Clarence Thomas breaks seven years of silence to criticize Yale Law.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:46:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Clarence Thomas breaks seven years of silence to criticize Yale Law.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Clarence Thomas breaks seven years of silence to criticize Yale Law.  (Read 1888 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 15, 2013, 12:35:40 AM »

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/14/justice/thomas-court-speaks/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 01:30:17 AM »

LOL, he breaks a 7 year silence for a crappy joke?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 01:42:46 AM »

A crappy joke belittling a law program he only got into because of the same racial quotas that he's so strongly against.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 02:15:09 AM »

A crappy joke belittling a law program he only got into because of the same racial quotas that he's so strongly against.

right, no black person can get into Yale without a quota.

You ever stop and think that maybe one of the reasons he's so against them is because he doesn't appreciate being denigrated as some sort of charity case?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 02:22:46 AM »

You ever stop and think that maybe one of the reasons he's so against them is because he doesn't appreciate being denigrated as some sort of charity case?

Don't worry, he's not the best black, that's Stephen Carter.
rwoy
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 08:11:30 AM »

Am I the only person disturbed by the fact that the 9 person Supreme Court only attended 2 law schools?  Nothing like diversity, eh?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 09:00:16 AM »

I don't say that because he's black. I say it because he has acknowleged it himself.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 10:27:17 AM »

No, but Clarence Thomas couldn't have.  He's said so himself.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 10:32:23 AM »

Am I the only person disturbed by the fact that the 9 person Supreme Court only attended 2 law schools?  Nothing like diversity, eh?

For the record, the Canadian Supreme Court has 9 judges, from 8 different law schools.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 11:39:03 AM »

They also only represent two religions.
wan
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 03:53:26 PM »

who the heck is stephen carter
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 04:20:36 PM »

Those two religions account for the overwhelming majority of Americans.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 04:41:46 PM »

The majority of the population consists of Catholics and Jews?  What about the Protestants or the ever-growing percentage of non-believers such as myself?

What I find most disturbing is that a Supreme Court Justice hasn't said anything for so many years.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 04:49:40 PM »

NPR published a piece today saying that 1/3rd of people under 30 don't affiliate with organized religion at all. I'd say it's becoming increasingly urgent that nominees to the bench reflect the diverse beliefs of Americans, not just the diverse colors.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 05:10:00 PM »

How do Jews & Catholics make up an overwhelming majority of Americans?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 06:34:01 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2013, 06:42:49 PM by shua »

No, but Clarence Thomas couldn't have.  He's said so himself.

I highly doubt he has said anything of the kind.  You think he would give the people who have doubted the value of his achievements ever since his admittance to Yale that sort of satisfaction?  That sounds like an all too convenient projection by some lazy thinking television news talk hack that got repeated in service of an Uncle Tom caricature that bears no resemblance to one of the Court's most original thinkers.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 08:40:35 PM »

Catholics are just as Christian as Protestants.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 10:42:03 PM »

Are Catholics not Christians? Or do all sects of Christianity require their own representation?
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 11:10:09 PM »

Yeah, but it's an indicator, I think, of just how rigidly and negatively hierarchical academia is in America. Which is something that everyone complains about but no one seems too eager to do anything about. Anything short of Yale, forget the SCOTUS, and there's only one that's "better": Harvard. Ridiculous.

NPR published a piece today saying that 1/3rd of people under 30 don't affiliate with organized religion at all. I'd say it's becoming increasingly urgent that nominees to the bench reflect the diverse beliefs of Americans, not just the diverse colors.

Yes. I agree all the way, and the same observation is CERTAINLY true of Congress.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 01:40:34 AM »

Are Catholics not Christians? Or do all sects of Christianity require their own representation?

Just over half the country is Protestant, yet all the Christians on the Court are Catholic. That's not representative, particularly given the wide differences between Catholics and Protestants on issues such as birth control and gay rights.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 01:56:31 AM »

Just over half the country is Protestant, yet all the Christians on the Court are Catholic. That's not representative, particularly given the wide differences between Catholics and Protestants on issues such as birth control and gay rights.

The differences within Catholicism and Protestantism on such issues, or on political and social values in general, are greater than the differences between them.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 02:25:42 AM »

For the record, the Canadian Supreme Court has 9 judges, from 8 different law schools.

7, from UWA; Melbourne and Oxford; Sydney and Oxford; Melbourne and Sydney;  Cambridge; Sydney; and ANU and Harvard.

Three women, four men; a Queenslander, a Western Australian, a Canberran, Victorians and New  South Welshpeople, republicans and monarchists, heteros, homos, and ?os, white and... well, just whites, but two of them have weird surnames.

Just sayin'.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 07:51:17 AM »

Protestants are more likely to oppose birth control than Catholics (I don't have a cite offhand, but every poll you saw from the media during the contraception mandate "controversy" said so), and considering how Catholics were much more likely to support Obama, I imagine they're better on gay rights as well.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 07:55:31 AM »

Protestants are more likely to oppose birth control than Catholics (I don't have a cite offhand, but every poll you saw from the media during the contraception mandate "controversy" said so), and considering how Catholics were much more likely to support Obama, I imagine they're better on gay rights as well.

That's largely depends on whether you define Catholic as "identifies as Catholic" or "weekly mass goer" The difference between the two is huge.
rwoy
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 12:24:34 PM »

Yeah, but it's an indicator, I think, of just how rigidly and negatively hierarchical academia is in America. Which is something that everyone complains about but no one seems too eager to do anything about. Anything short of Yale, forget the SCOTUS, and there's only one that's "better": Harvard. Ridiculous.

I'm not saying that Yale and Harvard aren't great schools, but I think it is reasonable to assume that your school helps to shape your point of view.  And the idea that only the views of 2 schools are represented on the highest court in the land is a little disturbing.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies