SENATE BILL: The Gaining Excellent Teachers (GET) Act (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:22:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: The Gaining Excellent Teachers (GET) Act (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The Gaining Excellent Teachers (GET) Act (Law'd)  (Read 5745 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 12, 2013, 06:23:21 AM »
« edited: April 12, 2013, 07:57:03 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: NC Yankee since Simfan has departed from our midst and this looks like a big Fing deal, at least to me. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 06:31:38 AM »

As I said, this is was the next in the line and rather than let it get canned, I took custody of it (like I did with all the bills Jake introduced that were still in the queue when he left last summer). If someone else requested to take it over or just can't live another day unless they be made sponsor, arrangements shall be made as soon as I am made aware of such.

This bill obviously seeks to encourage more people from the top of their classes to go into education. Because pay hasn't kept up with that of a say a Doctor or a Lawyer, many of the top members of college classes are forgoing education for higher paying fields. This is creating a trend of a "academic performance stratification" that entails more and more teachers coming from lower and lower segments of their graduating class. This is obviously not an encouraging sign to say the least, and action should be taken of some kind. This measure is probably small in terms of its impact and I am willing to work with the Senate in crafting a more bold and aggressive effort, if they are feeling particulary audacious.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 06:56:36 AM »

I agree we need to work towards getting more and better teachers. I'm not sure I like the idea of turning teachers into a totally different income tax class. I think it might be a better idea to make higher education more attractive and affordable for future teachers.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 07:10:38 AM »

I agree we need to work towards getting more and better teachers. I'm not sure I like the idea of turning teachers into a totally different income tax class. I think it might be a better idea to make higher education more attractive and affordable for future teachers.

I see that you are feeling audacious, at least. Evil And for once it doesn't involve something you eat or drink.

Now how would the mechanics of this work? My preference would be to provide funds to the regions to boost pay (of course you would have a no boost, no funds clause). Then how much does it cost and how do we pay for it?
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 09:37:00 AM »

I strongly support this: better teachers means better students (and more good students, too). This is a long-term investment: by having less scientists/lawers/physicists today we will have more and better tomorrow Smiley
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 01:00:18 PM »

I'm not opposed, but I'm going to just do a real time bare-bones calculation here to see what this bill could end up costing us in terms of the budget.

(Most of the facts are taken from this page.)

There are about 3,300,000 public school teachers currently working in the United States Atlasia. Let's forget about this bill's provision for college grads and instead skip to the 10% of teachers in the top teir of the NTLE. The bill would therefore affect a minimum of 330,000 teachers.

The average salary for teachers in the 2010-2011 school year was about $56,000. In Atlasia, this number would put their income tax rate at 22%. Since 50% of this average income would become tax exempt, we're looking at taxes on $28,000. 22% of $28,000 is $6,160. When we multiply that figure by 330,000 for the minimum number of teachers affected by this bill, we can estimate that the GET Act would result in $2,032,800,000 of lost revenues. The federal government rakes in about $3 trillion in revenues each year, so that loss is almost inconsequential relative to the budget.

(I should note that I have no idea if I did the appropriate calculations for tax exemption. If we're only taxing 50% of the teacher's salary, does that mean we only look at the $26,000 when we're determining their tax rate? If so, the rate would be at 10%, and we'd need to do a few more calculations. Either way, this measure isn't very costly and will probably have my support. Maybe this exercise was a waste of time, but I like to be able to visualize things as best I can. Tongue)
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 08:37:14 PM »

I'm not opposed, but I'm going to just do a real time bare-bones calculation here to see what this bill could end up costing us in terms of the budget.

(Most of the facts are taken from this page.)

There are about 3,300,000 public school teachers currently working in the United States Atlasia. Let's forget about this bill's provision for college grads and instead skip to the 10% of teachers in the top teir of the NTLE. The bill would therefore affect a minimum of 330,000 teachers.

The average salary for teachers in the 2010-2011 school year was about $56,000. In Atlasia, this number would put their income tax rate at 22%. Since 50% of this average income would become tax exempt, we're looking at taxes on $28,000. 22% of $28,000 is $6,160. When we multiply that figure by 330,000 for the minimum number of teachers affected by this bill, we can estimate that the GET Act would result in $2,032,800,000 of lost revenues. The federal government rakes in about $3 trillion in revenues each year, so that loss is almost inconsequential relative to the budget.

(I should note that I have no idea if I did the appropriate calculations for tax exemption. If we're only taxing 50% of the teacher's salary, does that mean we only look at the $26,000 when we're determining their tax rate? If so, the rate would be at 10%, and we'd need to do a few more calculations. Either way, this measure isn't very costly and will probably have my support. Maybe this exercise was a waste of time, but I like to be able to visualize things as best I can. Tongue)

You have to keep in mind that this will probably give us more money than it cost in the future, so I'd call it an investment.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 11:14:48 PM »

I introduce an amendment:
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 02:47:55 AM »

I object to the amendment. Let's keep things within reason. I'll offer something concerning teachers' education soon.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 02:50:26 AM »

Would this go on until retirement, I presume?
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 10:07:04 AM »

Would this go on until retirement, I presume?

There should be a way to make sure they're still great teachers if that's the case, but I think that goes only for the year they placed in the top 15% of their graduating class and/or the top 10% of NTLE scores Wink
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 10:08:27 AM »

I object to the amendment. Let's keep things within reason. I'll offer something concerning teachers' education soon.

Or rather, either keep it as is or go for totally tax-free income for that group of teachers, that might make more sense.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 11:08:08 AM »

Yes, this is an important addition. Only thought about public schools for some reason.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 11:49:15 AM »

Yes, this is an important addition. Only thought about public schools for some reason.

Yes, the same for me, I was thinking about public schools only =S.
So, I support the amendment, of course.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 04:03:37 PM »

Quote from: Restricted

Sponsor Feedback: Hostile
Status: A vote is now open on the above amendment, please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

Quote from: Restricted

Sponsor Feedback: I don't know, she won't tell me what it is. But I got a funny feeling that it's me. It's worth believin - Translation: I will make a decision later when it it is time to consider this one.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 04:26:26 PM »

Aye on my amendment
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 04:42:04 PM »

NAY
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 10:48:42 PM »

I would like to say I cannot look favourably upon this amendment- I see no reason to have the goverment move quality teachers from private to public schools. Exempting teachers at private schools would create undesirable market distortions that would reduce the quality of private educatoon while making it even more expensive as private schools raise wages to compete with public schools,  causing increases in tuition, making it even further out of reach for ordinary Atlasians.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 02:53:14 AM »

I would like to say I cannot look favourably upon this amendment- I see no reason to have the goverment move quality teachers from private to public schools. Exempting teachers at private schools would create undesirable market distortions that would reduce the quality of private educatoon while making it even more expensive as private schools raise wages to compete with public schools,  causing increases in tuition, making it even further out of reach for ordinary Atlasians.

Why wouldn't it be in society's interest to have the best teachers at public schools? We're not here to look out for the interests of private schools, but rather to offer a universal hifh quality education.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 06:37:22 AM »

Why wouldn't it be in society's interest to have the best teachers at public schools? We're not here to look out for the interests of private schools, but rather to offer a universal hifh quality education.

Private schools are companies. The boss can give the teacher more money if he thinks they're doing a good job.

NAY
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 11:12:28 PM »

Nay

I totally agree with Senator Nix's remarks.  It is our mission to preserve the public school system and to make it the most efficient, effective, and outstanding educational institution in the world.  We should not kowtow to the needs of a private business to siphon our best teachers and our most outstanding students. 

Indeed, these private, independent businesses should be able to survive on their own - is that not the free market?  One can hardly ask for the government to prop up a failed business, isn't that right?  Grin

Apart from bluster, there is no real reason why we cannot achieve incredible success with our public school system - the problem facing us all is a lack of leadership and of courage.  We have to work for the public interest, not private profit.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 10:05:43 PM »

I am not asking the government to prop it up, rather I seek that the government not undermine it.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2013, 06:28:20 PM »

Nay
Spamage
spamage
United States