NJ-SEN: Lautenberg, with universal name rec, a goner against Booker
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:32:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NJ-SEN: Lautenberg, with universal name rec, a goner against Booker
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: NJ-SEN: Lautenberg, with universal name rec, a goner against Booker  (Read 4412 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 10, 2013, 05:51:52 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.politickernj.com/62246/fdu-poll-booker-has-wide-edge-over-lautenberg
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 05:53:59 PM »

Phil posted this earlier. But still, dominating. Smiley
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 05:56:28 PM »

Phil posted this earlier. But still, dominating. Smiley

Yeah, but I think it's probably important enough for the front page. New Jersey is definitely going to have a competitive primary, or at the very least, the coronation of an African-American senator.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 06:07:55 PM »

No one wants him to die in office and give Christie the right to nominate a Senator.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 06:15:24 PM »

Lautenberg will most definitely retire now and the Senate Democrats will most definitely endorse Booker.  It looks bad that the only black person in the Senate is a Tea Partier.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 06:33:02 PM »

Lautenberg will most definitely retire now and the Senate Democrats will most definitely endorse Booker.  It looks bad that the only black person in the Senate is a Tea Partier.

Why does that look bad?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 06:47:10 PM »

Why does that look bad?

Indeed. I can't think of a movement that connects with the black community like the Tea Party.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 06:56:54 PM »

Why does that look bad?

Indeed. I can't think of a movement that connects with the black community like the Tea Party.

Especially now that the KKK has gone out of business.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 08:46:52 AM »

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/cory-booker-wrote-in-college-he-had-hated-gays-86032.html?hp=r16

In a piece titled "Pointing the finger at gays," Booker, then a student at Stanford University, wrote that he had "hated gays" though he was able to feign acceptance of homosexuals until a meeting with a gay peer counselor opened his eyes to the struggle for acceptance shared by gays and his black grandparents.

"While hate is a four-letter word I never would have admitted to, the sentiment clandestinely pervaded my every interaction with homosexuals," Booker wrote in the April, 8, 1992 edition of the Stanford Daily.

"I still remember how my brow would often unconsciously furrow when I was with gays as thoughts would flash in my mind, 'What sinners I am amongst' or "How unnatural these people are.'" Booker wrote.

Heh. Interesting.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 11:49:00 AM »

He's officially in.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/cory-booker-senate-run-files-paperwork-86060.html
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 12:27:09 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2013, 12:30:30 PM by Zioneer »

Good, good. He'll be able to win pretty easily, right? There's no strong NJ Senatorial candidates on the GOP side if I recall.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 12:31:42 PM »

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/cory-booker-wrote-in-college-he-had-hated-gays-86032.html?hp=r16

In a piece titled "Pointing the finger at gays," Booker, then a student at Stanford University, wrote that he had "hated gays" though he was able to feign acceptance of homosexuals until a meeting with a gay peer counselor opened his eyes to the struggle for acceptance shared by gays and his black grandparents.

"While hate is a four-letter word I never would have admitted to, the sentiment clandestinely pervaded my every interaction with homosexuals," Booker wrote in the April, 8, 1992 edition of the Stanford Daily.

"I still remember how my brow would often unconsciously furrow when I was with gays as thoughts would flash in my mind, 'What sinners I am amongst' or "How unnatural these people are.'" Booker wrote.

Heh. Interesting.
How is talking about how he overcame his dislike of Gays in a article from 20 years ago Interesting? Im sure the log cabin republicans will be outraged.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 12:37:49 PM »

It's always amusing when GOPers try to play the anti-gay card.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 12:53:17 PM »

Gotta suck to be Lautenberg. The Senior Senator from your state and everyone and their grandmother is throwing him under the bus. But time to trade in for a the younger better model I suppose.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 03:08:24 PM »

Wow: Lautenberg aide rips Booker, calling him "self-absorbed, disrespectful and disloyal."

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/frank-lautenberg-aide-cory-booker-86070.html
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 03:10:34 PM »

Heh. Interesting.

So he once had views characteristic of the politicians and causes you support but has since moved on to greater acceptance and love of others? I can understand why you'd find that troublesome.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 03:23:38 PM »

"Disloyal"? What, is Lautenberg now a Glorious Leader (North Korea-style) NJ Dems have to be loyal to or else? This reeks of desperation.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 07:21:44 PM »

They're right. Lautenberg has done nothing to deserve to be thrown under the bus like that. All Booker is doing is trying to further his political career the easy way; knocking off a loyal liberal vote because he's scared to go up against Christie. Watch he announce a run for the Presidency in September 2015 if he wins.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 07:28:33 PM »

Let's go, pobeditel'!
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 07:42:23 PM »

It'll be a Lugar margin, and I for one will be thrilled when it happens.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 07:44:36 PM »

[quote author=I'm An Election Junkie link=topic=167601.msg3586438#msg3586438
They're right. Lautenberg has done nothing to deserve to be thrown under the bus like that.
[/quote]

He's almost 100-years-old!!! It's not a question about what he's done right or wrong, it's about the fact that he should retire already.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 07:53:00 PM »

Heh. Interesting.
How is talking about how he overcame his dislike of Gays in a article from 20 years ago Interesting? Im sure the log cabin republicans will be outraged.

Nah, if there's one thing the Log Cabin crowd is familiar with, it's self-shame and disgust of interaction with the common homosexual.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 07:54:35 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2013, 07:58:24 PM by I'm An Election Junkie »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well in that case we should've gotten rid of Teddy Kennedy, Orrin Hatch, Robert Byrd, and Daniel Inouye.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 08:06:58 PM »

Well yeah, senators over 75 and especially 80+ should retire or be retired while still living. John Warner got this, so does Rocky. But they're, unfortunately, a minority.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 08:38:21 PM »

Heh. Interesting.

No, New Jersey is a closed primary. Many of those types are whining about Mr. Hagel, and New Jersey in particular has its share of insurgent progressives.

Hence, interesting.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies