What about Pat Roberts?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:56:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  What about Pat Roberts?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What about Pat Roberts?  (Read 3300 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 18, 2013, 02:58:28 AM »

KS politics isn't my forte, but I'm surprised that there hasn't been any buzz about a primary challenger to Roberts. To me, he seems like the type of Republican the tea party would go after.

With the intra-party upheaval in KS in recent cycles, there surely can't be a shortage of ambitious far-right Republicans there. Maybe Huelskamp? He's become one of the House leadership's most hated caucus members, so I can see him wanting to get out of Boehner's House.
soniquemd21921
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 10:53:54 AM »

It's sad to see the Kansas GOP get taken over by the Southern wannabes, especially considering that this state has been a reliable GOP fortress for so long (just like East Tennessee and rural Michigan).

Of course, the Brownback/ types would have considered Charles Curtis, Arthur Capper, Alf Landon, Frank Carlson and Bob Dole to be "RINO"s as well.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 11:06:19 AM »

Of course, the Brownback/ types would have considered Charles Curtis, Arthur Capper, Alf Landon, Frank Carlson and Bob Dole to be "RINO"s as well.
don't forget Pearson and Kassebaum too
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 12:16:36 AM »

SoS Kris Kobach is staying put. There was some speculation that he may go for a promotion.

Huelskamp is probably the biggest prospective threat to Roberts now.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 01:52:42 PM »

It's sad to see the Kansas GOP get taken over by the Southern wannabes, especially considering that this state has been a reliable GOP fortress for so long (just like East Tennessee and rural Michigan).

Kansas is a three party state: conservative Republicans, "moderate" Republicans and, yeah, Democrats.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 05:13:50 PM »

Well, this race was over quick. Like a boss, today Roberts rolled out endorsements from his most likely potential challengers, Rep. Tim Huelskamp and SOS Kris Kobach. Both Huelskamp and Kobach are as conservative as they come, so this basically precludes any challenge to Roberts from the far-right.

With Roberts' right secure and the general election as a formality, KS wrests the title of "Most Boring 2014 Senate Race" from RI or WY.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 11:53:35 AM »

White evangelical =/= Southern.
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 08:28:42 PM »

Well, this race was over quick. Like a boss, today Roberts rolled out endorsements from his most likely potential challengers, Rep. Tim Huelskamp and SOS Kris Kobach. Both Huelskamp and Kobach are as conservative as they come, so this basically precludes any challenge to Roberts from the far-right.

With Roberts' right secure and the general election as a formality, KS wrests the title of "Most Boring 2014 Senate Race" from RI or WY.

Yep Roberts is boring but effective and amiable enough to keep his job without incident.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 05:34:49 PM »

The SCF endorsed Robert's opponent, Milton Wolf.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 06:12:32 PM »

Roll Eyes

Milton Wolfe brags about getting a couple state legislators to endorse him. Pat Roberts has the endorsement of almost every statewide officer, quite a few big names from out-of-state, and most state legislators.

The only thing Wolfe has on Pat Roberts is that Pat Roberts has been in the Senate for a long time. Roberts has countered by providing countless examples over how his experience has benefited Kansans and the state as a whole. There is also the threat of Fort Leavenworth closing down. Senator Roberts has one of the most conservative voting records in the Senate - the only vote Wolfe is actively criticizing him on is voting to confirm Sebelius, even though Roberts has been saying for months that Sebelius should be fired.

Most folks aren't being shy about their support for Roberts - most Tea Partiers I know are even supporting him. I have no doubt he will win next August. If I were a guessing man, it would be by around a 70-30 margin.
Yogi
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 06:44:05 PM »

Pat Roberts is a solid Republican and Conservative, he's got my support.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 03:47:59 PM »

Primarying Roberts is as about as ridiculous as trying to primary Mike Enzi.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 02:45:28 AM »
« Edited: August 10, 2014, 08:40:30 PM by ModerateVAVoter »

LOL does this make Wolfe a "Huckster" and a "Shyster" too?
Not a Coulter fan at all, but this was hilarious:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv4j_Toi7i0
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 08:33:07 AM »

LOL does this make Wolfe a "Huckster" and a "Shyster" too?
Not a Coulter fan at ALL, but this was hilarious (a while ago, granted):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv4j_Toi7i0

Coulter actually has been rather intelligent since the election in November on this issue, echoing themes that I have been stating for years.

It is patently obvious that certain people have hopped on the tea party bandwagon for personal gain at the expense of the movement. Maes, O'Donnell and others are the most striking examples of this, but they get shielded by this anti-establsihement, "circle the wagons" herd mentality.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 03:06:33 PM »

Wolf takes a page out of Manchin's book (sorta) and runs over Obamacare with his truck in his latest ad.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 03:30:08 PM »

Oh Milton...Roll Eyes
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 01:37:09 PM »

Roberts' internals show him ahead of Wolf 69-15.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 04:01:32 PM »

Looks about right.

Wolf tied Roberts at the State Convention, sponsored by the Young Republicans. It's worth noting that there were several errors in the voting process - the online votes couldn't be counted and when a revote was done, most of the Roberts people have left, so it was literally done in a room full of Wolf supporters (i.e. all his supporters). 
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 03:06:32 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2014, 03:33:04 PM by Mardi Gras Miles »

NYT story on Roberts. It has the usual establishment vs. tea party narrative.  

Whats with this though?

You must be logged in to read this quote.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 05:40:12 PM »

It's hard to do your job well while maintaining a residence back in your state and being there often, especially when you live out West. I wish the American people would understand that better.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 06:14:54 PM »

Jeez. Not as bad as Dick Lugar claiming he lived in an abandoned shack, but still.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 08:51:45 PM »

I predict he gets Lugar'd. However, Kansas is too right-wing for a Democrat to win against whatever lunatic they nominate.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 04:27:49 PM »

No, no, no. There are quite a few differences between the two.

In terms of similarities, they have both been in for quite a while and both raise questions on residency. Roberts still has more of a presence around the state than Lugar did in Indiana.

Now, Roberts has a lot of statewide officials and big names supporting him, while a lot of big names in Indiana decided to sit it out. I believe the entire Kansas delegation has endorsed Roberts, as well as Governor Brownback. Most state representatives and senators are also coming to his side, while many sat out in Indiana.

Roberts has a conservative record - he was rated as one of the five most conservative senators recently by the Heritage Foundation, and has a long list of helping Kansans on specific issues that he can tout in ads. The only thing Wolf really has on Roberts is that he supported Sebelius' confirmation, though Roberts has repeatedly called on her to resign. I don't see outside money coming in for Wolf like it did for Mourdock - most of those organizations just care about getting the most conservative people elected, and while they may slightly prefer Wolf, in terms of voting the two would be almost identical, so it would make more sense to pour resources into states like South Carolina or Mississippi.

73% of Republicans believe Roberts is conservative enough for Kansas - that number probably needs to drop below 40% for Roberts to lose this, and I just don't see what Wolf has on Roberts to get there. People are going to quickly get tired of it if he just keeps attacking Roberts on residency concerns. Roberts currently leads 69-15% - that's not a lot of wiggle room for Wolf to work with. Additionally, Wolf doesn't have the advantage of winning two statewide races like Mourdock had - his name recognition pales and he's not going to get the donors like Mourdock had. His organization is also not nearly as organized and sizeable as Mourdock was - even in the summer of 2011, any political event or parade/county fair you went to had quite a handful of Mourdock supports to maybe just a few Lugar ones. Wolf doesn't have that here, and Roberts has an enthusiastic base of supporters ready to get him re-elected (myself included).

At this point, I would call this race Likely Roberts and give him about a 90% chance of winning.
Andrew1
Rookie
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2014, 03:36:02 PM »

In tweets from a year ago Milton Wolf made comparisons between Obama and the Nazis. It doesn't seem to have received much coverage yet, but this would surely damage Wolf's credibility.

Scapegoats of history: Hitler - Jews & gypsies. Mussolini - Jews & Bolsheviks. #Obama - Successful Americans. #tcot #p2 #gop
— Dr. Milton Wolf (@miltonwolfmd) December 13, 2012

Uh huh. Tell me something. Other than killing Jews, what domestic policy of the Nazis do today's American liberals oppose?
— Dr. Milton Wolf (@miltonwolfmd) March 8, 2013

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/02/milton-wolf-pat-roberts-obama-cousin
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2014, 01:24:17 PM »

This should give Roberts some help:

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies