is Rick Santorum more or less objectionable because he is a Roman Catholic? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:32:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  is Rick Santorum more or less objectionable because he is a Roman Catholic? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: is Rick Santorum more or less objectionable because he is a Roman Catholic?
more, his Catholicism exacerbates his objectionability

less, adding conservative evangelical protestantism to the equation would render him utterly unbearable

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: is Rick Santorum more or less objectionable because he is a Roman Catholic?  (Read 8137 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: January 16, 2013, 05:39:56 PM »

No, I don't judge people by their religious affiliation, or lack thereof. Why bother with unnecessary and often misleading and unfair proxies when evaluating individuals?  Individuals are complex enough as it is. In any event, my impression is that Rick tends to take the kernel of some Catholic doctrine, and then go to extremes on it, in a way most Catholics would not. He is not into balancing tests, which is what most of us do, when it comes to ethics, morality or anything else.   
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 05:56:34 PM »

my question is this:
Has Santorum mended the catholic-protestant divide that has traditionally existed?

Said divide has largely been drained of its emotional energy. That has happened in my lifetime. My parents had considerable psychological energy invested in anti-Catholic animus. They considered them almost an American 5th column, e.g., wondering what "hideous" indoctrination was going on in those Catholic schools (such as inducing them to breed like rabbits, the better to demographically dominate), which in my salad days most Catholics attended.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies