is Rick Santorum more or less objectionable because he is a Roman Catholic? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:54:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  is Rick Santorum more or less objectionable because he is a Roman Catholic? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: is Rick Santorum more or less objectionable because he is a Roman Catholic?
more, his Catholicism exacerbates his objectionability

less, adding conservative evangelical protestantism to the equation would render him utterly unbearable

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: is Rick Santorum more or less objectionable because he is a Roman Catholic?  (Read 8120 times)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« on: January 16, 2013, 02:14:05 AM »

Ooh, good question. I think his misuse of Catholicism is a particularly grating quality, which would be impossible without him being Catholic, so more.

(margin found!)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 02:00:33 AM »

Despite all that, as I explained here the deep flaws are just too great to that I would never be willing to associate with Catholicism under any circumstances whatsoever, no matter how I was raised or even if my ancestors were 100% Catholic (mind you many of them were). People should not associate with something they have next to nothing in common of due to accident of birth.

Next wednesday I'll be going to a funeral in Sydney for a friend, who was heavily involved in queer activism (amongst many other things). Half the funeral will be gays, and many of them on the extreme end of the scale.

It will be held at a Catholic church with the whole shebang of catholicism, sans eulogy, avec weird incantations, and I will go and stand up and sit down and maybe even say an appropriately voiceless amen or two.

He would never choose this funeral, but his parents did, and so off I'll go to support them in a difficult time for me, but an awful time for them. I won't allow my serious misgivings and quite frankly dislike for the Catholic church distract myself or the family from the event.

My question is this: What would you do - go and fit in, go and protest, or miss the funeral?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies