Proud patriot buys AK-47 before tyrannical gubmint can stop him...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:30:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Proud patriot buys AK-47 before tyrannical gubmint can stop him...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Proud patriot buys AK-47 before tyrannical gubmint can stop him...  (Read 4819 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2013, 06:50:12 PM »

You obviously hate freedom, Lief. Everyone needs one of them, to protect themselves in case the government becomes tyrannical and needs to be overthrown. Didn't you pay attention in history class?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2013, 06:52:30 PM »

Oh, definitely, freedom is horrible. Have you ever been to Subway? Christ, just give me the best sandwich you got, don't ask me to pick literally thousands of combinations of sandwich ingredients. Freedom is a blight on society, we'd all be a lot better off with significantly less of it.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2013, 06:57:43 PM »

As BRTD said, AK-47s are worthless hassles anyway.  Not only should private citizens not own one, they shouldn't even want one.  It's a waste of money.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2013, 08:15:06 PM »

Just as the AR-15 is a semiautomatic civilian version of the M-16. The rifle used here was likely a semiautomatic civilian version of the AK-47.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2013, 11:39:23 PM »

Although as I noted, what's the purpose of a civilian AK-47? It's not useful even for organized crime. The only real thing the AK-47 is good for is guerrilla warfare.

If people want to complain about a gun with no civilian usage and is quite dangerous, submachine guns like Uzis and Tec-9s are the way to go. They obviously aren't for hunting, suck for self-defense (likely would take out some innocent bystanders in a crowded area too), and actually are effective for gang style shootings or someone on a spree, plus bank robbers like them because they are easy to handle yet intimidate people by firing in the air. Not that I think banning them necessarily would stop their usage in crime, but it's a more logical target than guns that are basically hunting rifles with silly cosmetics on them to make them look more badass to who's holding it/scary to everyone else.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2013, 12:10:54 AM »

A great American that one can only look up to.

We are a free nation because of him.

Dad's name is Kirill Bartashevitch. Obviously a plant by former KGB agent Vlad Putin to discredit gun rights and thereby weaken America.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2013, 12:11:23 AM »

Although as I noted, what's the purpose of a civilian AK-47? It's not useful even for organized crime. The only real thing the AK-47 is good for is guerrilla warfare.

The AK-47 action is fairly rugged and can take a lot of abuse.  So for someone who doesn't want to have to deal with providing their gun lots of TLC to make certain it will work when needed, I can see them wanting a gun like the AK-47 for that reason.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2013, 02:33:33 AM »

The AK-47 action is fairly rugged and can take a lot of abuse.  So for someone who doesn't want to have to deal with providing their gun lots of TLC to make certain it will work when needed, I can see them wanting a gun like the AK-47 for that reason.

Given the guy's name, he might have simply chosen the gun he was taught to use at high school. They did force us to learn how to play with the darn things back in the Soviet Union (I am proud to say, I miserably failed).
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2013, 03:07:14 AM »

Just as the AR-15 is a semiautomatic civilian version of the M-16. The rifle used here was likely a semiautomatic civilian version of the AK-47.

If it looks like a machine gun, then it is a machine gun.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2013, 05:50:38 AM »

Yep. AKs can take a bit of damage and they look way cool. It's not about usefulness.

Anyways, just punishment for this guy would clearly be a lifetime ban on gun use and ownership.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2013, 08:35:24 AM »

AK47s are illegal in the US.  As the article states, this is an AK47 "like" weapon.  Meaning it kind of looks like an AK47 and fires the same round.  A real AK47 is an assault rifle and is thus illegal to own in the US.

Facts schmacts, this is a thread making fun of one, clearly insane, gun owner, it has nothing to do with facts.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2013, 09:30:04 AM »

AK47s are illegal in the US.  As the article states, this is an AK47 "like" weapon.  Meaning it kind of looks like an AK47 and fires the same round.  A real AK47 is an assault rifle and is thus illegal to own in the US.

Facts schmacts, this is a thread making fun of one, clearly insane, gun owner, it has nothing to do with facts.

Ah, but you see all the liberals don't bother to read the article.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2013, 09:32:03 AM »

The type of gun involved isn't really relevant.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2013, 12:39:49 PM »

Only reason to have one would be a rich with a large private arsenal for the eventuality of a violent class war.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2013, 06:35:02 PM »

AK47s are illegal in the US.  As the article states, this is an AK47 "like" weapon.  Meaning it kind of looks like an AK47 and fires the same round.  A real AK47 is an assault rifle and is thus illegal to own in the US.

they're not actually illegal for civilian use, just heavily regulated by the atf and local law enforcement.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2013, 02:04:51 AM »

Correct.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies