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 10:50:32 PM »

If he wants to wait for his best shot, wait until 2020 or even 2024.  2016 just isn't right for him especially with Paul Ryan a possibility.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 09:51:42 AM »

Hasn't he visited IA and NH on previous occasions? I suppose IA as a neighboring state is forgivable, but if he's gone to NH that's a pretty clear sign of national aspirations.

That doesn't necessarily mean anything though as has been seen when a lot of other people do the same thing. He wanted to be Governor of WI, that's the job he wanted. I'm 99.9 percent sure, and a lot of other people in the state feel the same way, that he will never try for President.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 11:14:58 AM »

That doesn't necessarily mean anything though as has been seen when a lot of other people do the same thing. He wanted to be Governor of WI, that's the job he wanted. I'm 99.9 percent sure, and a lot of other people in the state feel the same way, that he will never try for President.

If he visited New Hampshire then he clearly has national ambitions of some sort down the line. Come on.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 12:01:25 PM »

I wonder if voters would hold it against him that he's not a college graduate.

No -- but he would probably make lots of Perry-like or Palin-like gaffs on the stump. He is an abrasive character, and he would eventually leave plenty of bad quotes to be used by the Democratic nominee. People would hold that against him.

Mike Dukakis with a reactionary agenda and few brains -- and that is a good analogy for 2016. He could get huge corporate backing... but as shown in 2012 that will not be enough to win statewide elections in enough places. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies