NJ-SEN: Lautenberg, with universal name rec, a goner against Booker
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:56:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NJ-SEN: Lautenberg, with universal name rec, a goner against Booker
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: NJ-SEN: Lautenberg, with universal name rec, a goner against Booker  (Read 4416 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2013, 08:57:04 PM »

He's almost 100-years-old!!! It's not a question about what he's done right or wrong, it's about the fact that he should retire already.

Well in that case we should've gotten rid of Teddy Kennedy, Orrin Hatch, Robert Byrd, and Daniel Inouye.

Well if Teddy had retired, then we never would have had Senator Scott Brown and the Dems could have held on to 60 theoretical votes in the Senate of the 111th Congress.
Benj

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 09:27:01 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2013, 09:31:04 PM by Benj »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
He's almost 100-years-old!!! It's not a question about what he's done right or wrong, it's about the fact that he should retire already.

Well in that case we should've gotten rid of Teddy Kennedy, Orrin Hatch, Robert Byrd, and Daniel Inouye.

One can hardly say Ted Kennedy, Daniel Inouye or Robert Byrd were effective Senators in their final terms. In all three cases, it would have been far better if they had retired--or been retired--at the previous election, or at least that they had resigned before their deaths. "Senator" is not a sinecure that we award to people for public service. It is a position with a great deal of responsibilities that very elderly or ill individuals are frequently incapable of carrying out due to infirmity.

Orrin Hatch is not as old (comparable to Ted Kennedy at his last election but in better health), but he probably should have retired this year anyway. I would not have supported him in the primary if I were a Republican, assuming there was a solid alternative candidate who I liked.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 09:41:06 PM »

Lautenberg is probably the most passionate supporter of Amtrak we have in Congress today, and has been great on pretty much every other issue, too.

I'm aware that Booker is popular, that he would win a primary (and the general) easily, and that in the abstract it's probably better to have someone young move up, to replenish the bench and make sure we don't get stuck in a Scott Brown situation yadda yadda.  But Lautenberg is special, and losing him would be a pretty huge blow against a sane transportation policy in America.  I can't be happy about this, lonely as that sentiment may be.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2013, 10:27:26 PM »

You know, I do think it's fairly incredible that a state's senior senator can just be marginalised like this. I like Booker, but I think Lautenberg has served New Jersey for too long to be treated this way. It does seem he's lost all his allies though. If I were him, I'd stand my ground and make a show of things. Heck, I'd consider running as an independent or even a Republican. Yet again, I, as myself, would still vote for Booker.

Lautenberg is probably the most passionate supporter of Amtrak we have in Congress today, and has been great on pretty much every other issue, too.

Is he? Fat lot of good he's done.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2013, 11:17:25 PM »

Same thing happened to Lugar- just about everyone but Daniels abandoned him by the end. Lieberman had many Dems who promised to support the primary winner leave him. Anyhoo, there was an NBC4 report that Lautenberg had decided to retire but a spokesman has said that "it simply isn't true."

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Cory-Booker-NJ-Senate-Stanford-Column-Gays-Homophobia-186509291.html

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/289900946585182209
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2013, 11:36:37 PM »

Anyhoo, there was an NBC4 report that Lautenberg had decided to retire but a spokesman has said that "it simply isn't true."

It had better not be...
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2013, 11:53:40 PM »

Anyhoo, there was an NBC4 report that Lautenberg had decided to retire but a spokesman has said that "it simply isn't true."

It had better not be...

Regardless of the outcome, your overall prediction accuracy number would still be in the single digits, so I wouldn't get your pretty little head too worried about it.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2013, 12:03:17 AM »

You know, I do think it's fairly incredible that a state's senior senator can just be marginalised like this. I like Booker, but I think Lautenberg has served New Jersey for too long to be treated this way. It does seem he's lost all his allies though. If I were him, I'd stand my ground and make a show of things. Heck, I'd consider running as an independent or even a Republican. Yet again, I, as myself, would still vote for Booker.

Is he? Fat lot of good he's done.

He's faced a lot of headwind, especially recently.

FWIW, I'm not normally a huge fan of naming things after living politicians, but I make an exception for Secaucus Junction, which is named after, and only exists due to the good work of, Senator Lautenberg.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2013, 12:04:07 AM »

It had better not be...

Regardless of the outcome, your overall prediction accuracy number would still be in the single digits, so I wouldn't get your pretty little head too worried about it.

Your three predictions recorded on Atlas average out to a B-, so I'm not sure I would brag. But I'll take your word for it.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2013, 12:56:23 AM »

Now Politico hinting that Lautenberg still may retire.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/lautenberg-aides-rebut-retirement-report-86084.html?hp=l3
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2013, 01:16:25 AM »

He's faced a lot of headwind, especially recently.

FWIW, I'm not normally a huge fan of naming things after living politicians, but I make an exception for Secaucus Junction, which is named after, and only exists due to the good work of, Senator Lautenberg.

Does it really? That's another thing that upset me about ARC- we needed that link between the NEC and the Bergen County Line, so that Secaucus Junction could have actually become a junction.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2013, 07:21:27 AM »

Lautenberg is not entitled to a seat for life. Really, remaining in the Senate when you're past 80 is pretty disrespectful toward your constituents.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2013, 07:33:19 AM »

If Lautenberg were to serve another term, he would be ninety-six at the end of it.  Why is he even contemplating against retirement?
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2013, 07:36:07 AM »

If Lautenberg were to serve another term, he would be ninety-six at the end of it.  Why is he even contemplating against retirement?
He's a stubborn bastard. Apparently hated retirement and only wants to leave the Senate in a bodybag.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2013, 07:43:03 AM »

Lautenberg should retire. I'd easily support Booker in a primary. This seat is far too risky to even be temporarily filled by a Christie appointee, who would obviously be a party-line vote for Republicans.
rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2013, 10:42:59 AM »

Hopefully he just retires. I have nothing but praise for Mr. Lautenberg and his service, and for that I hope he realizes the ship has sailed and bows out gracefully.

I don't necessarily have any issue with the advanced elderly serving in congress, but I do dislike the culture of entitlement amongst long lasting senators. Apparently if you serve for a long enough period of time, it becomes the job of constituents and fellow party members to serve you, your goals and your legacy. The Inouye camp did this, and with this statement it seems Lautenberg's may be primed to do the same. Ridiculous.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2013, 06:58:38 PM »

Uh, let's not forget that this is the same Frank Lautenberg that gained entry to the U.S. Senate (the first time around) by attacking his Republican opponent for being too old...and she was "only" in her 70s!
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2013, 09:43:07 PM »

Not to be morbid, but looking it up, life expectancy for men at age 91 (January 2015) is 3.6 years.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2013, 09:55:31 PM »

Uh, let's not forget that this is the same Frank Lautenberg that gained entry to the U.S. Senate (the first time around) by attacking his Republican opponent for being too old...and she was "only" in her 70s!

This is also the same Frank Lautenberg who fought the Nazis...
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2013, 06:54:01 AM »

Clearly fighting the Nazis automatically grants a lifetime seat in the US Senate.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2013, 07:27:58 AM »

I wouldn't go that far concerning Mitch McConnell and the Senate minority.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2013, 10:01:52 AM »

Clearly fighting the Nazis automatically grants a lifetime seat in the US Senate.

No. But when there are just three final WW2 veterans left in Congress -- just one in the Senate -- and none of them are particularly offensive in any way and you consider the sacrifices made for all of us by those who fought in WW2, I personally think they've earned my enthusiastic support. As a trait becomes increasingly scarce, it should become increasingly valued. But the voters are free to disagree with me.

I wouldn't go that far concerning Mitch McConnell and the Senate minority.

Oh, Franzl, you're a riot.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2013, 10:08:18 AM »

It'll be a crowded primary.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/01/assembly_speaker_sheila_oliver.html
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2013, 12:40:43 PM »

Sheila Oliver? Oh. Oh, yes. Maybe 2014 will be the year when Dems throw away guaranteed wins! We better put up someone at least semi-credible in case she wins that primary!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2013, 01:29:51 PM »

Maybe 2014 will be the year when Dems throw away guaranteed wins!

That doesn't happen. They're not the GOP, after all.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies