Christie condemns NRA ad that invoked President's children
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:57:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Christie condemns NRA ad that invoked President's children
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Christie condemns NRA ad that invoked President's children  (Read 1984 times)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 17, 2013, 08:41:34 PM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/01/17/chris-christie-condemns-nra-ad/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This will serve as yet another strike against Christie with conservatives.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 08:46:44 PM »

Christie could be President if he wants to. Of course the Republican party won't allow it, lol. What a joke party.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 08:47:04 PM »

Good.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 08:50:26 PM »

Well he is only going so far. At the same news conference he refused to answer several questions over if he supports renewing the assault weapons ban, more background checks or banning large ammo clips.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM »

Here's a funny parody of the ad that pretty much shows why theirs is ridiculous:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/e0141717e0/nra-stand-and-fight-parody
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 09:36:39 PM »

Gutsy.  But I think he underestimates the extent of his party's hostility to "dissenters."
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 10:05:46 PM »

Christie has been on fire lately. Good for him. We need someone visible in politics like him.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 10:16:02 PM »

That ad was really f**king awful.
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 10:52:49 PM »

It's gutsy; he's banking on a more sane Republican electorate in 2016. It could really backfire on him, though that chance is just as big as a total victory.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 11:01:58 PM »

Whay's so gutsy about it?  Assuming he does have presidential aspirations, what good does it do him to kowtow to the right wing in a fashion that guarantees that if he wins the nomination he'll lose the election?
ajb
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 11:30:09 PM »

He may have learned from the experience of the Romney candidacy that "pretend to be severely conservative to win the nomination, then pretend to be blandly moderate to win the election" isn't actually such a smart strategy. If winning the nomination means winning over the "severely conservative," then Christie doesn't have a shot. He might as well play this game instead, and see if it gets any traction. If it doesn't, he can just go on being governor of New Jersey.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 06:09:13 AM »

Whay's so gutsy about it?  Assuming he does have presidential aspirations, what good does it do him to kowtow to the right wing in a fashion that guarantees that if he wins the nomination he'll lose the election?

It's always gutsy to be the one guy who takes a stand. There's always safety in numbers, but little solo. Not saying that he's not playing some serious political chess here, but he's still a damn gutsy player.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 05:07:22 PM »

Good for Christie, that ad was one of the most stupid things I've ever heard.
bballrox4717

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 05:17:45 PM »

Because Christie is trying to sound bipartisan and moderate when he is neither of those descriptions. Did everyone just suddenly forget how this guy was before Sandy? He wasn't even close to being bipartisan and it was pretty much agreed that we was to the right of Romney as a pretty traditional union-busting Republican.
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 07:38:20 PM »

Because Christie is trying to sound bipartisan and moderate when he is neither of those descriptions. Did everyone just suddenly forget how this guy was before Sandy? He wasn't even close to being bipartisan and it was pretty much agreed that we was to the right of Romney as a pretty traditional union-busting Republican.

He's been pretty bipartisan. Has he been able to move the state in a more conservative direction? Yes, but he's worked alongside the Democratic legislature on many issues. I don't know where you saw this apparent consensus that he was a "traditional union-busting Republican" (which I assume would be along the lines of Walker/Kasich/etc), but I don't think it was here. In my opinion, Christie is more or less a moderate Republican in the same way that Huntsman is seen as one. Fiscally conservative (but not extreme), realistic foreign policy views, socially moderate (civil unions, environment, drug war, etc), and has a desire to work with Democrats in order to help his state over helping his party.
osideguy92
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.43

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 08:03:04 PM »

Aaaaannnndddd it would seem the 2016 campaign has officially begun! *looks at watch* Wow, and two days before the inauguration from the LAST presidential election, too! That's gotta be a new record!
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 08:11:11 PM »

Aaaaannnndddd it would seem the 2016 campaign has officially begun! *looks at watch* Wow, and two days before the inauguration from the LAST presidential election, too! That's gotta be a new record!
  You think that's impressive, wait until 2016, all of the major news networks will have already projected the 2020 winner by November 1st.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 08:18:28 PM »

It's been going on for more than a year.  Schweitzer was already visiting early primary states in 2011:

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2011/08/09/buzz-building-for-montana-gov-brian-schweitzer-in-2016
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 11:02:47 PM »

Secret Service protection is automatic with the children of the President. It is to prevent kidnapping for blackmail.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2013, 12:04:05 AM »

I don't know where you saw this apparent consensus that he was a "traditional union-busting Republican" (which I assume would be along the lines of Walker/Kasich/etc), but I don't think it was here. In my opinion, Christie is more or less a moderate Republican in the same way that Huntsman is seen as one. Fiscally conservative (but not extreme), realistic foreign policy views, socially moderate (civil unions, environment, drug war, etc), and has a desire to work with Democrats in order to help his state over helping his party.

Christie is always going knuckle-to-knuckle with the state teachers' unions, specifically. But what else is new? Every GOP New Jersey governor seems to run afoul of the NJEA at some point.
bballrox4717

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2013, 08:02:48 AM »

He's been pretty bipartisan. Has he been able to move the state in a more conservative direction? Yes, but he's worked alongside the Democratic legislature on many issues. I don't know where you saw this apparent consensus that he was a "traditional union-busting Republican" (which I assume would be along the lines of Walker/Kasich/etc), but I don't think it was here. In my opinion, Christie is more or less a moderate Republican in the same way that Huntsman is seen as one. Fiscally conservative (but not extreme), realistic foreign policy views, socially moderate (civil unions, environment, drug war, etc), and has a desire to work with Democrats in order to help his state over helping his party.

I agree that Christie was to the left of Walker/Kaisch and such but I always saw him to the right of Romney and Huntsman. I still don't see where the bipartisanship is from; he's an effective user of the bully pulpit and has always had the "my way or the highway" tone.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2013, 08:47:33 AM »

Well that's good to hear, and if this is his tone or if he went in the direction of a Bloomberg it would be worth following the GOP nomination. Still, he's probably thinking about re-election first before any 2016 considerations. Even so, I'd say he's setting himself up nicely to run to the left of the Palin conservatives (now that ain't hard) and the empty-suits. Hopefully, he might oppose them on global warming and even evolution! But global warming is really pushing it.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 03:33:01 PM »

I don't know where you saw this apparent consensus that he was a "traditional union-busting Republican" (which I assume would be along the lines of Walker/Kasich/etc), but I don't think it was here. In my opinion, Christie is more or less a moderate Republican in the same way that Huntsman is seen as one. Fiscally conservative (but not extreme), realistic foreign policy views, socially moderate (civil unions, environment, drug war, etc), and has a desire to work with Democrats in order to help his state over helping his party.

Christie is always going knuckle-to-knuckle with the state teachers' unions, specifically. But what else is new? Every GOP New Jersey governor seems to run afoul of the NJEA at some point.

That was only barely true for Tom Kean and Don Difrancesco. Those types had no issue signing fiscal daggers that gave the NJEA lavish windfall finances while gutting the taxpayer in the back.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2013, 03:44:15 PM »

It's gutsy; he's banking on a more sane Republican electorate in 2016. It could really backfire on him, though that chance is just as big as a total victory.

There isn't a lot to suggest that they're getting more sane, is there?  Though I suppose the absence of the Black will calm them considerably compared to 2012.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2013, 04:45:51 PM »

Like i said before....I wouldnt mind a President Chris Christie
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies