is Rick Santorum more or less objectionable because he is a Roman Catholic?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:47:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  is Rick Santorum more or less objectionable because he is a Roman Catholic?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Poll
Question: is Rick Santorum more or less objectionable because he is a Roman Catholic?
more, his Catholicism exacerbates his objectionability

less, adding conservative evangelical protestantism to the equation would render him utterly unbearable

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: is Rick Santorum more or less objectionable because he is a Roman Catholic?  (Read 8090 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 16, 2013, 01:06:18 AM »

I intentionally left out 'neither'; slice up the margins, pick one!
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 01:59:45 AM »

More. He's attached to a Church that has done some pretty sinister things throughout history. But Evangelical Protestantism has more or less simply provided provocation and occasional comic relief when brought down by its own hypocrisy and excess (Ted Haggard, Jim and Tammy Fay Baker, Eddie Long...).
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 02:14:05 AM »

Ooh, good question. I think his misuse of Catholicism is a particularly grating quality, which would be impossible without him being Catholic, so more.

(margin found!)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 07:46:25 AM »

More, because I see him as a false prophet merely claiming to be Catholic to fool uneducated voters.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 10:11:58 AM »

Ooh, good question. I think his misuse of Catholicism is a particularly grating quality, which would be impossible without him being Catholic, so more.

(margin found!)

How's he misusing it? The things about him people find so objectionable are just due to him following the church's actual teachings and beliefs.

More, because I see him as a false prophet merely claiming to be Catholic to fool uneducated voters.

The guy goes to Latin Mass, you can't get much more purely Catholic than that. Certainly not something a closet Protestant would do. And who is he fooling? I can't see anyone willing to vote for Santorum but wouldn't be willing to do so if he was Protestant, but plus Catholicism obviously had next to no effect and where his support in the primary came from.

I voted more because what his abhorrent policies come from a very hierarchical and organized organization. Conservative evangelicals are fractured and often fight with things amongst themselves.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 10:31:43 AM »

Catholicism is a religion of love, compassion, and social obligations. Santorum would be a nasty individual no matter what faith tradition he identified with.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 12:58:03 PM »

Catholicism is a religion of love, compassion, and social obligations. Santorum would be a nasty individual no matter what faith tradition he identified with.

It's kind of odd seeing a gay say this.

I agree with the second sentence though.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 01:11:14 PM »

Either way, he's as objectionable as a Republican can be.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 01:13:07 PM »

(margin found!)

How's he misusing it? The things about him people find so objectionable are just due to him following the church's actual teachings and beliefs.

The guy goes to Latin Mass, you can't get much more purely Catholic than that. Certainly not something a closet Protestant would do. And who is he fooling? I can't see anyone willing to vote for Santorum but wouldn't be willing to do so if he was Protestant, but plus Catholicism obviously had next to no effect and where his support in the primary came from.

I voted more because what his abhorrent policies come from a very hierarchical and organized organization. Conservative evangelicals are fractured and often fight with things amongst themselves.

To me it comes down to a matter of priorities in his faith.  Growing up the main dictum(s) I was taught was the Great Commandment and The New Commandment. His more strident criticisms and condemnations are misplaced, wrong and at odds with the aforementioned articles.  They are not a message of inclusion but exclusion. Of course, you have many in the college who put forth the same positions. It is one thing to believe something to be sin- it is quite another to de-humanize those who you think engage in it.
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 01:13:07 PM »

This thread would not be acceptable if it was about Islam or Judaism, and it should not be acceptable for Catholicism, Protestantism, or any religion.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 01:23:55 PM »

Santorum is a lapsed Catholic who lapsed into fundamentalism.

"Going to Latin Mass" (which is no longer part of the Catholic tradition) just proves that point. 
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 01:25:54 PM »

This thread would not be acceptable if it was about Islam or Judaism, and it should not be acceptable for Catholicism, Protestantism, or any religion.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 02:33:30 PM »

My partner's extended family is conservative Catholic. And with few exceptions, they are accepting of me, even though they don't accept SSM. Through my partner's life and that of some of the nuns' organizations I see a positive community-minded faith that reminds me of some of what I learned in Hebrew School. It's a part of the faith that is only sometimes conveyed by the leadership, which will speak out against war and in favor of caring for the poor one week and then declare a line in the sand on gay rights the next.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 02:40:43 PM »

This thread would be equally acceptable (or unacceptable) if it were about Joe Lieberman and Judaism. It's hard to imagine any other candidates, though.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 03:43:14 PM »

Santorum is a lapsed Catholic who lapsed into fundamentalism.

"Going to Latin Mass" (which is no longer part of the Catholic tradition) just proves that point. 

Nonsense. The Latin mass is at the core of the Catholic tradition. Benedict XVI fully resanctioed it a few years ago.

As for Santorum, I think his strong Catholicism instills a sense of social responsibility,  which helps to moderate what would otherwise be more extreme economic induvidalist positions, so I would say it makes him less objectionable.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 04:38:10 PM »

I'm 94% sure the sole purpose of this thread is to bait Phil.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 05:19:46 PM »

Sure it would be. Santorum is not a run of the mill religious congregant. I don't think it's intolerant to say a fundamentalist Catholic's views are very much at odds with mainstream America's and I would not vote for one. In the same way, a fundamentalist Muslim or an ultra-Orthodox Jew holds values that are also very much at odds with mainstream America's. I wouldn't vote for someone with those views either.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 05:39:56 PM »

No, I don't judge people by their religious affiliation, or lack thereof. Why bother with unnecessary and often misleading and unfair proxies when evaluating individuals?  Individuals are complex enough as it is. In any event, my impression is that Rick tends to take the kernel of some Catholic doctrine, and then go to extremes on it, in a way most Catholics would not. He is not into balancing tests, which is what most of us do, when it comes to ethics, morality or anything else.   
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 05:51:58 PM »

my question is this:
Has Santorum mended the catholic-protestant divide that has traditionally existed?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 05:56:34 PM »

my question is this:
Has Santorum mended the catholic-protestant divide that has traditionally existed?

Said divide has largely been drained of its emotional energy. That has happened in my lifetime. My parents had considerable psychological energy invested in anti-Catholic animus. They considered them almost an American 5th column, e.g., wondering what "hideous" indoctrination was going on in those Catholic schools (such as inducing them to breed like rabbits, the better to demographically dominate), which in my salad days most Catholics attended.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 10:31:56 PM »

(margin found!)

To me it comes down to a matter of priorities in his faith.  Growing up the main dictum(s) I was taught was the Great Commandment and The New Commandment. His more strident criticisms and condemnations are misplaced, wrong and at odds with the aforementioned articles.  They are not a message of inclusion but exclusion. Of course, you have many in the college who put forth the same positions. It is one thing to believe something to be sin- it is quite another to de-humanize those who you think engage in it.

OK but what is the Catholic hierarchy and leadership prioritizing? Like it or not, Santorum is more within their worldview than any liberal is.

My partner's extended family is conservative Catholic. And with few exceptions, they are accepting of me, even though they don't accept SSM. Through my partner's life and that of some of the nuns' organizations I see a positive community-minded faith that reminds me of some of what I learned in Hebrew School. It's a part of the faith that is only sometimes conveyed by the leadership, which will speak out against war and in favor of caring for the poor one week and then declare a line in the sand on gay rights the next.

Unfortunately as noted above the priorities lately have radically changed. When was Paul Ryan condemned by the leadership (not a group of rogue nuns) for his economic plans as much as pro-choice and pro-gay marriage politicians have been?

To be honest here's the root problem here for me: It strikes me as a little absurd to say that Catholicism is generally OK and good and it's just some people like Santorum and the leadership who are ruining it but evangelical Protestantism is fundamentally rotten for rather obvious reasons.

my question is this:

That hasn't been a major factor in anything for around 50 years now.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 10:58:17 PM »

Voted 'less objectionable'.

To be honest here's the root problem here for me: It strikes me as a little absurd to say that Catholicism is generally OK and good and it's just some people like Santorum and the leadership who are ruining it but evangelical Protestantism is fundamentally rotten for rather obvious reasons.

Please elaborate. I'm by no means a fan of the Catholic Church, but don't find them nearly as rotten as evangelical Protestantism.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 10:59:21 PM »

Please elaborate. I'm by no means a fan of the Catholic Church, but don't find them nearly as rotten as evangelical Protestantism.

I'm a liberal evangelical, so....
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 11:14:33 PM »

I thought the ELCA is only Evangelical when that was (mis)translated from Protestant, and that ELCA members aren't considered Evangelical in the modern use of the term.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 11:17:26 PM »

I thought the ELCA is only Evangelical when that was (mis)translated from Protestant, and that ELCA members aren't considered Evangelical in the modern use of the term.

It's not a mistranslation, just an outdated use of the term.

I go to an actual evangelical church now, where just about everyone is a liberal (at least anyone I've added on Facebook).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies