"I'd start with cutting salaries of congressmen!!!"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:17:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  "I'd start with cutting salaries of congressmen!!!"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is this the dumbest thing consistely said in budget debates?
Yes

No (please post something dumber)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: "I'd start with cutting salaries of congressmen!!!"  (Read 3113 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 15, 2013, 02:58:34 PM »

I get tired of hearing it.  The salary of 535 people is about half of a drop in the bucket of the federal budget, yet that's the only thing people seem to think needs to be done to balance it.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 03:28:19 PM »

Something dumber: "Reducing defense spending now would be a dangerous mistake. Don't cut military spending."--Jim Talent
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 03:58:59 PM »

Dumbest? No, I doubt it. I don't have a particular example of something dumber but I find it highly likely far dumber things have been said. While it certainly wouldn't balance the budget, I wouldn't mind it happening - Congress has an extremely low approval rating. For us normal folks having an approval rating like that from whomever employed us would get us fired. Alas, the system by which we elect the members of Congress generally presents us with replacements that we view as even worse. Cutting pay would be punitive to some degree, though. Also, on principle you don't pay someone highly when they keep getting you deeper into debt with no apparent plan to get you out of it.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 04:06:51 PM »

It would not be a very quick way of reducing the deficit (it's not efficient either, of course) as due to the 27th amendment it would not take effect until the next congress.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 05:13:36 PM »

Members of congress aren't overpaid. A lot of them actually take a pay cut by serving in Congress rather than in whatever their previous job was. Paeans about public service aside, you get what you pay for. If we cut lawmakers' salaries to $30,000 a year, a lot of intelligent, qualified people wouldn't run for congress because they'd have better opportunities elsewhere. You'd end up with a bunch of super-rich people and poor dummies in Congress, and a bunch of highly intelligent and ambitious people working in the "private sector" as lobbyists where they can get paid what they're worth.

I also think it's crazy that they don't get a housing allowance for their time in DC. There are people sleeping on couches in their offices because they literally cannot afford to maintain their district residence and pay $2,000 a month in rent in DC. But we pay them to spend 3 days a week flying back and forth to their district where they're often fundraising rather than doing actual work. Give them someplace to live and pay for them to go home one weekend a month, which they have to use solely for public meetings and attending to constituent services.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 05:24:02 PM »

Members of congress aren't overpaid. A lot of them actually take a pay cut by serving in Congress rather than in whatever their previous job was. Paeans about public service aside, you get what you pay for. If we cut lawmakers' salaries to $30,000 a year, a lot of intelligent, qualified people wouldn't run for congress because they'd have better opportunities elsewhere. You'd end up with a bunch of super-rich people and poor dummies in Congress, and a bunch of highly intelligent and ambitious people working in the "private sector" as lobbyists where they can get paid what they're worth.
For some, this is true. The candidate whose campaign I worked for told me that he met a Congressman from Wisconsin who said he could barely feed his family with the salary. Most members of Congress are independently wealthy to begin with though.

I also think it's crazy that they don't get a housing allowance for their time in DC. There are people sleeping on couches in their offices because they literally cannot afford to maintain their district residence and pay $2,000 a month in rent in DC. But we pay them to spend 3 days a week flying back and forth to their district where they're often fundraising rather than doing actual work. Give them someplace to live and pay for them to go home one weekend a month, which they have to use solely for public meetings and attending to constituent services.
I would agree to this. It really is a solid reform proposal. Why this hasn’t been picked up on is beyond me.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 05:38:36 PM »

I think the unequal "If I can balance my checkbook" metaphor is the dumbest, imo
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 05:43:37 PM »

No, not in the form that says "I'd start with."  In the form that says "Instead of . . ." (usually Social Security is what I've seen mentioned) - yes, absolutely. 
CountryRoads
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 11:36:19 PM »

"Let's get rid of foreign aid" is dumber.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 01:32:57 AM »
« Edited: January 16, 2013, 01:36:21 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Well, in 2009, California had an election full of budget related propositions, and they all failed except for 1F, which prevented pay raises in years of deficits. It got 74%.

Later, voters actually passed meaningful propositions related to the budget. 25 in 2010, and 30 and 39 last year.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 01:52:49 AM »

Cutting the salaries of Congress isn't about balancing the budget, it's about making the idiots in charge of creating the mess experience some consequences for their actions.

As for something more foolish, how about, "Wasn't Barack Obama supposed to put an end to partisan bickering and finger pointing?" from House Republican Leader Eric Cantor's spokesman Doug Heye.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 12:05:41 PM »

I just had this conversation on facebook. It's disapointing to me because it shouldn't take much common sense or any actual knowledge to understand. How many Congressmen do you see every day at the grocery or wherever? And how many people over 65 do you see?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 12:09:52 PM »

I think the unequal "If I can balance my checkbook" metaphor is the dumbest, imo
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 01:28:08 PM »

Well I don't think it's inherently dumb. What makes it dumb is the fact that most people generally aren't balancing their checkbooks.

This too, also, is pretty stupid. Lower salaries increase the risk of corruption

Also, the idea entitlements don't need to be cut or managed to a sustainable level.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 09:35:25 PM »

Yeah, that's just populist idiocy.  The Presidential salary, on the other hand, really should be cut back.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 07:33:00 AM »

No: "Let's gut foreign aid and PBS! Together they make up 15% of our budget!"
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 07:50:50 AM »

For some, this is true. The candidate whose campaign I worked for told me that he met a Congressman from Wisconsin who said he could barely feed his family with the salary. Most members of Congress are independently wealthy to begin with though.

174 000$ a year and barely able to feed his family, impressive. What do it say about congress that its members think that 174k are a low wage?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 09:28:02 AM »

174 000$ a year and barely able to feed his family, impressive. What do it say about congress that its members think that 174k are a low wage?

It's split 2 ways, but still, plenty of 6 figure incomes manage to keep a house and a cabin. Tongue
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 11:42:46 AM »

No: "Let's gut foreign aid and PBS! Together they make up 15% of our budget!"

That kind of reminds me of Mike Naso's Atlasia tax cut proposal.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 06:44:27 PM »

The guy had 8 kids, 4 of whom are in/going to college, 4 of whom in elementary school, to be fair.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2013, 07:41:25 PM »

The guy had 8 kids, 4 of whom are in/going to college, 4 of whom in elementary school, to be fair.

So he had gotten more kid than he could feed and likely his wife didn't work, and somehow it was the fault of others. Maybe before he produced so many kids, he should have asked himself how he would provide for them.

Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2013, 07:56:35 PM »

How much birth control can you buy for $174,000?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 07:05:02 PM »

No, this isnt a stupid idea.  Most members of Congress are already wealthy when they get there.  Id propose cutting Congressional salaries to $60,000 a year and getting rid of Congressional pensions and forcing them to pay half of their health insurance costs.  Like I said, most of them are already wealthy. 
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 10:40:57 PM »

No, this isnt a stupid idea.  Most members of Congress are already wealthy when they get there.  Id propose cutting Congressional salaries to $60,000 a year and getting rid of Congressional pensions and forcing them to pay half of their health insurance costs.  Like I said, most of them are already wealthy. 

True. Calling this a stupid idea would be highly complimentary.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies