America's debt-to-GDP ratio isn't as bad as its citizens' (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:47:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  America's debt-to-GDP ratio isn't as bad as its citizens' (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: America's debt-to-GDP ratio isn't as bad as its citizens'  (Read 2546 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« on: January 15, 2013, 07:19:31 PM »

In terms of how much we spend as a country relative to national income, we still aren't as bad as individual households are.

US Debt-to-GDP Ratio: 67.7%
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/11/the-long-story-of-us-debt-from-1790-to-2011-in-1-little-chart/265185/

The Average American's Debt-to-GDP Ratio: 112.8%
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/07/02/do-you-have-more-debt-than-the-average-american/

Think of your annual income as your own personal GDP. The average American salary in 2010 was $41,673.83. The average American debt load was roughly $47,000.

So much for wanting Congress to balance its budget like "everyday Americans" do.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 05:24:40 PM »

The individual debt to GDP is a bit ingenious. If I make $50 000 per year and take a $100 000 mortgage I have a 200% debt/GDP ratio. I could still have a surplus and appear to have horrible debt.

The American government on the other hand is more like the guy making $50 000, has $50 000 on the mortgage and keeps spending $55 000 per year, year in and year out.

You're confusing deficit and debt. The $5,000 extra you spend in a year is the annual deficit you are running. That contributes to your total debt, which would include a mortgage, car notes, credit card debt, etc.

My point is that the idea that private households spend no more than they take in and that government should do the same is ludicrous. When you take out a mortgage to buy a house, you have just spent more than you are taking in. When you finance a new car, you are spending more than you are taking in. When you take out a student loan, you are spending more than you are taking in.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 11:40:19 PM »

The individual debt to GDP is a bit ingenious. If I make $50 000 per year and take a $100 000 mortgage I have a 200% debt/GDP ratio. I could still have a surplus and appear to have horrible debt.

The American government on the other hand is more like the guy making $50 000, has $50 000 on the mortgage and keeps spending $55 000 per year, year in and year out.

You're confusing deficit and debt. The $5,000 extra you spend in a year is the annual deficit you are running. That contributes to your total debt, which would include a mortgage, car notes, credit card debt, etc.

My point is that the idea that private households spend no more than they take in and that government should do the same is ludicrous. When you take out a mortgage to buy a house, you have just spent more than you are taking in. When you finance a new car, you are spending more than you are taking in. When you take out a student loan, you are spending more than you are taking in.

Sure, but the difference is that in personal spending, the debt is usually for a capital expenditure (School, car, house etc) which in theory should be paid off eventually. This can be quite sound financially, even though the numbers look good. What the federal government debt is closer to taking out a loan to pay the light bill.

Any loan should in theory be paid off eventually. And there are plenty of people in this country who do the equivalent of taking out a loan to pay the light bill every day.

Private debt creates economic problems just as much as public debt does. And the difference is that unlike the federal government, private citizens would generally have a hard time getting people all over the world to loan them money for nearly zero interest.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies