VICE PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:11:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  VICE PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: VICE PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE  (Read 3951 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 12, 2005, 07:05:34 PM »

Good evening from the Treasury Department's Coffee Room 3B in Nyman, DC. I'm Secretary King of the Treasury.

And I welcome you to the first and only vice presidential debate between Alcon, the Republican, Constitutional Union, and Atlas Freedom nominee; Lt. Governor True Democrat, the Democratic and United Left nominee; and Senator Siege40, the Farmer Labor nominee.

This debate is sponsored by Alcon, True Democrat, and Siege40 (who seem more interested in debating than the presidential candidates) and broadcasted live by some college radio stations.

This debate will last for the rest of my life, following no rules of engagement.

There is no specific topic, but the specific subjects were chosen by no one, the questions shall be asked by any audience member at their discretion.  If you have caught on yet, this is townhall format.

For each question there shall be an unlimited time for response and rebuttal.

Candidates may direct a question to each other. There will be no closing statements and no opening statements.

Gentleman, LETS DEBATE!

(somebody ask the first question)
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 07:08:31 PM »

Directed to TrueDemocrat.

Do you believe, as Senator Harry has stated, that Lewis Trondheim is the moderate candidate in this race?
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 07:10:40 PM »

To Alcon You are a Democrat on a conservative ticket. The popular answer is that you would govern with the good of Atlasia in your mind and not partisan politics. What, in your mind, is in the good of Atlasia? Also, will you vote against a bill that Kemperor supports, thus not letting him sign it?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2005, 07:13:30 PM »

Candidates, what aspect of your personality would make you a good Vice President?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2005, 07:15:47 PM »

First of all, I would like to thank King and the wonderful people of Coffee Room 3B for your room, and, of course, your coffee. I would also like to thank True Democrat and Siege40 for being here.

To Alcon You are a Democrat on a conservative ticket. The popular answer is that you would govern with the good of Atlasia in your mind and not partisan politics. What, in your mind, is in the good of Atlasia? Also, will you vote against a bill that Kemperor supports, thus not letting him sign it?

Thank you for your question, Akno. :)

I am on a ticket with a social left-centrist and economic conservative. I am myself left-of-center. I am socially liberal, in fact, and the very fact that I am on this ticket indicates how excited I am about it.

Right now, we have a dangerous situation: the game is simply threatening to become unfun. We have overcomplicated laws and gridlock. A KEmperor administration would hope to simplify that, streamlining procedures and removing redundant legislation.

We would also hope to get rid of truly useless positions like Chief of Staff. Government requires citizens. It isn't fun if every single person is in the government, after all. That's what PACs and the like are for.

I would vote against something if KEmperor supports it and I disagree in an instant. When voting, nothing will enter my mind other than what I view as best for Atlasia in general. KEmperor understands that, and it was one of the conditions on which I entered the ticket.

Again, thank you for your question, Akno. I hope it was a satisfactory answer. :)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2005, 07:18:35 PM »

Candidates, what aspect of your personality would make you a good Vice President?

Thanks for the question, Phil.

I'm not 100% sure how to answer this question. I generally consider myself to be patient and fair and capable of seeing many sides of a debate. At the same time, I will not abandon anything I truly believe in. I will do my best to be the ideal politician - fair, but not submissive.

That and I have way, way, way too much free time on my hands. ;)
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2005, 07:19:23 PM »

If any of you became President and there was an opening on the Supreme Court, who would you appoint?

Alcon, assume Kemperor left office because he wanted out of fantasy politics, so don't re-appoint him for this.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2005, 07:22:41 PM »

If any of you became President and there was an opening on the Supreme Court, who would you appoint?

Alcon, assume Kemperor left office because he wanted out of fantasy politics, so don't re-appoint him for this.

Excellent question. Hmm...

Of course, the situation would change depending on who is active at that point. I would ideally want to appoint a left-of-center person, a right-of-center person, and one other person - maybe a centrist, libertarian, or populist. If I was to appoint a centrist, I would make the other two justices more liberal and conservative, respectively.

I'm not a big fan of stacking the court, but I cannot lie when I say that I would be more apt to appoint people I agree with.

Thanks for your question. :)
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2005, 07:24:02 PM »

No, there is one opening.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2005, 07:29:18 PM »

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood your question. I assume you mean at the beginning of the Presidency?

It depends on what Justice is resigning. I would want to have some balance in the Supreme Court, which means that I would probably want a center-leftist in the current court, depending on who it is that is resigning.

I would probably choose someone fairly moderate, probably leaning a bit to the left.

Thanks for your question...again. Sorry I misread it.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2005, 10:03:59 PM »

It's ok Alcon.

Question to True Democrat: Are you qualified to be President in the event Lewis passes?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2005, 11:55:48 PM »

Directed to TrueDemocrat.

Do you believe, as Senator Harry has stated, that Lewis Trondheim is the moderate candidate in this race?

I believe you are wrong in interpreting Attorney General Harry's statements.  He said Lewis has the most moderate of all the economic compass scores.  I do not believe Lewis is the moderate candidate (look at my speech at the convention).  Lewis's scores are the closest to the center of the compass, meaning he is least readical, but he is not moderate.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2005, 12:00:13 AM »

My choices are:

1. Peter Bell
2. ColinW
3. Gabu
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2005, 12:10:07 AM »

Question to True Democrat: Are you qualified to be President in the event Lewis passes?

In the event Lewis cannot perform his duties as President anymore, I  feel I am capable to be President.  I have been in Fantasy politics for many months.  I have more posts than Harry had when he was elected Vice-President.  I have been a from District 1, and I am currently serving as Lt. Governor of the Northeast Region.  I know this may not seem like a long resume, but I believe I feel I have gained much experience by watching other members of Atlasian politics.  I am fully confident I can fulfill the duties of Vice-President.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2005, 12:15:57 AM »

Do you favor the elimination of the Treasury Dept?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2005, 12:17:05 AM »

Here's a question for everyone:

What qualities do you feel are the most important for the position of Vice President?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2005, 12:34:19 AM »

Do you favor the elimination of the Treasury Dept?

I personally would like to see if we can first actually make something of the Treasury Department. If we can't, it should be eliminated. If anyone is passionate about it and willing to do it, and capable of the job, it's a theoretical possibility.

Here's a question for everyone:

What qualities do you feel are the most important for the position of Vice President?

Patience, way too much free time... ;)

In all seriousness, I believe activity is very important, as well as stability. You should be able to feel confident the Vice President won't magically disappear.

Ability to be fair and as unbiased as possible in Senate decisions is also a major factor, of course.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2005, 01:02:24 AM »

Patience, way too much free time... Wink

In all seriousness, I believe activity is very important, as well as stability. You should be able to feel confident the Vice President won't magically disappear.

Ability to be fair and as unbiased as possible in Senate decisions is also a major factor, of course.

Why can you not be the Presidential candidate!?!?

*sobs* It's not fair!
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2005, 01:16:47 AM »

*sobs* It's not fair!

I cannot be the Presidential candidate because I do not own a suit. Or any of my own clothes, actually. I live in a box behind a Starbuck's.

Thank you for your question!
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2005, 04:53:02 AM »

*sobs* It's not fair!

I cannot be the Presidential candidate because I do not own a suit. Or any of my own clothes, actually. I live in a box behind a Starbuck's.

Thank you for your question!

But that means that you understand the common man!
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2005, 05:08:52 AM »

Do you believe the bloke who heads the ticket you run on is the best possible man for the job, and if so, why?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2005, 03:26:13 PM »

Why are you guys campaigning more than your running-mates for an office of no importance?
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2005, 03:32:16 PM »

Who was the best Atlasian Vice President and why?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2005, 08:36:34 PM »

Thank you for all of your questions.

Do you believe the bloke who heads the ticket you run on is the best possible man for the job, and if so, why?

I think KEmperor is the best man for the job because he has the drive to get things done. All Lewis and Al have done is push their respective agendas and complain about trivialities. I like them as people, but they simply have not shown a desire to have the office.

KEmp pushed the Constitutional Convention, and people now say they think this is not important because it already happened. But it is - KEmp managed to get something big done. He spearheaded it along with others. That says something.

Why are you guys campaigning more than your running-mates for an office of no importance?

Well, KEmp has a job; I do not, and my volunteering all revolves around the computer. I have more online time, and really need a life.

Unfortunately, I have not been around long enough to say this. I have read a lot of history, but I feel that it is wrong to judge what you have not experienced.

Thank you all for your questions again. :)
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2005, 09:50:37 PM »

What aspect of your personality would make you a good Vice President?

Balance. While I may disagree I always listen. It is my goal to find consensus, or what is best for the people of Atlasia. Working with both sides of the Senate has always been a goal of mine, and as VP I would continue that.

Peter Bell or Ernest. Clearly they would turn it down, but I think they're most qualified.

A willingness to work with all political stripes, being active in the Senate, and a willingness to support and lead.

I am a representative of the relative far left of Atlasia, there are few as far out, or further than me. More moderate, more popular democrats, farm-labourers, and united lefters etc. had/have precedence over me. I don't aspire to President at this time, also I feel that I alone wouldn't win the Presidency, and I don't want to let down those on the left.

Yes. Al has been strong and outspoken on policy in Atlasia and I find I agree with him more than most other politicians, especially considering those running. In addition, Al and I treat fantasy politics with an air of fun that I find refreshing.

Hard question. I'd have to say Nym90's VP, Vice President Al. Wink

Siege
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies