NRA Membership surges by 100,000 since Sandy Hook
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:51:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NRA Membership surges by 100,000 since Sandy Hook
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: NRA Membership surges by 100,000 since Sandy Hook  (Read 3311 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2013, 07:01:53 PM »

Do you have to pay for an NRA membership?
One year was $35. Most I know just get a lifetime membership, which is $1000.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 08:13:12 PM »

Haha, Mayors Against Illegal Guns got 4 times as many new members as the NRA. Owned!
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 08:18:29 PM »

Most I know just get a lifetime membership, which is $1000.

Hahah, so they get paranoid hillbillies to pay them a month's salary so they can spend it on lobbying for their real clients (the multi-billion dollar gun industry). That's kind of hilarious.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2013, 08:24:57 PM »

Hahah, so they get paranoid hillbillies to pay them a month's salary so they can spend it on lobbying for their real clients (the multi-billion dollar gun industry). That's kind of hilarious.

It's like taking candy from a baby...
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2013, 08:30:15 PM »

Haha, Mayors Against Illegal Guns got 4 times as many new members as the NRA. Owned!

That's a lot of mayors.

Kind of weird that a group that calls itself against illegal guns would be advocating making more guns illegal. 
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2013, 10:16:40 PM »

They wouldn't have reason to be paranoid if the lefties would stop threatening to take their guns away every time it becomes politically convenient.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2013, 04:12:02 AM »

They wouldn't have reason to be paranoid if the lefties would stop threatening to take their guns away every time it becomes politically convenient.

When does the left do this?

I mean, I'd welcome it, but it won't happen.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2013, 04:36:03 AM »

Do NRA members commit a lot of violence related gun crimes?  Otherwise I'm not seeing the outrage here.  Unless this is just the usual recreational outrage from the Recreational Outrage Division, in which case, feel free to ignore.
Recreational outrage confirmed.  When you guys are serious can you let the rest of us know?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2013, 04:51:09 AM »

Do NRA members commit a lot of violence related gun crimes?  Otherwise I'm not seeing the outrage here.  Unless this is just the usual recreational outrage from the Recreational Outrage Division, in which case, feel free to ignore.
Recreational outrage confirmed.  When you guys are serious can you let the rest of us know?

So we aren't serious because we didn't indulge you with an answer to your dumb question?

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2013, 04:57:05 AM »

If your goal is to reduce gun violence, I think asking if NRA members are often involved in violent gun crimes isn't a dumb question.  You can see it differently if you want, but to me it just looks like you guys don't actually want to discuss the issue, you just want to feel smug.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2013, 05:14:25 AM »

If your goal is to reduce gun violence, I think asking if NRA members are often involved in violent gun crimes isn't a dumb question.  You can see it differently if you want, but to me it just looks like you guys don't actually want to discuss the issue, you just want to feel smug.

It is irrelevant whether those gun nuts are NRA members or not. You're just trying to create a distraction and find an excuse for NRA's reprehensible stance.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2013, 05:17:24 AM »

It is irrelevant whether those gun nuts are NRA members or not. You're just trying to create a distraction and find an excuse for NRA's reprehensible stance.

Whether the NRA members are violent themselves is irrelevant, they actively support an organization that lobbies for policies that make gun violence easier and more common.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2013, 05:28:38 AM »

I just do not understand this paranoia. When have guns ever been confiscated by the government? I don't believe it's ever happened and it definitely won't happen in the future. That's not to mention the fact that DC v. Heller is the law of the land and no one is even talking about the guns most people own (i.e. handguns, shotguns, etc). Even though it may help, I'd say it's probably not worth fighting for the AWB. Any version that passes Congress would have gaping holes. However, I do think a ban on high-capacity magazines should definitely be passed. I cannot understand any opposition to that idea. As I understand it, that could have reduced the death toll in Tucson two years ago.

Watching Morning Joe over the past couple days has been rather astonishing. If you have someone like Joe Scarborough in support of common sense gun safety laws, there's no reason why it cannot pass Congress and become law. I think he's quite right in that a hardline stance against gun safety laws will backfire against Republicans. You can have all the rural areas you want, but suburbia may find itself more in line with urban areas if there is no compromise.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2013, 05:30:28 AM »

Whether the NRA members are violent themselves is irrelevant, they actively support an organization that lobbies for policies that make gun violence easier and more common.
....and you guys advocate for policy that won't stop crime but will restrict freedoms of non-bad guys that have a hobby you don't like.

Actually I don't know what policy you two support because the only recent threads on actual policy you guys (just like most on your side of the issue) were eerily quiet.  Well Franzl had a few "joke" type comments in one of them, but certainly nothing regarding the actual policy.  This isn't suprising to me as this isn't my first rodeo.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2013, 05:45:05 AM »

What policy do you want to debate? I've not seen many arguments from the pro-gun side, to be honest, except for the "Yay 2nd amendment!" line.

I've never been convinced that any problem guns "solve" wasn't created by them in the first place.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2013, 05:48:43 AM »

The policy you want to implement?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2013, 05:52:49 AM »

Alright. I wish to abolish the 2nd amendment, as I don't believe people have an inherent right to a gun, and because it seems evident that easy accessibility to guns in society has a strong corelation to rates of violent crime and further leads to a "culture of fear" where everyone needs more guns to protect themselves and so on. And to fight the evil federal government, when they come to take away the guns, of course.

I imagine you dispute my findings and disagree with the conclusion.

Is our debate over then?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2013, 05:57:25 AM »

eegads man....the fear is stong with this one

Ok, how's about something you think might actually have a change at getting passed?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2013, 05:59:57 AM »

Ok, how's about something you think might actually have a change at getting passed?

But that's the issue: Nothing that would seriously help solve the problem has even a remote chance of being passed.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2013, 06:13:29 AM »

....and you guys advocate for policy that won't stop crime but will restrict freedoms of non-bad guys that have a hobby you don't like.

It is no hobby. It is a fetish
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2013, 07:00:54 AM »

Don't act like you just fell from the Moon. There are many policy proposals floating out there (banning high capacity magazines, closing the gun show loophole, strengthening the background checks, national gun registry).
Why don't you say to us the reason your beloved NRA is feverishly opposed to any one of them.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2013, 07:11:54 AM »

There are many policy proposals floating out there (banning high capacity magazines,
We have a new thread on the subject,  join us.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Depending on how it's worded, yeah, that can be part of the compromise.
Have they been failing us?
Of all guns, or just the "scary" kind?

I'd suggest increasing the punishments for straw purchases too as that's where a TON of illegal guns come from.  If you make the bad guy's sister think she might go to jail for a decade for supplying her sh**t ass brother with a new Glock maybe she won't be so quick to go to the gun store for him.
I don't even like the NRA that much as they tend to be loud, stupid, shortsighted and not willing to compromise at all (sound familiar?).  In other shocking developments, I don't own a gun either (no obvious need, expensive hobby, kids in the house).
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2013, 03:03:51 PM »

When does the left do this?

I mean, I'd welcome it, but it won't happen.

I can't speak for the USA, but in Canada the left wing parties call for increased gun control after any mass shootings.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2013, 05:41:02 PM »

What policy do you want to debate? I've not seen many arguments from the pro-gun side, to be honest, except for the "Yay 2nd amendment!" line.

I've never been convinced that any problem guns "solve" wasn't created by them in the first place.
Hey, you're right guns being created was what started this problem. But as long as there are guns in this world no matter what the government tries to do, criminals will find a way to get guns, and, if no law abiding citizens are armed, it just makes it that much easier for criminals. Here in Vermont we have the most lax gun laws anywhere, and you know what? We have some of the lowest crime rates in the U.S. (I think second lowest next to North Dakota) Most people who own guns aren't these insane people who shoot innocent children.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2013, 06:26:15 PM »

I just do not understand this paranoia. When have guns ever been confiscated by the government? I don't believe it's ever happened and it definitely won't happen in the future.

In the mid-1960s the City of New York started a registry of rifles and shotguns. Officials promised throughout the registration process that the information would never be used to disarm law-abiding citizens. Despite those assurances, the city banned and began confiscating many of the registered weapons in 1991. California also banned certain semi-automatic weapons in 1989, but allowed guns owned prior to the ban to be retained, as long as they were registered with the state. After a 1999 court ruling invalidating the exception, the California Department of Justice notified the registered owners of those guns that they must be surrendered, without compensation, within 90 days. The governments of Bermuda, Cambodia, China, Ireland, Germany, Greece, Jamaica, Turkey, and the former Soviet Union also used registration of firearms as a precursor to gun confiscation. Japanese-Americans during World War II in Hawaii had rifles, shotguns, pistols, and explosives confiscated from them after Pearl Harbor.

That's not to mention the fact that DC v. Heller is the law of the land and no one is even talking about the guns most people own (i.e. handguns, shotguns, etc).

DC v. Heller is the law of the land. So is Citizens United.

However, I do think a ban on high-capacity magazines should definitely be passed. I cannot understand any opposition to that idea. As I understand it, that could have reduced the death toll in Tucson two years ago.

Citizens of the United States own about a billion magazines that hold more than 10 rounds, and the majority of widely owned firearms come standard from the factory with more than 10 round magazines (the AR-15, the most popular rifle in America, comes standard with 30-round magazines, as it has since 1963. One of the most popular handguns, the Glock-17, comes with a 17 round magazine). Also, if the larger magazines have no value for self-defense, why is law enforcement exempted from the proposed restrictions? Is it because they could face more than one attacker (and if so, why is that impossible for civilians)? I also don't see such a ban doing a lot of good (it takes around 3 seconds for someone unskilled to change a magazine).

Also, more than 10 rounds is useful in self-defense, and a ban on high-capacity magazines, while it could have lessened the death toll at Tucson, would have done absolutely nothing at Sandy Hook, just for the record.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies