If MLK wasn't killed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:58:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  If MLK wasn't killed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: If MLK wasn't killed  (Read 4486 times)
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 19, 2013, 10:06:38 PM »
« edited: January 21, 2013, 03:53:47 PM by Jack Enderman »

Horray for a new timeline! Okay, so lets start. Oh, and the reason I'm doing this is to comemerate, and somewhat celebrate MLK Day, by making a timeline! So, enjoy...

1968 MLK is nearly assassinated, but survives. People are really happy that mlk survived. After Kennedy wins the California primary, mlk endorses Bobby, but when he dies, he announces that he will beat tending his funeral. "Mlk's image is seeming to get better and better" New York Times comments at the end of the year..

1969-1972 MLK has grown in popularity, many people consider for him to run for politics, especially in 1970, he said no, mainly because his seat that he is aiming for isn't up until 1974. MLK still is encouraging, and talking to the African-American community.

questions? corrections? comments? if not, I can continue, oh, and I have a question, should I do this?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 10:50:18 PM »

President King!
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 11:12:25 PM »

Aw comon! you spoiled the suprise! Sad But I'll still do the story of it! Smiley
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 09:18:31 PM »

I doubt it.  Since he was politically independent, would he run as one?
wan
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 09:49:18 PM »

I here that he was a Republican.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 07:15:12 AM »
« Edited: January 21, 2013, 07:31:22 AM by Jack Enderman »

my friend said he was a democrat, but in the story I'll make him an independent... then eventually, probably under Reagan, he'll be a republican. Smiley
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 07:30:57 AM »

well, he was a democrat, but I think he was mainly an independent
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 07:36:57 AM »

okay, here's the update

1972 MLK runs as an independent for the Georgia Senate seat, and he wins! The main reason he won was because of the voting African Americans, whom have had his support throughout his senatoral campaign.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 10:48:28 AM »
« Edited: January 21, 2013, 03:25:34 PM by Jack Enderman »

Even newer update!

1972-1976 Senator King is not only the first African American senator, he is also the first Independent senator from Georgia. Okay, so his first term was pretty much uneventfull, just multiple interviews, passing Congressional ledgislature, and responding to comments of him running for President. He declines of the offers, and endorses President Nixon for his reelection, and endorses multiple other southern politicians, except Governor Carter.

1976 During a special election to fill the spot of governor in Georgia, Senator King won that seat, and got to serve as Governor of Georgia.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 12:25:41 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2013, 12:27:24 PM by Kalwejt »

Christ, learn to spell.

I here that he was a Republican.

You too.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 12:29:43 PM »

Horray for a new timeline! Okay, so lets start. Oh, and the reason I'm doing this is to comemerate, and somewhat celebrate MLK Day, by making a timeline! So, enjoy...

1968 MLK is nearly assassinated, soon civil rights activists find James E. Ray, and nearly kill him, but they ask MLK what to do with him, so under MLK's directions, they send him to the Supreme Court of Tennessee, he is later convicted of near murder, thus life in prison, but the African American community doesn't feel like that was enough, so they send him to the Supreme Court, there, he is sentenced to death, but it was to be held after the 1968 election.

Do you have any idea about judicial system and penal code?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 01:03:06 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2013, 01:06:40 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

well, he was a democrat, but I think he was mainly an independent
No, he wasn't a Democrat.  The Congressional candidates he endorsed were mostly Republicans.  He was neither a Democrat nor a Republican.  I remember watching an old interview he did for NBC in 1957, and he said that both parties were found wanting on civil rights.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
-Martin Luther King Jr., in 1958
Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 01:08:40 PM »

my friend said he was a democrat, but in the story I'll make him an independent... then eventually, probably under Reagan, he'll be a republican. Smiley
I don't think MLK would have supported Ronald Reagan
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 03:20:20 PM »

I don't think MLK would have supported Ronald Reagan

I meant that in my story milk will meet Reagan. But you might be right.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 03:31:24 PM »

1968 MLK is nearly assassinated, soon civil rights activists find James E. Ray, and nearly kill him, but they ask MLK what to do with him, so under MLK's directions, they send him to the Supreme Court of Tennessee, he is later convicted of near murder, thus life in prison, but the African American community doesn't feel like that was enough, so they send him to the Supreme Court, there, he is sentenced to death, but it was to be held after the 1968 election.

I changed it.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 03:41:31 PM »

I changed it.

First of all, a failed assassination attempt was neither state nor federal capital crime. Second, there was an effective moratorium on executions in the United States after 1967. Third, you have no idea about trial procedure: the Supreme Count is the last instance of appeals.

I mean what the fyck, kid? I appreciate your enthusiasm but learn about some basic facts before spamming this board. 
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 03:48:27 PM »

I changed it.

First of all, a failed assassination attempt was neither state nor federal capital crime. Second, there was an effective moratorium on executions in the United States after 1967. Third, you have no idea about trial procedure: the Supreme Count is the last instance of appeals.

I mean what the fyck, kid? I appreciate your enthusiasm but learn about some basic facts before spamming this board. 

I'm sorry.. I'm actually just starting politics, and this was just for my entertainment.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 03:54:46 PM »

I changed it.

Okay,if that's not good you could just do it how it would be.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 04:47:49 PM »

I changed it.

I'm sorry.. I'm actually just starting politics, and this was just for my entertainment.
Don't use this board for your own entertainment.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 04:48:11 PM »

I changed it.

Sorry for snapping at you. Naturally we all have to start and it's great to have young people becoming interested in politics. Just please keep three things in mind:

1. When you post something on the forum it's no longer just for your entertainment. There are standards of posting.
2. Try to be realistic. Checking facts is never a waste of time.
3. Better use spell check (feature you can see when you're posting). Personally, I'm using it constantly since I'm not a native English speaker.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2013, 05:16:01 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2013, 06:15:08 PM by Jack Enderman »

I changed it.

Don't use this board for your own entertainment.

I meant to add "and other people's entertainment" but I was rushed, so I forgot.

Okay, thanks...
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2013, 05:29:24 PM »

I changed it.

Sorry for snapping at you. Naturally we all have to start and it's great to have young people becoming interested in politics. Just please keep three things in mind:

1. When you post something on the forum it's no longer just for your entertainment. There are standards of posting.
3. Better use spell check (feature you can see when you're posting). Personally, I'm using it constantly since I'm not a native English speaker.
Am I the only one who thinks this is a sock/troll?
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2013, 06:17:22 PM »

I changed it.

It's okay, I don't mind really, I will keep those things in mind..
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 06:20:16 PM »

I think his career stalls out in the House of Representatives, but he spends his entire life there and becomes incredibly well-respected, a la John Lewis. There's even the chance he becomes Speaker at some point.

A lot of the universal regard MLK has today is because he was cut down before his time. He would have been more controversial otherwise, especially with his growing anti-war activism and socialist leanings. He would have been a well-regarded civil rights leader no matter what, but he was likely too left-wing for a statewide election, most likely, to say nothing of the Presidency.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2013, 06:23:41 PM »

I think his career stalls out in the House of Representatives, but he spends his entire life there and becomes incredibly well-respected, a la John Lewis. There's even the chance he becomes Speaker at some point.

A lot of the universal regard MLK has today is because he was cut down before his time. He would have been more controversial otherwise, especially with his growing anti-war activism and socialist leanings. He would have been a well-regarded civil rights leader no matter what, but he was likely too left-wing for a statewide election, most likely, to say nothing of the Presidency.

Thanks for getting us back on topic Ray Goldfield. I wouldn't have thought of mlk as near socialist.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies