Kitteh's third party maps thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:00:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Kitteh's third party maps thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Kitteh's third party maps thread  (Read 5469 times)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, 09:50:47 PM »

The one weird result is that one district straddling the Brooklyn/Queens boundary where "other" got 10%, by far the highest anywhere. That district also voted for Thompson and AFAIK it's not a major Hasidic area. Maybe someone who knows NYC better could explain.

Here's the New York Times page where the results came from.

That result is baffling.  It's mostly Bushwick and Cypress Hills, so it's majority Hispanic but not monolithically so.  I was thinking that maybe the very western tip reached into the Hasidic areas of Williamsburg, but it looks like it grazes just south of that.

I really have no idea.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 10:55:34 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2013, 11:12:47 PM by Snowstalker »

Maine.

Michigan (orange is Goode)
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 07:09:15 PM »

Jill Stein vote % in Washington:

Scale is by .25%, lightest color is >.25%.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 07:32:36 PM »

And now, a map that is interesting for it's boringness, Gary Johnson 2012 in WA:

In only 13 of Washington's 36 counties did Johnson get more than 1.5% or less than 1.25%. Of those, about half were minor deviations (for example, Cowlitz, where he got 1.23%) and a lot were places with tiny populations. It's pretty amazing in such a divided state like Washington that Johnson appealed to almost the same percentage of people everywhere.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 07:43:44 PM »

Orange is Terry.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2013, 12:55:04 PM »

Here's the 2000 Presidential Election, for all those interested in a Nader blowout.

Ralph Nader/Winona LaDuke (Green): 500
Harry Browne/Art Oliver (Libertarian): 27
Pat Buchanan/Ezola Foster (Reform): 11
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2013, 05:46:32 PM »

Another boring one, Colorado:

Purple is Virgil Goode. Kinda surprised Jill Stein didn't come in 3rd anywhere. I woulda thought at least Boulder.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2013, 06:09:18 PM »

Here's a fun one: California 3rd place 2004:

The statewide totals were:
Michael Badnarik (Libertarian) 0.40%
David Cobb (Green) 0.33%
Leonard Peltier (Peace & Freedom) 0.22%
Michael Peroutka (American Independent) 0.21%*
Ralph Nader (Indie, write-in) 0.15%

*The American Independent Party is the Constitution Party's California affiliate. Peroutka was the national Constitution candidate.

Badnarik, Cobb, Peltier, and Peroutka all won counties (well, got 3rd). Nader was very close in San Francisco and Mendocino (he was only 12 votes behind Cobb there).
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 07:04:57 PM »

Who tied in Trinity?
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2013, 07:25:31 PM »

Oh yeah, forgot that. Sorry. Badnarik and Peroutka.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2013, 04:57:49 PM »

*bump*

Playing around with animated gifs, since I've seen others do cool stuff with them. What does everyone think of this?

Cali 3rd place 2000-2012, obviously. Green is Green, Yellow is Libertarian, Purple is Constitution, Maroon is Peace & Freedom, and Grey is tied. One thing that really stands out is how weird Sierra county is: it went from voting for Michael Peroutka in 2004 to Bob Barr in 2008 to Jill Stein in 2012.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2013, 06:34:29 PM »

You'll have to adjust the 2012 image in that .gif...
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2013, 07:06:20 PM »

You'll have to adjust the 2012 image in that .gif...

Yeah, I know, that's a problem. I'm planning to fix that once I get my copy of photoshop back so I can install in on my new computer and I'm no longer a slave to the evils of MS Paint.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2013, 11:09:43 PM »

Since California seems to be my thing, here's Cali Senate 2010 third place:

The results statewide were:
Gail Lightfoot-Libertarian 1.75%
Marsha Feinland-Peace & Freedom 1.35%
Duane Roberts-Green 1.29%
Edward C. Noonan-American Independent 1.25%

Fresno was a tie between Peace & Freedom and Libertarian. Compare to the 2004 map above. These maps seem to say that the Partido Paz y Libertad is the most popular third-party among Cali latin@s, and that P&F takes the working-class leftist vote while the Greens win with "bobo" leftists. Not really surprising.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2013, 05:30:24 PM »

Related to the last map:

Peace and Freedom results, 2010 senate election. This is certainly not the pattern you'd expect from a left-wing party in California, getting more than twice as high % in Kern County as in San Francisco. The weakest county for P&F? Marin.
Obamanation
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2013, 05:36:34 PM »

Related to the last map:

Peace and Freedom results, 2010 senate election. This is certainly not the pattern you'd expect from a left-wing party in California, getting more than twice as high % in Kern County as in San Francisco. The weakest county for P&F? Marin.

Could it be because voters in areas with overwhelming numbers of the opposite party tend to become more extreme, or are more receptive to third parties because they know their vote won't count anyway?
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2013, 05:42:18 PM »

Related to the last map:

Could it be because voters in areas with overwhelming numbers of the opposite party tend to become more extreme, or are more receptive to third parties because they know their vote won't count anyway?

That's possible, but given that this is California I'd say that most people are used to having their vote not count. Also, the Green Party shows the opposite pattern, as my previous maps show they do very well in the Bay Area and very bad in the Central Valley. I think the best explanation is what I posited above, that the Green and the Peace & Freedom parties each take a very different type of left-wing voter. The Greens take the "latte liberals" in the Bay Area and elsewhere while Peace & Freedom's constituency is more poor, Latin@ Central Valley farmworkers and such, who are voting third-party because they feel disaffected from the American political system in general. That could be why each is weak in the area where the other is strong.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2013, 05:43:24 PM »

Also, here's Nevada 3rd place 2012. Brown is NOTA:

homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2013, 05:49:27 PM »

I'll make a little contribution to the thread:

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2013, 06:27:33 PM »

The prostitute actually won quite a few counties? Hey, Nix, you're from Watertown, aren't you? Why'd she do so well in that place, the Adirondacky area?
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2013, 06:48:21 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2013, 06:52:16 PM by homelycooking »

The prostitute actually won quite a few counties? Hey, Nix, you're from Watertown, aren't you? Why'd she do so well in that place, the Adirondacky area?

Davis was endorsed by the mayor of Watertown.

Jefferson County isn't technically in the Adirondacks, but she won there and in Sullivan County. The real question - to which Nix may know the answer - is why she did comparatively well in the latter.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2013, 06:12:23 PM »

*bump*

A map of Bob Henry Baber, the Mountain Party (state affiliate of the Green Party) candidate for senate in WV in 2012:

Needless to say, this isn't quite what you would expect. Baber did pretty well in the "typical" Green places like Monongalia (UWV) and Kanawha (Charleston), but those weren't his strongest areas. I'm not sure what the pattern is; perhaps something to do with mountaintop removal?

Also interesting: Baber's weakest county was Joe Manchin's strongest (Logan). That's not a coincidence, I'm sure.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2013, 08:23:11 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2013, 08:28:53 PM by ♥ Comrade Kitteh ♥ »

Here's something I've been working on on-and-off for a while, and finally finished: a map of the third-place candidate (behind Obama and Romney) nationwide in 2012 (click to enlarge):

Yellow: Gary Johnson
Green: Jill Stein
Purple: Virgil Goode
Orange: Randall Terry
Light Blue: Rocky Anderson
Maroon: Roseanne Barr
Pink: Richard Duncan

Brown: None of the Above
Black: Miscellaneous write-ins
Gray: Tie

No candidates other than Obama and Romney were on the ballot on Oklahoma, hence it is shaded out.

Not much to say, other than that Johnson was by far the most successful third-party candidate in 2012. The results vary a lot state-by-state, which has a lot to do with ballot access (Michigan stands out because it is the only state other than Oklahoma where Johnson wasn't on the ballot).
rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2013, 09:08:33 PM »

Fantastic work, thank you. I hope Mercer County, NJ's leading write-in was resident loon Jeff Boss, who did indeed witness the NSA conspire and commit the 9/11 attacks! He might've been running for senate though, I forget honestly.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2013, 10:24:19 PM »

Fantastic work, thank you. I hope Mercer County, NJ's leading write-in was resident loon Jeff Boss, who did indeed witness the NSA conspire and commit the 9/11 attacks! He might've been running for senate though, I forget honestly.

If he was registered as an official write-in, then no. This is write-ins that the state didn't recognize as any real person, i.e. people who write in Mickey Mouse or Lizard People.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies